Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LondonCentral

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
McDonalds burgers don't pose serious health risks at all.

People's inability to moderate themselves and display some small level of self restraint (and to show the same in controlling their kids) poses serious health risks.

We have law and order for the precise reason that 'people' cannot moderate themselves, as you put it.

That's why I dislike the brands I mentioned (and many, many more). Besides, Marlboros success is down to heavy marketing in emerging markets, who's societies arguably aren't as educated, and in turn regulated, in terms of the various health risks smoking poses.

In time Marlboro will become obsolete. Shame it won't be any time soon.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I'm puzzled by this comment. You loathe all but 2 of the companies on that list because of ethical reasons, and yet you support and cheer on coca cola?

I must have missed something cause you're the second person to mention it, but why the hate for Coca Cola?

Far as I know they just make a drink.... never heard of them being the evil corporation.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The Assimilation Continues. :apple:

I must have missed something cause you're the second person to mention it, but why the hate for Coca Cola?

Far as I know they just make a drink.... never heard of them being the evil corporation.

Come on, it's about the Kids Teeth ya know. Parents get a pass. :apple:

Last edited by a moderator:

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Come on, it's about the Kids Teeth ya know. Parents get a pass. :apple:

Wait? What? Why not, um, just encourage your kids to brush their teeth and make sure they are drinking soda in moderation?

I fail to see how Coca Cola themselves are evil.

And McDonald's actually has introduced stuff to buy if you want to worry about your health. For example they have a crispy chicken salad that is 350 calories that is pretty damned good for a salad (and I don't like salads!!!). They have offered ways for people to go there and eat healtheir if they want. You don't have to get the fattiest thing on their menu. For that matter, you don't have to go to McDonald's!

Maybe people should learn some self control if they want to worry about that stuff rather than insist the companies should watch out for the people who don't want to worry about that stuff and like their fattening products (and I speak as some one who once didn't want to worry about that stuff and as some one who now does. From either perspective I would say the same).

And I speak this as some one who managed to gain 90 lbs in 8 years and not once while I was overweight or after did I blame the fasts food companies. ANd you know what? I think that helped me when I lost it in a year. Because I knew who the problem was, me. Which makes it much easier to address the problem when you are targeting it ;).

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK

Sugary drinks aside, coca cola have had several unethical cases against them. Obviously it would be unfair to claim that coke are monsters and then not claim any other junk food vendor isn't as bad. However coca cola have several problems with employee issues. There have been several cases of discrimination overseas in factories in other countries. Think like a clothing sweat shop but making sugary drinks instead.
Also, there have been incidents in india where they have set up factories, and taken up all local clean water facilities in order to produce their products. This left however no or very limited clean water supplies for surrounding towns and villages, and they would make a monopoly by selling cola to locals because it was cleaner than the other water supplies that had been left behind for them.

All in all, there are several problems with cola. Don't be fooled into thinking that I am saying that cola are evil and everyone else is amazing. I know that most companies end up stumbling across problems in ethics. However, cola are one of those companies that do seem to stumble upon it more than others.

Also, to go all the way back to the beginning of the comment, I never said coke were evil ;)

Oh, and I know its only a wikipedia article, but i'd rather link this than a ton of more reliable sources. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Coca-Cola I won't insult your intelligence by assuming that you'd be able to find the sources elsewhere.

Last edited:

Ferry888

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
What a difference a CEO makes. Steve Jobs understands his customers like no other. Apple does what it does bast, integrate hardware and software in a single product that is use- friendly, innovative and great to use.
People talk about how overpriced mac products are, but it's not only about the hardware it's a total package which make apple products a joy to use.
They earned the #1 spot.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Sugary drinks aside, coca cola have had several unethical cases against them. Obviously it would be unfair to claim that coke are monsters and then not claim any other junk food vendor isn't as bad. However coca cola have several problems with employee issues. There have been several cases of discrimination overseas in factories in other countries. Think like a clothing sweat shop but making sugary drinks instead.
Also, there have been incidents in india where they have set up factories, and taken up all local clean water facilities in order to produce their products. This left however no or very limited clean water supplies for surrounding towns and villages, and they would make a monopoly by selling cola to locals because it was cleaner than the other water supplies that had been left behind for them.

All in all, there are several problems with cola. Don't be fooled into thinking that I am saying that cola are evil and everyone else is amazing. I know that most companies end up stumbling across problems in ethics. However, cola are one of those companies that do seem to stumble upon it more than others.

Also, to go all the way back to the beginning of the comment, I never said coke were evil ;)

Oh, and I know its only a wikipedia article, but i'd rather link this than a ton of more reliable sources. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Coca-Cola I won't insult your intelligence by assuming that you'd be able to find the sources elsewhere.

Ah, thanks. I was hoping the coke hate wasn't just, "Oh they make products that are not healthy for you."

Actually, I kinda hope it was cause I like Coke :(. Never knew they did any of that.

THen again, I shouldn't be surprised, in general it seems large corporations always end up being evil somewhere especially if they have factories/locations in non first world countries cause they can get away with more there.

Just "Vinnie"

macrumors member
May 5, 2011
Just goes to show you where everyone's priorities are:

Play a few rounds of Angry Birds on the iPad, off to Mickey-D's for a Big Mac then top it off with an after dinner cigarette.

Looks about right.

What a difference a CEO makes. Steve Jobs understands his customers like no other. Apple does what it does bast, integrate hardware and software in a single product that is use- friendly, innovative and great to use.
People talk about how overpriced mac products are, but it's not only about the hardware it's a total package which make apple products a joy to use.
They earned the #1 spot.

I agree with most everything you said...with exception to price. I have to be honest in saying that certain apple products are severly overpriced...MacBook/MacbookPro/MacPro/21.5 iMac/Mac mini

Of course they wont be changing that any time soon...as they sell most everything on the shelf.

iPhone/iPad/Apple TV are very competitive in contrast.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Smith Corona used to be the most recognized brand worldwide.
15 years later, I wonder how many readers know what they manufactured.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wondered what those sites that measure the value of a domain name would say about apple.com. I tried one and it said apple.com is worth $1,308,247,554.11. They certainly are precise!

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is really no way Apple's achievement can be overstated. They singlehandedly, almost overnight, freed the "computer" from the box and keyboard. This was a landmark moment. Now everyone's pushing this paradigm. Tablets, slates, app stores, touch interfaces, etc.

The next 5-7 years will be a huge growth phase for Apple, during which we will witness the decline of Microsoft. Note how MS' brand now ranks below McDonalds. And McDonalds sells low grade cheeseburgers that pose serious health risks.

Welcome to the post-PC era, Microsoft. Seriously.

Lesseee now...

achievement : 5 pts
overnight : 2 pts
landmark : 8 pts
paradigm : 20 pts
huge growth phase : (5*3*3)=45 pts, great combo there!
brand : 2 pts

82 points total, for Most Overused Buzzwords and Marketing Speak™ game, but -10 pts for not using the word synergy, -20 for missing out on the classic combo "award winning" and -5 for missing proactive.

:D

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Lesseee now...

achievement : 5 pts
overnight : 2 pts
landmark : 8 pts
paradigm : 20 pts
huge growth phase : (5*3*3)=45 pts, great combo there!
brand : 2 pts

82 points total, for Most Overused Buzzwords and Marketing Speak™ game, but -10 pts for not using the word synergy, -20 for missing out on the classic combo "award winning" and -5 for missing proactive.

:D

You missed singlehandedly and post-PC era. :D

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
One very impressive accomplishment, even if not a surprise.

Thanks to the *ENTIRE Group* of very talented and smart working employees, Apple is the Brand Standard for others to aspire to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.