Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GJSchaller

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
White Plains, NY
I don't get it. Why can't they just use the same version of iOS for the Apple TV? Why does it have to always be .1 or so behind? The thing is running on the same exact hardware as other iOS devices...

It would be as if Apple brought out OSX 10.7 for all Macs, but the MacBook gets 10.6.

It's not *quite* the same - the native HDMI out, the USB in for diagnostics, the Ethernet port, etc. Remember, it took a while for the iPad to catch up to the iPhone / iPod Touch and be concurrent.

Also, the interface is different - it's not a touch screen, no App Store, etc. It uses a remote instead, which is a very different interface.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Yup. Hopefully it will fix the homesharing issue that so many are having issues with.

Yeah, ATV1 had a similar issue with loosing iTunes connection... I ended up hacking it and installing 2TB of external storage. Best thing i even did.
I don't suppose that's possible on the ATV2?

philiporeilly

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
Anyone know if it fixes the issue with MP4s with 6 channel audio having no sound or not playing? Afraid to upgrade in case...

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Hopefully they fix the issue where waking from sleep it looses it's mind about my computers iTunes library and claims it's empty until I log in/out of the sharing

My only complaint about AppleTV is this so far. Some days, despite everything being on, it just won't find the iTunes library.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Changelog from Macstories:

Screen-shot-2011-05-11-at-10.51.15-PM.png

Newsinker

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Usb

I'm just waiting for an update or a hack that allows the USB port on it to be utilized. I'd love to connect an external drive rather than always needing to stream through iTunes...

sauer228

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2009
If DVDs are so out of date, then what are these silver orbs that Redbox spits out? If you're going to call it an Apple TV then at least cater to the largest media format running at that point in time.

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
YAY! Now I can actually go back to using my :apple:TV for what I purchased it for; watching my YouTube subscriptions. Finally!

hfthomp

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
If DVDs are so out of date, then what are these silver orbs that Redbox spits out? If you're going to call it an Apple TV then at least cater to the largest media format running at that point in time.

Good thing you weren't in the Apple meetings back when they introduced the iPod...."Hey guys, this thing is worthless. Let's put a CD player in it."

I hope you enjoy the 90s.

dvswede

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
Changelog from Macstories:

Hmm doesn't seem to address the homesharing issue! It's strange to me that they let this one slip (if it's actually not fixed). It's as other have pointed out a "wife" (i.e none geek) issue in that you cannot play your own music or photos after sleep. It happens with a scary regularity so it's not hard to replicate!

Let's hope it's fixed (as I want to buy more for the house but at the moment I'm not convinced wife would approve).

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Does the update give it a DVD drive and make it useful?

Hehe...-26 rating for that one. I think you pissed off a few of the ATV kids :p

People forget that its a useless little black box if you live outside the states.

( I have you a +1 ;))

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010

Can we only hope this is the app store update :D SDK please.

personally I think this is coming with iOS 5, hopefully with support for A4 devices. I still think it will allow iOS devices to act as a wireless controller+second screen for games/apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.