Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suzanne2go

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Hi, I am a total Noob to my iPad 2!! Very excited but I want to get some cool accessories. My son-in-law told me about the Camera Connection Kit - so that is on my list. I am also going to order a case in the next couple days before it gets all scratched up. Any recommendations? 3rd party the best?

Any advice for a Noob would be appreciated.

Suzanne

techdave

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Great question Suzanne, I am new too and will watch this thread. I already ordered a case and as soon as it comes in I will come back and tell you if it's as good as advertised.

Is there something about the Camera Connection Kit that is special?

Dave

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
when I have a friend that gets an ipad and has no desire to fight and read the macrumor wars here and just wants it to work nicely, I get them a smartcover color of their choice and a plastic back from marware, xgear or others - sometimes if just for home use, a simple skin back from bestskinsever or icarbon will do.

Get a stylus from amazon - boxwave or nataal - using your fingers is pedestrian after using a stylus

surface is glass so it won't scratch but if you want, a crystal or non glare film from power support or steinheil works too.

Extra power cube from apple never hurts...

be careful of the cases/accessories in the first ten posts here that are titled "awesome new case" and then with an ebay link. Many shills here vs real owners...

Last edited:

LDTaylor85

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
As of last month I was a newb to the ipad2 as well. I went on eBay and bought a few different cases. None of which satisfied me, so last week I went down to target and bought a blue smart cover and I ordered a carbon fiber skin for the back, this works perfect for me. So don't be afraid to try different cases/styles but I'd recommend trying the smart cover first.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
Definitely get a stylus. The targus/boxwave style works great. There's plenty I use my fingers for, but I absolutely love finally being able to write on a computer for some apps.

Also, try to get a case that has spot for the stylus... There really weren't any when bought my case, and now I'm trying to figure out how to DIY it onto the case.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
My advice is stick to the essentials for now and WAIT on other accessories until you have specific needs. Nothing worse than spending a bunch of money on stuff you never use, but bought because someone on the Internet said it was cool. :D

Essentials = some form of protection for the back and front. I use a Best Skins Ever skin on the back, Apple Smart cover, and a $7 static-cling type screen protector from eBay.

The only ipad accessory I own other than the above "Essentials" is: Acase 2nd Generation Stylus

The single reason I own it is for highlighting PDF files for my grad school classes using the PDF Expert application. Other than that use-case, I'd have no need to have a stylus.

suzanne2go

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
WOW! These are some great suggestions. I got a stylus the other day and the screen stays a lot cleaner. I wonder how long till I lose it LOL!!

Dave, from what I understand, the Camera Connection Kit gives you a USB on the iPad. I'll ask my kids more about it. I can tell already I will never again be upset to wait for a long time in a Doctor's office waiting room, or in the Examining room. I can just watch a movie!

Suzanne

Last edited:

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
I have this and it works great. Glen_e mentioned Nataal stylus above. The pictures of these styli on Amazon look identical except for the logo. Does anyone know if they are in fact the same? Except for price! Natal is $5 cheaper!

Yea there are the same stylus. Same weight, size and squishy tip.

sophiarl9

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
I definitely agree! For a newbie, Ipad SmartCase is absolutely recommended. It gives great protection on your Ipad LCD plus it is rigid making it absolutely shock free!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.