Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Between May 24th-May 28th i'll be visiting NYC for the first time and am planning on doing all the cliche tourist stuff, but am needing to try some good food!

I'll be flying from Beijing to NYC (I'm originally from L.A.) and this will be my first time in over 2 months eating U.S. food. For these past 2+ months i've been eating noodles, dumplings and rice..exclusively.

I've been Googling places to eat in NYC but I would think New Yorkers opinions on food from the MR community would go further.

Being in China for 2+ months, I didn't think it be important to visit the Apple Store in Beijing, however am making it mandatory to take a picture outside (& inside) the Apple Store in Beijing, seeing as i'd really like to visit the SoHo*** Apple Store as well.

Nevertheless, I digress....Any recommendations for kick-@ss food in NYC is incredibly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Hot Dogs
Pizza
Bagels
Steaks
You name it!

Edit: Which is the Apple Store in NYC that looks amazing? You know, that one that looks like a glass cube?

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
That's the 5th Avenue store... I prefer the one on west 14th Street though.

I'm new in New York, so don't really know the awesome places, but my last time visiting my fiancée before moving here, we went to Dallas BBQ on 8th Avenue and 23rd Street, and my British sensibilities were blown out of the water. The Steak was great and the portions were crazy huge. I ordered chicken wings to start, and I have no idea what animal they came from, but they were huge (tasted like chicken though...). The bill was pretty low too.

Papaya Dog/Nathans are safe bets for Hot Dogs. Also, there's a pizza place on Carmine St/Avenue of the Americas (6th Avenue) called Joe's Pizza which is nice. Although I find the nastiest looking Pizza places usually seem to make some great pizza!

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Probably a capon or castrated rooster. Twice the size of a normal chicken.

OP: corned beef on rye from a mid-town deli. You may not want dinner afterwards.

My god, please stop talking like that :D, i've not tasted any sort of delicious beef in months; the best we have here is locally slaughtered pork. ... oh, and a KFC, but in no way tastes the same like back in the states.

I'll make sure to bookmark a few spots for corned beef. It's been too long.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
That's the 5th Avenue store... I prefer the one on west 14th Street though.

I'm new in New York, so don't really know the awesome places, but my last time visiting my fiancée before moving here, we went to Dallas BBQ on 8th Avenue and 23rd Street, and my British sensibilities were blown out of the water. The Steak was great and the portions were crazy huge. I ordered chicken wings to start, and I have no idea what animal they came from, but they were huge (tasted like chicken though...). The bill was pretty low too.

Papaya Dog/Nathans are safe bets for Hot Dogs. Also, there's a pizza place on Carmine St/Avenue of the Americas (6th Avenue) called Joe's Pizza which is nice. Although I find the nastiest looking Pizza places usually seem to make some great pizza!

Dallas BBQ & Nathan's Noted!

I've tasted Nathan's back home in L.A., but doubt it's the same. If it is indeed the exact same taste, then shame on Nathan's! (It's like McDonalds tasting the same everywhere, including Beijing!)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
What's you looking for in terms of food? Cheap, but good or good restaurants that are a bit pricey?

On the restaurant end and isn't too terribly priced, Colicchio and Sons Tap Room isn't bad at all. I have only been there once and had their TC Burger( without the drunk onions), and it was pretty good along with their coffee nib ice cream parfait. Colicchio also has a more expensive dining room as well, but haven't been there and the menu doesn't appeal to me.

A little higher up from the Tap Room is Remi's which is an Italian restaurant. It's a bit pricey if you don't order off the $35 fixed price menu. Good food none the less.

The highest end I have been to has been Maze By Gordon Ramsay. This is expensive. I order the $75 Chef's Menu which is a 5 course meal. It's simple cooked meals without any wow cooking techniques, but it is good food. Certainly not a restaurant you go to unless you have a special occasion due to the price.

In terms of cheap places to go, my dad loves Ben Ash, Lindy's( I believe it is called), and other deli's along 7th avenue up in the W. 50's streets area near Central Park. If you like Sushi, there is a pretty good sushi restaurant on Broadway close to 9th avenue.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
My god, please stop talking like that :D, i've not tasted any sort of delicious beef in months; the best we have here is locally slaughtered pork. ... oh, and a KFC, but in no way tastes the same like back in the states.

I'll make sure to bookmark a few spots for corned beef. It's been too long.

Haha! Yeah, when I worked in mid-town nearly 20 years ago, I would grab a sandwich from a deli for lunch when the wife was too sick to cook (first trimester). No problems with dinner! :D

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
go to Chinatown and chow down on some Chinese food! :p

if it's a hot day, go to Little Italy for gelato from one of the street vendors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.