Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spydr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2005
MD
During most part of the last 10 years, in my experience with various systems, voice recognition has been frustration due to high error rates and not to forget the higher processing power needed ensure great accuracy — I am not surprised that Apple deliberately treaded slowly in this market. I have a feeling now the technology has matured enough for a wider implementation in the OS, but as usual, all will rest on how well it is integrated, in addition to its speed and accuracy.

Just "Vinnie"

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
…and people figured out a long time ago that watching videos on the computer appeared cool in movies, but not so cool in reality.

When did people ever condemn watching video on a computer screen (or think it was too far fetched?) This analogy doesn't even come close to comparing voice interaction with our devices vs. what we have now.

Just like people don't want touch capabilities on a laptop, the same holds true for voice input. Who the hell wants to "speak" to a device all the time? Especially around other people? Other than niche markets, I'm just not seeing this as something ready for prime time.

Hell, we can't even use our real voices in real time on our phones. It's all texting.

That being said... the computer female on my GPS sounds really hot. (But she's a nag).

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Could the front camera be used to look at facial gestures / lip movements as a way to make the results more accurate?

Technology in an iPad will surely reach the point where that is exactly what could be done not just for more accuracy but for those without the ability to speak. In the rear facing camera it could be used by the listener who doesn't understand sign language or, probably more importantly, who is unable to hear. Many possibilities down the road!

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
I use Macspeech Dictate/Dragon constantly as part of my work, to generate electronic reports. Before that, I had to use a transcription service, which cost me tens of thousands a year. I put up with a huge learning curve (for both me and the software "learning me") because it was literally worth it financially. The Mac version is still considerably behind, anything that would improve it, especially Apple getting directly involved, would be very welcome. Even flawed as it is, it is pretty amazing to dictate large amounts of text containing much technical jargon in realtime, and it would be very welcome to do so on an iPad, for instance. I am about three major applications away from not needing a laptop and doing everything on my iPad.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I can think of 1 simple use for the iPad and easy to do.

It's not very exciting, but handy. Just have the feature where you could record a one word/phrase sound sample for every app and have that linked to the app.

So you just unlock your iPad and say safari and safari opens. Or say calculator one and your calculator opens. Or say YouTube and the YouTube app starts.

Not exciting, but just one phrase could easily be linked to every app in iOS 5 very simply and easily.

Not rocket science, but would be something.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
if Apple is only now starting to negotiate a licensing deal, then there's no way iOS 5 will have anything more than the 3GS introduced voice control feature.

They are likely going to announce iOS 5 in June. It very likely won't be available until September when the next iPhone comes out. They have plenty of time.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
I can think of 1 simple use for the iPad and easy to do.

It's not very exciting, but handy. Just have the feature where you could record a one word/phrase sound sample for every app and have that linked to the app.

So you just unlock your iPad and say safari and safari opens. Or say calculator one and your calculator opens. Or say YouTube and the YouTube app starts.

Not exciting, but just one phrase could easily be linked to every app in iOS 5 very simply and easily.

Not rocket science, but would be something.

You can jailbreak and download Voice Activator. It allows you to put custom speech commands, including the command to open up an app. I particularly like it for it's iPod controls though. I can be running with my iPhone in my pocket and tell it to go to the next song without taking it out of my pocket.

Or you know :

3) You're holding a god damn phone in your hand. Call the person and talk to them on handsfree by using the already existing voice control of the iPhone and actually talk to them.

Seriously, texting is so dumb. Are people that afraid of actually talking in 2011 ? Now they want to talk out their text messages ? Think about this : Talk out your text message so the device can write it for you, send it to another person who'll what, use the phone's ability to turn the text messages into a synthesized voice ?

People you're holding a god damn phone.

That is why SMS is blocked at the carrier on my phone. I don't want none of this non-sense. You want to tell me something, call me.

It is much more convenient than talking to someone. I want to tell someone "I'll be home in 15 minutes." When I am driving home, I don't want to discuss how my day was. I don't want to discuss how the <insert sports team> did last night. Or a variety of other topics. I want to tell the person that I will be home in 15 minutes so that our dinner plans can be arranged ahead of time. Just far more convenient to tell someone a one line statement. Save the other crap for when I get home. Let me just tell them when I'll be home.

Don't worry though. My cubemate used to be like you. And then he upgraded his phone with a pre-paid plan that came with a certain number of texts. He is a texting fiend now. Now that he has seen the light. There is still hope for you.

Last edited:

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I disagree. I would love for Apple to integrate voice to text capabilities like Android has, where you can speak on any text input screen. This would be particularly useful while driving. I can look at my phone for 2 seconds to read a text message asking "When will you be home?" or something like that. It's a lot more effort to drive and type even a simple response like "15 mins" (not to mention, downright dangerous). If I could select a little button on the text message screen and say "15 minutes," and have it type it for me. That would definitely be useful for me. I currently use the Google app to do that if I want to google something quickly without typing it, but I would much prefer to use my default browser (iCab). We aren't talking about Star Trek here; just some functionality that would help speed things up a little bit.

Hire a driver, voice recognition or not, your obsessive preoccupation with everything other than safely piloting your vehicle is going to get someone (and/or yourself) killed.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Hire a driver, voice recognition or not, your obsessive preoccupation with everything other than safely piloting your vehicle is going to get someone (and/or yourself) killed.

Really we should keep YOU off the road because you are clearly the problem. It's piss poor drivers like yourself that shouldn't be on the road, and that cause all the accidents. Those of us intelligent lifeforms that can drive fine, and recognize when there is plenty of space between other cars on the road and your car to be able to spend two seconds to read a text message aren't the ones driving in accidents. I'm not saying there aren't people who don't know how to drive AND use their cell phones... There are clearly plenty. But just because you aren't able to multitask, doesn't mean some people can't.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
This Is Gonna Be Funny

This will raise the ambient "noise floor" in busses, planes, restaurants, coffee shops, supermarkets with everyone talking to a piece of plastic....LOL!!!

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
I would LOVE to see Apple acquire Nuance and build speech recognition into Mac OS x (speech to text)

marklight

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2006
seems like a lot of people are limiting the speech recognition to simply commands... there's a lot of times when im using the ipad where i'd like to write out something that is more than a sentence or two, but it's not convenient to use the onscreen keyboard. it'd be nice to just be able to dictate longer ideas.

dabear

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
Would this work for native speakers only? Some of us have a bit of an accent when speaking..

What about foreign languages, are they supported or is this English only?

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
I would argue for Apple to acquire Nuance with their cash reserve. It would put a dent in the reserve but would also diversify their revenue more by allowing them to take over voice recognition. The patents and everything else would be huge gain. Don't buy them out and do a partnership and their value is almost certain to increase then you can't buy them down the road when you realize you need to.

And followed up by purchasing Adobe... :)

I suspect this purchase has everything to do with iOS, and voice-to-text as a means to get around texting, and all the bloody car accidents that tend to go along with it. I'd splurge in a heartbeat, which is actually a strange notion - I never text while driving.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
seems like a lot of people are limiting the speech recognition to simply commands... there's a lot of times when im using the ipad where i'd like to write out something that is more than a sentence or two, but it's not convenient to use the onscreen keyboard. it'd be nice to just be able to dictate longer ideas.

Different languages, different algorithms...

I wouldn't worry. I've an accent as well, and other voice recognition systems do a fairly good job at figuring me out... Unlike many people I talk face-to-face with.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
I don't see Apple buying Nuance just for their voice recognition technology. Anyone that takes a glancing look over Nuace's website will see that they are involved in way too many other businesses which would have no interest for Apple at all. Medical, automotive, OCR, scanning, professional billing, etc. None of which would seem of any interest to Apple. Spending $6billion just for to get their voice tech and to have to jettison the rest wouldn't make sense.

And I agree with the part of the article about how difficult Nuance can be in negotiations. They license many of their APIs, but they also immediately consider anyone that licenses them to be direct competitors. It makes for circular, confusing negotiations.

SBeardsl

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
I'm not saying there aren't people who don't know how to drive AND use their cell phones... There are clearly plenty. But just because you aren't able to multitask, doesn't mean some people can't.
Just like there are plenty of people who just don't know how to drive after drinking but not that guy sitting next to you in the bar, finishing his third beer. HE knows how to handle himself just fine, it's all those other drunks who don't know their limits that are the problem.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I was refering to non music apps.
There are plenty of non-music voice recognition apps for the iPod touch. The majority of the ones that work on the iPhone also work on the iPod touch. Same with the iPad.

The Nuance Dragon Dictation app supports a number of different languages, some in different accents/dialects (for example UK, US and Australian English; Spanish and Mexican Spanish, French and Canadian French).

The big three search engine apps (Google, Yahoo! Search, Bing) all have voice search, as well as other search assistants (Siri, Vlingo). There are several voice-to-email and voice-to-text message apps as well.

Just go to the App Store and search for "voice recognition."

Last edited:

C.Calthrop

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Cupertino CA
Nuance acquired Shapewriter

Apple's negotiations with Nuance may be over Shapewriter technology which Nuance acquired around June 2010. For those who missed it, Shapewriter is my preferred app for taking notes. It is no longer available on the App Store, but my old version works fine. It is a wonderful fit with iOS and the best technique so far for touchscreen input.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
Really we should keep YOU off the road because you are clearly the problem. It's piss poor drivers like yourself that shouldn't be on the road, and that cause all the accidents. Those of us intelligent lifeforms that can drive fine, and recognize when there is plenty of space between other cars on the road and your car to be able to spend two seconds to read a text message aren't the ones driving in accidents. I'm not saying there aren't people who don't know how to drive AND use their cell phones... There are clearly plenty. But just because you aren't able to multitask, doesn't mean some people can't.
Wow, utterly foolish. I hope the worst thing that ever happens to you is a close call, maybe you will learn something without hurting anyone.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
I use Dragon Dictate for Mac and it works quite well. As a horrible typer I find it much easier to use voice commands and also dictate emails and reports in Pages.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Nuance has a $6 billion market cap? What the heck do they do? Dictation software can't be that big of a business...

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
cum on people

clear lee is the best soft where is I am using drag on dick take sun right now.new line.hollow view people need nugget a life and stop criticizing the awesome hour of this soft where. I do everything with drag on.new line.
moose people only want dimple tasks and feel that it will bee helpful.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hopefully whatever comes out of this will suck less than voice control and it's tendency to make international calls every time I ask it to play a song...

mdntblu

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2004
It will be a welcome feature, but I doubt I will use it very often. Depends on the implementation and how accurate it is. I don't want to annoy those around me. Probably useful in the car.

My iPhone should be able to detect that I'm in my car, and when I am, activate this technology. Read me my text messages, let me respond with voice commands, and even have an option to read back what it recognized to confirm the accuracy before sending.

Sucks because Ford/Microsoft Sync already has this technology and it's powered by Nuance but stupid Apple doesn't let it work with iPhone because of their Bluetooth protocols. If they would just activate the MAP protocol I could enjoy this feature already in my car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.