Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
It's hard to tell if you're being serious or not. It's rather telling you didn't specify which tablets are so much better. If you say play book or xoom, you have no credibility in my book.
Not Possible !!
Count them again !!

The iPad doesn't support Flash
AND
it only has 512MB of RAM.

I call !@#$%, with so many better tablets out on the market.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
This is awesome for Apple. The more they the build out the Chinese market, and others like it, the faster they'll be moving up on Walmart and Exxon on the list of world's largest companies! The market demand there is enormous! :apple:

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
OMG, they made this in china by slave workers, and they sell them at higher price than USA? Also china average workers have the fraction of money amercian made, and they have to pay more?
wow apple is business who only care about money, they should go back to america and setup factories, so china workers can have cheaper apple product.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
OMG, they made this in china by slave workers, and they sell them at higher price than USA? Also china average workers have the fraction of money amercian made, and they have to pay more?
wow apple is business who only care about money, they should go back to america and setup factories, so china workers can have cheaper apple product.

It's probably because of import tax... Yes it's stupid to charge the Chinese import tax for a made-in-China product, but I think that's what's happening.

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
I like how China has progressed into a developed nation. Sure they have problems, but I can certainly see them as being the world's greatest superpower by 2025.

iLoyal

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
Not to mention that we KNOW nobody in China can afford Apple electronics.

You're funny.There are probably NOBODY in China know that people like you still exist; or is it just that they don't care if you exist or not because give it some years, China will rise while you crawl back to the hole you came from.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
go buy your 2% of the market tablets that are unfinished products with poor support. If you want flash buy a netbook.

It's hard to tell if you're being serious or not. It's rather telling you didn't specify which tablets are so much better. If you say play book or xoom, you have no credibility in my book.

Come on, guys. Even Winni got that it was sarcasm, and I don't think they have that in Germany.

You're funny.There are probably NOBODY in China know that people like you still exist; or is it just that they don't care if you exist or not because give it some years, China will rise while you crawl back to the hole you came from.
Ditto. :rolleyes:

iLoyal

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010

:] It's called "Work for your need, nothing is free." Unlike people like you, who show no appreciation. I am glad that Steve Job has a different mind process than your; or else, Apple would of went broke already. It's *BUSINESS*, all about money; not cheeseburgers and tacos.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
This is awesome for Apple. The more they the build out the Chinese market, and others like it, the faster they'll be moving up on Walmart and Exxon on the list of world's largest companies! The market demand there is enormous! :apple:

How will that make your life better or more complete?

sagnier

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
i wonder if anyone in that queue is just there to pick up a laptop case or something...

bbmiLo

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
I don't understand why iPads cost more in China than in the States when they are made by the former. Surely they are saving on shipping costs?

Duties and taxes, imposed by government.
In general Apple products are ~25% more expensive in China compared to USA, but Apple is not making the extra money, it's duties/taxes going to the Government.

Another good example is automobiles, same cars in China is 250% of USA price, because of duties/taxes.

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
China has been growing their economy like gangbusters in the past few years. The real question is: is the growth sustainable? I don't blame Apple and other western companies for trying to tap the emerging market, I would just be cautious about it.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Great that Apple's iPad is successful in China too! Isn't it all over the world anyway? :p

But to put a little perspective on the line. China has a population of about 1300 million people, and 4 Apple retail stores. A considerable amount of these people are 'middle-class' or higher. That's a lot of people per store.

http://www.apple.com.cn/retail/storelist/

I would expect long lines :)

gerrycurl

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2004
15% markup

i've been living in shanghai for the past 3.5 years, that 15% is tax, similar to VAT in the UK, this is placed on all luxury type items, cars see an even higher markup, you could see BMW's sell for $25K USD in the US and easily sell for $50K USD in China, 200% markup.

the reasons are several fold, the government can do anything they want, they want a part of the cut, and sometimes this tactic is used to limit competitiveness of foreign brands, an example is the car space, the chinese brand cars like cherry sell for under $5K USD (worth that price, too).

regarding the flagship apple store in shanghai, i was there the night before the ipad 2 launch just passing by and i noticed that they had a long line already building up. personally the wifi models are not that useful, i want 3G.

and i'm a little insulted about reading some comments about an agrarian culture moving into industrial, china already passed that stage during the eighties. the upper class has grown since the nineties. and there is no middle class in china, you're either rich, or poor. people lining up to buy ipad2 are rich.

i have lived in a number of big cities like atlanta, boston, tokyo (japan), and shanghai. it wasn't until i came here to shanghai that i felt poor, granted that tokyo is one of the most expensive places in the world. and i'm making easily over 6 digit USDs. i've never seen so many ferraris, lamborghinis, bentleys' in my life. people buy stuff in cash here and often times in sets. now it's certainly not a majority of people that can roll like that here, but there are many, you see these things daily. hence my feeling of being poor.

house prices in china are also through the roof, easily over half a million USD for a 100 square meter flat in downtown. people also buy these with cash.

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Gerry, the VAT in China is plain 17%, not 15%, and it's on everything in the market, not just the luxury goods. Apple is actually doing their Chinese customers a favor here, lowering the prices to slightly below the normal prices with taxes.

I'm no law expert, but I'm sure VAT is pretty common across the world, and it's not just about a greedy government, it's actually an important part of the overall tax structure in most countries. If VAT is eliminated or reduced, something else must be taxed(a lot) to compensate for the loss in government funding. The Chinese people tend to avoid income tax a lot - if you know them well you will know that I'm talking the truth here - and that's why VAT is so high, because it's a simple and efficient way of supporting the overall tax structure.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
How does it make your life better or more complete to constantly troll these forums to bother people who enjoy seeing Apple succeed?

As a consumerI find it odd to see such a blind following and constant cheerleading about how much money a company is making off of consumers like myself. Of course I'm sure these same cheerleaders are ecstatic about the price of gasoline too. It's great to see Exxon raking in those billions.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Not Possible !!
Count them again !!

The iPad doesn't support Flash
AND
it only has 512MB of RAM.

I call !@#$%, with so many better tablets out on the market.

For the less intelligent on these forums, here is why this is most likely sarcasm: "Not possible!! Count them again!!"

Thank you for your time, and may this learning experience be passed down to your children.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
As a consumerI find it odd to see such a blind following and constant cheerleading about how much money a company is making off of consumers like myself. Of course I'm sure these same cheerleaders are ecstatic about the price of gasoline too. It's great to see Exxon raking in those billions.

We've already been over this. Apple creates innovative devices that people enjoy using; not once have I said "OMG, I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MORE GAS! IT'S SO AWESOME!"

No one is forcing you to buy any Apple products, so if you don't like their pricing strategy then don't buy them. Many other people think that they are worth it.

This pricing strategy has also even been beneficial to the consumer! Thanks to Apple's ability to make profit (and sell many devices) they've been able to prepay for large amounts of components. This drives component prices down so that they can create products (iPad) that the competition has a hard time price matching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.