Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
Just updated to iOS 4.3.3 on my wife's iPad 1, and noticed that the multitouch option was not there in Settings. So I plug it in Xcode (3.2.6), and selected used for development. Everything proceeded as expected on the computer, but there was no multitouch gesture! Nothing in Settings as in it was never activated. Please help :(

[EDIT] Apparent this issue only exists if you use Redsn0w to jb your iPad. Thanks to Charadis for the tip. Use PwnageTool and you'll be OK.

Last edited:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Just updated to iOS 4.3.3 on my wife's iPad 1, and noticed that the multitouch option was not there in Settings. So I plug it in Xcode (3.2.6), and selected used for development. Everything proceeded as expected on the computer, but there was no multitouch gesture! Nothing in Settings as in it was never activated. Please help :(

You need Xcode 4.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
You need Xcode 4.

Xcode 3.2.6 worked on my iPad 2 iOS 4.3 in enabling the gesture. Are you sure I need xcode 4 for iOS 4.3.3? or you didn't know it can be done on Xcode 3 (at least previosly)?

Last edited:

jdeantrash

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Seem 4.3.3 removes it. I went into the plist useing iphone explorer and the setting was set to false. Changed it to true and rebooted and still not recognized. Seems apple disabled it. Kind of makes my ipad very unwieldy to use after getting used to the gestures.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
So you just can't enable it now, right? Because I still have the gestures after updating. I used Xcode 4 when I first got my iPad 2.

jdeantrash

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
It's weird. Maybe i'll just do a restore and start from scratch, could have something to do with the jailbreak I have on that device.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
I can confirm that Xcode 4 does not work to enable multitasking gesture on my iPad 1 (iOS 4.3.3). I can select to "use for development", but option to enable gesture did not show up in Settings.

I also try the methods in Posts #1 and #15 in this thread. Unfortunately, also no luck. It's like nothing was changed (no gestures what so ever).

So... iOS 4.3.3 officially broke the multitasking gesture?

(The iPad 1 was previous enabled for gesture at iOS 4.2.1. Instead of "update", I used "restore" to iOS 4.3.3, jailbreak and then restore with backup)

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
Since I don't own a Mac, I did the method of modifying the plist file in my latest backup file, and restored the backup file to my iPad 2 through iTunes.

http://www.icopybot.com/blog/enable-multitouch-gestures-on-ipad-without-jailbreaking.htm

Anyone try this method in 4.3.3?

I'm not updating if this method isn't working.

I indicated in the above post that I tried adding the two lines of scripts using a Mac and SSH. Did NOT work! I doubt your method (essentially the same thing) would work.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
So you just can't enable it now, right? Because I still have the gestures after updating. I used Xcode 4 when I first got my iPad 2.

Could you give us some details of your iPad? Like, was it jailbroken, did you just do the update (not restore) as prompted by iTunes?

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
So do new iPad 2s ship with iOS 4.3.3? I have a friend that is waiting for his and wants me to enable the gestures for him.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Could you give us some details of your iPad? Like, was it jailbroken, did you just do the update (not restore) as prompted by iTunes?

Were you jailbroken? Far as I know, there isn't a jailbreak for the iPad 2 yet... so that might be a reason why benhollberg's gesturing still works on his iPad 2. I'd still like to know if any iPad 2 owners tried the method I did on 4.3.3.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
iPad 1, tried Xcode after restored to fresh 4.3.3 but no go. It was then jailbroken with redsn0w, tried messing the scripts in the plist files and still no luck.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
iPad 1, tried Xcode after restored to fresh 4.3.3 but no go. It was then jailbroken with redsn0w, tried messing the scripts in the plist files and still no luck.

I posted on your other thread already, but I also jailbroke my original iPad through Redsn0w. When I noticed I lost the multitasking gestures, I searched frantically for a solution with no luck.

Then I downloaded the PwnageTool (for Mac) to create a custom IPSW of iOS 4.3.3. When I restored my iPad with this firmware and synced with Xcode, the Multitasking Gestures option in my General Settings menu was restored. You can try using a different jailbreaking tool, or just restore to the official (nonmodified) firmware, and I believe your Multitasking Gestures will be restored if it's that important to you.

It's important to me. ;)

-C

Sent from my MacBook Pro

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
I posted on your other thread already, but I also jailbroke my original iPad through Redsn0w. When I noticed I lost the multitasking gestures, I searched frantically for a solution with no luck.

Then I downloaded the PwnageTool (for Mac) to create a custom IPSW of iOS 4.3.3. When I restored my iPad with this firmware and synced with Xcode, the Multitasking Gestures option in my General Settings menu was restored. You can try using a different jailbreaking tool, or just restore to the official (nonmodified) firmware, and I believe your Multitasking Gestures will be restored if it's that important to you.

It's important to me. ;)

-C

Sent from my MacBook Pro

Thank you. Following your method, I got my gestures back :)

jdeantrash

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Finally, after several restores and different attempts I finally got my gestures back. Strangely enough, if using a default 4.3.3 image with a standard restore, the gestures wouldn't work even in development mode. It took a restore to pristine, jailbreak with redsn0w (enable multigesture in options) then a restore backup to get the gestures back. Wish Apple would make it actually part of the working image already.

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Finally, after several restores and different attempts I finally got my gestures back. Strangely enough, if using a default 4.3.3 image with a standard restore, the gestures wouldn't work even in development mode. It took a restore to pristine, jailbreak with redsn0w (enable multigesture in options) then a restore backup to get the gestures back. Wish Apple would make it actually part of the working image already.

Guys, if you are a "developer" then XCode still will unlock the multi-gestures for a fresh 4.3.3 image without the need to Jailbreak. Just make sure the profile is properly provisioned... No need to restore from backup or the need for redsn0w.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Guys, if you are a "developer" then XCode still will unlock the multi-gestures for a fresh 4.3.3 image without the need to Jailbreak. Just make sure the profile is properly provisioned... No need to restore from backup or the need for redsn0w.

So can I use Xcode 4 from the Mac App Store to activate those gestures still? What does it mean for the profile to be properly provisioned?

Cha

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
So can I use Xcode 4 from the Mac App Store to activate those gestures still? What does it mean for the profile to be properly provisioned?

Technically you can use the XCode 4 from the app store. But remember you have have to be developer to enable the multi-gestures. When you mark your i-device as a developer device then it goes through a process of creating a developer profile. After the profile is created then you will have the ability to enable the gestures.

When you reimage (restore) the iPad, you have to go to XCode -> Window -> Organizer to re-provision the device.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Technically you can use the XCode 4 from the app store. But remember you have have to be developer to enable the multi-gestures. When you mark your i-device as a developer device then it goes through a process of creating a developer profile. After the profile is created then you will have the ability to enable the gestures.

When you reimage (restore) the iPad, you have to go to XCode -> Window -> Organizer to re-provision the device.

I am not a member of the Apple Developer program, however I did use Xcode 4 in my iPad 2 to enable gestures by just pressing "Use for Development" and then it enabled the gestures. I didn't sign in or anything. My friend has an iPad 2 on the way and wants me to enable gestures for him, so basically what your telling me is I can't since I am not an official developer. Well maybe the iPad 2 won't come with iOS 4.3.3 on it.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

You do _not_ have to be a developer or create a developer profile to enable the gestures.

I enabled Multitasking gestures for a friend's iPad 2 (he didn't want to buy Xcode 4). I plugged it in, clicked "Use for development", and then did *not* sign in when it prompted me for my Apple developer account.

Multitasking gestures was still enabled on his device. It just wasn't added to any developer profile or anything.

Also, my iPad 2 is running 4.3.3, and Multitasking gestures is still enabled and working.

Some posts make it sound like you can no longer enable it on 4.3.3 - but it still works if you update to 4.3.3, while the original post makes it sound like it is LOST if you upgrade to 4.3.3, which I know isn't true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.