Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
I've finally made my mind up.
After weeks of debating between an imac and a macbook, what specs I need, if I like steak or chicken better, etc..

I have finally decided to get the pre-configured high end 27" iMac.

Just wondering what I will need to take to the apple store for them to give me my student discount?

I'm thinking;

University Student Card
Drivers License
Passport
University exam timetable

Do you guys think this will provide enough proof that I am actually a student?

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I've finally made my mind up.
After weeks of debating between an imac and a macbook, what specs I need, if I like steak or chicken better, etc..

I have finally decided to get the pre-configured high end 27" iMac.

Just wondering what I will need to take to the apple store for them to give me my student discount?

I'm thinking;

University Student Card
Drivers License
Passport
University exam timetable

Do you guys think this will provide enough proof that I am actually a student?

You should only really need your student card assuming it has your picture on it.

AppleLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
You should only really need your student card assuming it has your picture on it.

It does have my picture on it but the nearest store is 20 miles away, I don't want to get there and be rejected.

Better to be safe than sorry!

AppleLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
You should only need #1.

where are you in the world?

I live in the UK.

I only listed my passport/drivers license just incase they wanted to compare pictures or something to prove it was me, as my face has changed quite a bit since the picture was taken.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
I live in the UK.

I only listed my passport/drivers license just incase they wanted to compare pictures or something to prove it was me, as my face has changed quite a bit since the picture was taken.

Have you checked other apple resellers? The "student discount" isnt much.

Here in the USA, there are Apple resellers that offer rebates, free shipping and no income tax = far bigger discount than an educational one

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
The discount program is different in the UK, which includes free AppleCare.

Incorrect. Some Universities have a separate Apple HE Agreement with Apple underwhich you get 3 years warranty if and only if you purchase via the special online store. AppleCare (ie Phone Support) is a separate extra (Billed as "Apple HE Contract Uplift" in general), which costs approx £35 or there abouts.

How do I know this? Im a Student at a UK University, and I dont get free AppleCare.

Also, all you need is your student card, it doesnt matter so long as it looks vaguely like you theyll accept it :)

AppleLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Have you checked other apple resellers? The "student discount" isnt much.

Here in the USA, there are Apple resellers that offer rebates, free shipping and no income tax = far bigger discount than an educational one

I see. I was under the impression that the discount was always 14%, but it seems that's only through my university network.

Over here I only know about three sellers, but the prices are exactly the same as they are on the apple store and don't offer a discount.

I guess I could phone them to see what I can expect. Thanks!

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I see. I was under the impression that the discount was always 14%, but it seems that's only through my university network.

Over here I only know about three sellers, but the prices are exactly the same as they are on the apple store and don't offer a discount.

I guess I could phone them to see what I can expect. Thanks!

As far as getting your university discount in store, if you blag it, you can get the discount, however youll only have the standard warranty if you dont purchase AppleCare instore. (I did this with my MacBook Air at a UK Apple Store, and all was well, I bought AppleCare however for the warranty - I believe it was about 40 quid.)

AppleLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Incorrect. Some Universities have a separate Apple HE Agreement with Apple underwhich you get 3 years warranty if and only if you purchase via the special online store. AppleCare (ie Phone Support) is a separate extra (Billed as "Apple HE Contract Uplift" in general), which costs approx £35 or there abouts.

How do I know this? Im a Student at a UK University, and I dont get free AppleCare.

Also, all you need is your student card, it doesnt matter so long as it looks vaguely like you theyll accept it :)

Yeah i'm aware of the 3 year warranty, I think I will purchase apple care seperately though.

Also just curious, how did you pay for your mac? University network, in store?

Edit: Nevermind! Your above post answers the question :)

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London

If you buy online via your uni network you get a 3 year warranty as standard, no need to buy Applecare. If you buy in store that is not the case. See here

If you want to buy in store your uni card should do. Phone and ask if you like.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Incorrect.
The education discount program is, indeed, different in the UK than it is in the USA. My statement is correct.
Some Universities have a separate Apple HE Agreement with Apple underwhich you get 3 years warranty if and only if you purchase via the special online store
As I said, it includes free AppleCare. I didn't mean that all purchases include free AppleCare, but that the education discount plan includes a provision for free AppleCare. No US education discounts have free AppleCare. The programs are, indeed, different between the two countries.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
The education discount program is, indeed, different in the UK than it is in the USA. My statement is correct.

As I said, it includes free AppleCare. I didn't mean that all purchases include free AppleCare, but that the education discount plan includes a provision for free AppleCare. No US education discounts have free AppleCare. The programs are, indeed, different between the two countries.

It doesn't include free AppleCare. It includes just the warranty, you DO NOT get the phone support. The warranty and AppleCare are different. Thus you are incorrect.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It doesn't include free AppleCare. It includes just the warranty, you DO NOT get the phone support. The warranty and AppleCare are different. Thus you are incorrect.
While it doesn't include phone support, it IS AppleCare coverage. All extended warranties by Apple are AppleCare.
Apple is the sole supplier of the National Higher Education Agreement which means you’ll get up to 15% off the price of a new Mac, up to 10% off Apple software, an extended three-year warranty and one-year AppleCare telephone support.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Yeah i'm aware of the 3 year warranty, I think I will purchase apple care seperately though.

Also just curious, how did you pay for your mac? University network, in store?

Edit: Nevermind! Your above post answers the question :)

Well, it answers halfly. I bought my Mac Pro and Cinema Display via my University Network Online store, and I bought my MacBook Air in-store, so I've done both (Big year for Apple Purchases this year, as it happened my Desktop and Laptop upgrade cycles coincided).

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
As I said, it includes free AppleCare. I didn't mean that all purchases include free AppleCare, but that the education discount plan includes a provision for free AppleCare..

You are correct, but it may be prudent in future to add that the free 3 year warranty is only online. There is a great deal of confusion in the UK as the system is messy. Unfortunately, some people think they get a free warranty in store and when they realise they don't have to fork out £160 for AppleCare.

While it doesn't include phone support, it IS AppleCare coverage. All extended warranties by Apple are AppleCare.

The student free 3 year warranty is slightly different to AppleCare. It is almost the same, but the T&Cs have some minor differences, it doesn't really matter most of the time.

You must be at a very unusual uni, almost all of them include the free warranty online. Guess you drew the short straw!

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom

No they are not. AppleCare is phone support as well. The warranty is not branded or ever sold as AppleCare, it is sold as "Apple HE Contract Warranty", not AppleCare. The only AppleCare program sold as AppleCare includes Phone Support, the Apple HE Contract Warranty is fundamentally different from AppleCare.

AppleLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
I just called in store and he told me the price with discount would come to £1,500 inc. apple care reduced from £1,649.

Which is the same price as it was on my university network, woohoo!

Now guys and girls. It's 17:46 here and the store closes at 20:00.

Should I go buy it tonight? Or tomorrow?

You decide!

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I posted a link to Apple's site, where people can read the details.

Apple's website has never been crystal clear on the issue. Many members of staff are incorrectly informed. Someone I knew was told by someone in store that they would get a 3 year warranty for free, he had to correct the salesperson.

As I said, it would be prudent to be clear as there is great confusion, even in Apple itself.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple's website has never been crystal clear on the issue.
This topic has been derailed by hair-splitting. My original point is absolutely correct: the education discount program in the UK is different from the one in the US. The US program has no provision under any circumstances for extended warranty/AppleCare/whatever-you-want-to-call-it beyond the 1 year warranty. The UK program does. My post was not intended to be a disclosure of all the terms and conditions of the Apple HE Discount program, but only to state that the program is different and includes things the US program does not. If Apple's site isn't clear, that's their problem. I never indicated that my post was to be a legal document, outlining all the terms and conditions, or a clarification of Apple's site.

AppleLou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Guys, guys, stop debating on the warranty issue!

I planned on buying apple care anyway just incase I sold the iMac within the 2nd-3rd year of owning it, because (i believe?) apple care is dependant on the product serial number not the owner.

_

But the question still stands, should I buy it tonight or tomorrow?

I'm in no rush what so ever, but I really do fancy playing with it tonight!

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London

All I ever said was it would be prudent to spell out it is online only to avoid confusion. Nobody is suggesting you are offering full legal terms and conditions. I'm just suggesting how you can be more helpful to people, no need to get defensive.

I planned on buying apple care anyway just incase I sold the iMac within the 2nd-3rd year of owning it, because (i believe?) apple care is dependant on the product serial number not the owner.

AppleCare does go with the machine. The student warranty probably does as well (again, there is confusion) but a buyer is going to want to see "x months of applecare left" not "x months of student warranty left". So yes, may be good to add applecare if you think you will sell it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.