Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In early April, Taiwanese site Apple.pro posted a photo of what was claimed to be the rear case for the next-generation iPod nano, appearing to reveal that the device will add a rear-facing camera to its recently-reduced form factor.

ipod_nano_7gen_rear.jpg

Claimed next-generation iPod nano case (left) vs. current generation (right)
While the previous shot showed that rear case from the front, thus showing the interior of the device, Apple.pro has now received a new photo [Google translation] appearing to show the same or similar part from the backside. The photo again clearly shows the camera hole, although there is obviously no camera module included with the case.

Interestingly, the new photo shows no clip attached to the rear of the case, with the Apple logo appearing directly on the case itself. We had pointed out in our earlier report that it was unclear how the camera would function in relation to the clip on the existing model that covers essentially the entire back of the iPod and would thus obscure the camera lens.

Removing the clip from the iPod nano entirely, however, would be a bit of a surprise given the device's small size and Apple's marketing of the current model as a sporty accessory to be worn on the outside of the user's clothing for quick access to device functions. The iPod nano and clip carry a similar functionality to that used with the iPod shuffle for many years, a design that Apple briefly deviated from before returning to the previous form factor last year.

Today's new report also claims that the iPod nano camera will check in with a resolution of 1.3 megapixels, a fairly low resolution compared to many devices like the iPhone but still higher than that found in the current iPod touch and even the iPad 2. Such cameras are generally intended more for capturing video than high-quality still photos. In fact, Apple's previous effort at packing a video camera into the iPod nano when it had a large form factor yielded a device capable of taking only video and not still images.

Article Link: Clipless Next-Generation iPod Nano With 1.3-Megapixel Rear Camera?

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Honestly, I'd rather have the clip than the camera. I'm not sure how much use a camera would be for something with a screen that small, but a clip is just logical. Don't see why they couldn't put a clip thing on the bottom half or something?

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Clip on front with embedded touch display inside the clip.

Tiny spy camera on the back like in the picture.

Bam. I kept your clip in your nano.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
that's weird... i can't imagine trying to use something of that form factor as a camera... a lot of people had a hard time not covering the camera while shooting video on the previous nano

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Magnets are the new clip.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
I think its fake. Isn't there a box with slightly darker pixel around the "camera port" - and why is it hexagonal from the inside, doesn't make any sense (unless there is precedence) and implies a hex screw for some kind of hexagonal key, maybe even photshopped as there are some subtle lines next to it indicating a box around it (might be from the other side though)

Last edited:

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
No clip because Apple is gonna sell you a $30 case for what used to be "free functionality"!!! MUHAHAHAHAHA.

And that's when you know the iPod Nano line is dead. They've just given you a feature they took away last year. :rolleyes:

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Damn. Looks like I'll buy another current generation right after 7G gets released (if it looks like this one). At least prices will drop

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Thats not a camera, its likely a 'clip connection'. I'm sure the nano will come with a clip, but you'll be able to screw it off. It will make the profile lower if you want to attach via other means. For example as a lower profile watch band or to a necklace.

I'm really hoping they also integrate the dual mode screen Apple patented last year. The screen was a hybrid LCD / epaper screen. The epaper part could show a clock, or current album, all the time and not effect battery life.

blundemo

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2008
wha?

camera with no clip? thats a contradiction...

I want bluetooth iphone control, so I can see my texts and caller Id (or anything else from my phone), on my watch...

im sure apple is considering it... just sell one of these bad boys to ever 12 year old AND... 1 out of every 5 iphone owners... f yea kids... f yea

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
"... She said the man in the gabardine suit was a spy.... I said
be careful his [ipod] is really a camera... "

- Simon and Garfunkel, ahead of their time!

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
I have zero desire to have a camera, pic or video, on a nano.

I personally really like the current generation now that they fixed the issue of it not turning off.

The only features at this point I'd really want are bluetooth and wireless syncing (which all i-devices sorely lack)

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Crap :p, I'm a fan of the bigger iPod Nano, not this.. It's just way to small..

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Apple sure does do radical things with the iPod nano design. Personally, I think the click wheel version is the best (even the fat nano). Just throw in bluetooth support for headphones and you've got a great workout companion.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
WTF does anyone need with a camera on an ipod nano? Stupid idea.

There is the old adage that the best camera you have is the one you have with you. For example, you are working out and want to record the weight used... rather than carry a log book, just take a picture of the machine and then the weight used.

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
seriously? looks as though they're running out of ideas. I much prefer the clip and would use the camera on it anyway?

berol

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Looks like a hex screw put into a see-thru plastic case. Hard to believe it.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Thats not a camera, its likely a 'clip connection'. I'm sure the nano will come with a clip, but you'll be able to screw it off. It will make the profile lower if you want to attach via other means. For example as a lower profile watch band or to a necklace.
I think you've got the idea here - no camera, but it definitely would be perfect for hanging onto a lanyard or beltclip, whatever, something quick-releaseable. I'm sure Apple will have something very clever and very Apple style to sell on launch day.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
The clip is clearly there and there's a cut out in the clip for the lens to shoot through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.