Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJC-1976

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Seattle WA
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of writing a WebApp for work and I need some help. I'm very new to doing this kinda stuff and I have made it to a point where I'm totally stuck. :confused: I'm using DashCode to write it using the basic browser format to accomplish what I want. It has a list format that lets the user advance down to the next page from the main list. I would like to have the next page show a description of the selected name on the main list and embedded picture file. It has 8 different items on the list page so there would be 8 different picture files. I've used the sample file to get the basic setup but I'm not sure how to write the code to make the second pages display the different image files. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out.

I know this is probably a simple request but I have to learn somewhere.

JC

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of writing a WebApp for work and I need some help. I'm very new to doing this kinda stuff and I have made it to a point where I'm totally stuck. :confused: I'm using DashCode to write it using the basic browser format to accomplish what I want. It has a list format that lets the user advance down to the next page from the main list. I would like to have the next page show a description of the selected name on the main list and embedded picture file. It has 8 different items on the list page so there would be 8 different picture files. I've used the sample file to get the basic setup but I'm not sure how to write the code to make the second pages display the different image files. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out.

I know this is probably a simple request but I have to learn somewhere.

JC

Basically you need to provide a data source to Dashcode. I would imagine an XML file with a listing of all the items its data would suffice on your server somewhere.

You'll also obviously need to learn Javascript if you don't already. Trying to build a web app (in any application no matter how good the GUI is) without being able to program is going to be an exercise in futility. You still need to write the server side code to generate the XML file and depending on the application to receive a POST from the app in XML (or some other format) and store it to the apps database.

Depending on what your web application is for though I would question your use of Dashcode.

iJC-1976

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Seattle WA
Thanks for the reply. I do think that DashCode is the right program for what I'm trying to accomplish. If you'd like to see what I've come up with so far you can do that at this link, http://web.me.com/afloridahottie/iApps/eGuide Draft /index.html . This project is being done during my off hours at work and it isn't something that I would normally be tasked with so I'm kinda learning as I go. I would Also like to have it cached the data so it can be viewed off line if possible.

JC

Rowbro!

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Dashcode question

Hello,

I have been writing a fairly complex off line web app to be used as a touch screen interface. The issue I have is that part of the functionality is to set the value of and indicator and save this value to the local/client side database. I have searched and tried to change to information in the currency converter with limited success. I am sure the answer is simple (like most js mind blocks) but time is short and I must move on.

I would like some information to assist in this issue. I would love some examples of code using the indicator and value saving to database and reloading this data at load time.

Cheers :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.