Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Lots of people here in PT complained about those display issues...

Well, I'll be exchanging it again in the near future.

For the record, I could have told them this March 16.

Does anyone have a good description of the issue?
My iPad 2 has a very visible amber/yellow glow along the long left side where the smart cover magnets attach.

The amber/yellow glow is distinctly visible in low-light conditions, while watching a letter-boxed movie with the iPad 2 in landscape. Where there should be a dark border, I see the amber/yellow light leaking out from the edge--but only on the edge where the smart cover attaches.

So is that what the light leakage looks like or does everybody's iPad 2 have that problem?

Yeah, I also see light leak in from the edges, maybe its the same thing as they are talking about...?

But... But... I thought this leakage was normal, and not a problem. At least, that's what some fanboys said here. Where are they now? :mad:

I am on my 3rd iPad 2 going on 4th and EVERY SINGLE F&#$ING one has SEVERE back light bleeding! I am a HUGE Apple fan and I am EXTREMELY disappointed!

I have formed a personal relationship with the senior manager at the local Apple Store and the staff there pretty much flat out told me that EVERY iPad 2 they see has backlight bleeding problems!

I am happy to see that Apple is aware of this and working to correct it. I am NOT happy that Apple is shipping MILLIONS of iPads with DEFECTIVE screens! Antenna Gate was one thing, I never have had issues with that, but the iPad 2 screens are DEFECTIVE PERIOD!

I will not stop exchanging mine until I get an iPad with a screen that is NOT defective. And I expect compensation for the IMMENSE inconvenience and having to drive a long distance going on 4 times now to the Apple Store only to get a brand new iPad 2 that is worse than the one before it!

I am continuing to work with Apple Care to document all of these defective iPads with case numbers, I am continuing to work with the senior manager at the local Apple Store, I have taken pictures to document the defective screens, I have emailed Steve Jobs and the entire executive team, I have submitted to Mac Rumors, Apple Insider, Engadget and so on to try to expose this problem. I am disappointed that this issue has not gotten the press and exposure it deserves and I call on everyone here to SPEAK UP because I know it is a wide spread issue. Literally EVERY iPad 2 I have seen has this problem and I'm talking out of 50 or so that I just casually see day to day, EVERY SINGLE ONE has a defective screen!

Let's get this issue resolved people. Apple needs to acknowledge this and compensate those that are affected!

The pic below is my 3rd iPad 2. It is actually not that bad, which is pathetic! I have had much worse on those before it!

Attachments

• iPad2.jpg
    iPad2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 167

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
I don't really know why Apple use LG.

LG have never been a premium brand when it comes to their own TV's. They are generally well priced, and have some neat features, but they are not ever really regarded as the one to go for if you want the best quality.

Because its cheap. Apple goes with the cheapest supplier who can meet demand.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Thank you Apple for stopping shipments of bad units rather than just counting revenues and shipping all you can, QA demands be damned. :)

Annoying, yeah, but at the same time commendable in my opinion.

Whaditis

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Because its cheap. Apple goes with the cheapest supplier who can meet demand.

Not Necessarily, IPS manufacturers like LG are not dime a dozen.

Where exactly do you go if you are Apple and demand IPS for your panels? If you look at the total cost of an iPad, the panel consists of a good portion of the total cost. (15 to 20%)

How many manufacturers out there produce IPS and in what volume?

IPS panels are not exactly what I would consider as cheap just because LG manufactures them.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Screengate !

It's Screengate

Another classic example of Apples denial, going into silence, keeping customers in the dark, and just not caring about anything but the almighty dollar.

It's how Steve Jobs is wired.

Screw everyone, just give Apple your money.

gonnabuyamacbsh

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2010
Can I call apple to find out if my ipad is getting the new samsung screen? Do I just call their customer service number?

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Count me as someone who can see this on my iPad if I try and yet has been bothered by it in real-world usage exactly 0 times so far.

Even if your not bothers why do you think its not a problem, to me this is not a candy bar where perfection is not a must. If this problem is there what other hidden problems could there be, Apple is about quality that why we come back again and again. :)

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
It's Screengate

Another classic example of Apples denial, going into silence, keeping customers in the dark, and just not caring about anything but the almighty dollar.

It's how Steve Jobs is wired.

Screw everyone, just give Apple your money.

Ah a troll in the forest.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Not Necessarily, IPS manufacturers like LG are not dime a dozen.

Where exactly do you go if you are Apple and demand IPS for your panels? If you look at the total cost of an iPad, the panel consists of a good portion of the total cost. (15 to 20%)

How many manufacturers out there produce IPS and in what volume?

IPS panels are not exactly what I would consider as cheap just because LG manufactures them.

Imagine what or how much more headache they will have when retinal display come out, that even more precision of a finished product. But like anything in life they learn and make adjustment can't catch all the problems even if some people think they should. :rolleyes:

Hal Jordan

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
Funny how when things "just work" it's all to Apple's credit. But once shlt falls apart, it's time to blame the suppliers. Gotta love the iFans. Since we're talking of suppliers, too bad Apple is suing their most reliable supplier, Samsung. All the iFools who truly believe Samsung needs Apple more than Apple needs Samsung, should stop drinking the iKool-Aid. This is what happens when you are not a true OEM. You're at the will of your supplier.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I got my black iPad 2 on launch day and I've yet to see this problem on mine. Maybe I just got lucky...

Or one with a display from Samsung, and not LG.

Can I call apple to find out if my ipad is getting the new samsung screen? Do I just call their customer service number?

HAHA, wish it worked that way, no one over the phone will know that just by looking at it.

Last edited:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe it's time for Apple to consider producing their own panels, maybe in the US and Europe.

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
Count me as someone who can see this on my iPad if I try and yet has been bothered by it in real-world usage exactly 0 times so far.

It's funny, earlier today was the first I saw it from the right corner of my Verizon White 64GB (on a solid black background). Whether it's or progressive thing or either "there or not" over the life, I don't know.

Does anyone else see lines on their powered off screen? They are only visible in the right light/angle and very slight, but I'm curious if they are characteristic of a certain panel...just speculating.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
My ipad 2 that i picked up a couple of days ago from a 3 store seems fine in terms of light leakage. Only problem is the white plastic is detached from the glass at the top left and i can push it in. I can also push the glass panel down slightly at the bottom right because the glue hasn't stuck properly. Wonder if I should take it back. Only problem is with it not being an apple store im willing to bet theyd be reluctant to swap it for me.

I have had to swap my iPhone 3GS. I initially bought it at an AT&T store never went back there be3n dealing with the Apple Stores directly. They will have no problem helping you. Remember: It's Apple's product their reputation not the third party store's.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Thank you Apple for stopping shipments of bad units rather than just counting revenues and shipping all you can, QA demands be damned. :)

Annoying, yeah, but at the same time commendable in my opinion.

Yes. But it would be much more commendable if Apple used some quality suppliers for their LCDs like Samsung.

Whaditis

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Yes. But it would be much more commendable if Apple used some quality suppliers for their LCDs like Samsung.

If they went with Samsung then the iPad panels would all be Vertical Alignment (VA or S-PVA).

I don't think Jobs would go for that with all the "black crush" that VA panels exhibit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.