Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmojones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I've been a long time follower of this site, but I've never felt so compelled to pull upon the resources of the populous until now. I "accidentally" updated my Airport Extreme to the newest firmware 7.5.2, although doing so in the past has caused me nothing but headaches. I initially thought that the problems might have been due to the hard drive that I had attached to the USB port, but I have detached it and the problem continues to happen. For simplicity's sake, I will call the unedited, completely default setting state State 1 (After I hold the reset button on the back of the router). I will also call the state after updating the settings ONE TIME, State 2. I have a gigabit ethernet version of the Airport Extreme. I also have Mac OS X 10.6.7, but I have had the same problems using earlier versions of OS X, back to the release date of 7.5.2 (as early as 12/16/2010 per http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1106).

I can update any setting(s) on my Airport Extreme ONE TIME (to State 2), but it will not update ANY setting afterward. If I attempt to make one change after the initial setup, then the Airport will not restart properly--it will not connect properly, it will not assign an address using DHCP, it will not do anything at all. I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to start properly, but it will not have saved any changes, and will restart in State 2.

It is the strangest thing that I have experienced with an Apple product. I noticed this problem when updating to the 7.5.2 firmware before, so I have always downgraded to 7.4.2 in the past. The reason that I cannot do this now is that my cache of archived Airport firmware (located in ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware) has been erased after formatting and reinstalling 10.6 (I like clean installs). IF ANYONE CAN UPLOAD THE 7.4.2 AIRPORT EXTREME FIRMWARE, THEN I WOULD BE FOREVER GRATEFUL.

Has anyone else had to deal with this problem?

Please help, as Apple support and every other site that I've visited has removed support for the 7.4.2 firmware or any other option for repair at this point. Thank any and everyone in advance for their help, as it is very much appreciated. I have tried to be as detailed as possible with this post, but please let me know of any details that you'd prefer.

With much appreciation,
--Jones

Last edited:

cmojones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Here you go, hope it helps,

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl849

I am also a poor student so i feel your pain, but if im ever around where you are you owe me a drink!

That link just redirects me to this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1218, where they tell you to use the update firmware option within Airport Utility. I have done this and that's what's gotten me stuck with the 7.5.2 firmware.

Thanks for trying to help though!

If anyone could send me a zip archive of their "~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware" folder, I'd be very grateful.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
If you want to just revert back to the previous firmware, I believe you can do that right in Airport. Just click on Manual Setup and the click on the firmware version and it should let you go back to the previous one, at least it's that way on my Time Capsule.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
That link just redirects me to this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1218, where they tell you to use the update firmware option within Airport Utility. I have done this and that's what's gotten me stuck with the 7.5.2 firmware.

Thanks for trying to help though!

If anyone could send me a zip archive of their "~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware" folder, I'd be very grateful.

If you select in the Airport Utility top toolbar - "Upload Firmware" from the AEBS drop-down menu, you will be given a selection of which firmware you need:

upld.jpg

cmojones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
If you select in the Airport Utility top toolbar - "Upload Firmware" from the AEBS drop-down menu, you will be given a selection of which firmware you need:

View attachment 284335

This is because you guys actually have that firmware saved on your computer in the ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware folder. I don't have this and I cannot revert back to an earlier version because of it, as I've said a couple of times above.

Could one of you guys post a link to or somehow zip and send me your ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware folder? It would be much appreciated.

adizonevic

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
This is because you guys actually have that firmware saved on your computer in the ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware folder. I don't have this and I cannot revert back to an earlier version because of it, as I've said a couple of times above.

Could one of you guys post a link to or somehow zip and send me your ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware folder? It would be much appreciated.

Here you go (not sure which model you have):
http://apsu.apple.com/data/109/061-6289.20090623.Bh8Io/7.4.2.basebinary

cmojones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
GREAT!!! Thanks so much! How did you find this? If it's the wrong one, is there any method that I can use to search for it on my own without bothering you?

All taken care of! I found a site with all of the addresses to all of the old firmware and just downloaded all of the 7.4.2 firmware for the different Apple hardware until I found the one that was compatible with my device. Thanks to everyone who helped. Below is the link for the site. The same file is located in the ~/Library/Application Support/Apple/AirPort/Firmware folder on your hard drive if you've ever gotten an update for your airport device.

http://apsu.apple.com/version.xml

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.