Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe has released its first three Photoshop CS5 companion apps for the iPad. The apps were originally announced in April as a demonstration of what could be accomplished with their new Photoshop Touch Software Development Kit.

The three apps include:
Adobe Eazel ($4.99)
With Adobe Eazel, you can use your iPad and your fingertips to paint beautiful works of art. Paint across your entire iPad screen, and easily access the tools you need. Send your artwork directly to Photoshop CS5 from any locationall you need is a network connection between your iPad and computer. Or do all your painting in the app, and share via email.
Adobe Nav ($1.99)
With Adobe Nav and a network connection between your iPad and computer, you can customize the Photoshop CS5 toolbar on iPad to easily access the tools you use most. Browse, reorder, view, and zoom in on up to 200 open Photoshop documents on iPad. Tap a document on iPad to make it the active document in Photoshop CS5. Disconnect from the network and use iPad to easily share files in person with others.
Adobe Color Lava ($2.99)
With Adobe Color Lava, you can use your fingertips to mix colors on your iPad and create custom swatches and five-swatch themes. Instantly access them in Photoshop CS5all you need is a network connection between your iPad and computer. Or use the app wherever inspiration strikes, and then bring your colors into Photoshop CS5 when you're connected. Share colors via email, too.
Meanwhile, 3rd party developers are also working on their own apps to take advantage of the new Adobe SDK. Adobe Photoshop CS5 version 12.0.4 (released last week) or later is required.

Article Link: Adobe Releases iPad Companion Apps for Photoshop: Eazel, Nav, Color Lava

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Finally! This is what tablets are made for. Now somebody get to work on a resistive bluetooth stylus so we can properly draw/handwrite on the iPad.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I know it says that CS5 is required, but it will still be interesting to whether artwork created in these iPad apps and then exported to desktop computers can be opened with older versions of Adobe's Creative Suite, or even other non-Adobe image editors.

Fingers crossed.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Now this is good! Shame they don't work on iPod touch/iPhones so I won't be buying them. But I'm really liking the sound of these things - pairing up iToys with computers for some serious work.

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Loving it

I've been using Adobe Nav this morning, and absolutely love it.

Being able to ignore the keyboard while drawing on a Cintiq is such a relief, but the biggest boon is being able to see/arrange/open all your open documents. Anyone who does a lot of photoshop work with many docs will know the hate that comes with it's tabbed doc approach. This is the cure.

You can't change the size of the UI elements or thumbnails, so there's room for improvement, but I can see this turning into something awesome over time. An Adobe Bridge link, connected to multiple computers/libraries at once? Oh the good-ness of potential...

There aren't many iPad apps that actually make me happy... but this is one.

N

nostromo77

I guess I'm not skilled enough to draw or paint to get excited about this app.

I wish I was but somehow I think I still prefer the sound my pen makes on the paper, or the tools I used to draw.

I guess I'm old fashioned. Oh and paranoid to loose any of my work due to a sudden crash of an app.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Easel looks like fun. Having an artist background, I want ot give this one a try. Looks like it could be fun. I want to see how the touch interface works for painting. Sweet.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
What annoys me is they are separate Apps!?

Surely a unified Application for each Adobe app is the way to go.

All three would be much more useful if integrated in the same interface.

Even if is was a free base app with buy ins for each component. They could add more components and Applications in the future.

A lot of these things could be cross application too
All three would work great in After effects for example - Nav in anything.

Future things that would be great
Timeline scrubbing foe AE/Premiere
Virtual colour wheels in Premiere
A new Cutting mechanism in Premiere

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Finally.

It is great to have Adobe finally actually producing something new, useful and interesting rather than wasting their time arguing about Flash (which they finally fixed and should have fixed LONG ago).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Odd Adobe didn't make one base app and make the features in-app purchases. They do this with Adobe Ideas for the iPad so I know the concept isn't lost on them.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
While it remains to be seen how useful these apps will be in real life use, I have to applaud Adobe in their efforts to explore the iPad's functionalities. I much rather see this type of news coming forth than the recent Flash/HTML-5 bickering we've had to endure.
Apple made the iPad and Adobe is providing some cool software for it. That's the way it ought to be.

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008

All three would be much more useful if integrated in the same interface.

This crossed my mind too, but I think there's pros and cons for every approach. I don't particularly want a cluttered interface for one thing, and I don't want to pay extra for the painting, which I have no interest in.

It is what it is - on the bright side, the prices are fair. Anyone that thinks a few bucks (for some great innovation) is expensive must have been looking the other way when (if) they paid for Photoshop.

Like I say, I paid 2 bucks and it's making a vast difference to me already. No more trying to click through nasty tabs! Woot. Adobe won back some much needed karma points imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.