Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_store_bellevue_square_map.jpg

Apple's new store in red, Microsoft's store on lower level shadowed in yellow

Last November, Microsoft opened a new 5,000 square-foot retail store in the Bellevue Square mall in the state of Washington near its corporate headquarters, moving in just a few doors down from Apple's slightly smaller store in the mall.

As reported by ifoAppleStore, however, Apple has apparently decided to use its recent strategy of expanding and/or relocating existing stores to take on Microsoft in the Bellevue Square mall. To that end, Apple is moving its retail store to a new location within the mall, doubling its size and taking a position on the second floor away from but still within view of the Microsoft store on the lower level.
Whatever their motive, later this year the Apple store will move, from its ground-floor location that opened in 2003 with 4,600 square-feet, and into a second-level space formerly occupied by three separate retailers. When the move is finished by year's end, the store will double its current size and, most importantly, will be visible to every single visitor leaving the Microsoft store across the hallway and one floor below.
Apple has been making a concerted effort to both build larger stores to help accommodate the large crowds, as well as expand or replace a number of its older, smaller stores that see foot traffic well in excess of desired capacity.

Article Link: Apple Digs at Microsoft With Bellevue Store Relocation

Last edited by a moderator:

toomanyipods

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
May be astrategic move, but it is definitely tactical . . .

I visited the Apple Store many times at that mall. The existing Apple Store size is 1/3 to 1/4 the space of the Microsoft location, but the Apple Store had 3 to 4 times the visitors.

Although the Bellevue Apple Store is not the busiest I've been to, it's not as big or shiny as many other Apple Store locations. The store needs a little boost and polish if it's to sit next to Microsoft's flash ship store.

I did find it interesting that the Microsoft has a wall of [bullet-proof?] glass in front of their service desk in the back.

Last edited:

Stang

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Northern Suburbs, Chicago, IL
The one in Oak Brook Center in Oakbrook, IL needs expanding - MS so pwned that one with a really nice one in the center of that open-air mall... :eek:

I completely agree. The Oak Brook store was one of the original stores to open. A little history - there used to be a HUGE Disney Store which eventually moved to a smaller store space. After that they split the space between Apple and some crappy clothing store (J. Jill?) I think they just need to buy out the rest of the space. I don't think it gets a lot of business. Yeah, that Apple store is tiny, its hard to get from the front to the back with the amount of people and the big tables in the way. And also I've never seen the Microsoft store with more than like 4 people in it :p

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I live in Bellevue and this was much needed. Microsoft really took a lot of focus away from the Apple Store there, and Apple definitely needs a bigger location. I also like that the store is on the second floor, as I find myself on the top floor of the mall more often than the bottom.

Overall, good move by Apple.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
bellevuesquaremallmicrosoftstore.jpg
I
ABOVE - Bellevue Mall

---

n Fashion Valley, the Apple Store is packed with customers... then I pass the MS store, and there are more employees standing around than there are customers.

The Kinect set-up attracts lots of people, but that's about it. Sad.

Last edited:

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
I visited the Apple Store many times at that mall. The existing Apple Store size is 1/3 to 1/4 the space of the Microsoft location, but the Apple Store had 3 to 4 times the visitors.

The Apple Store Bellevue Square is generally packed. Moving to a bigger location (and hiring more staff) seems like a good thing.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I completely agree. The Oak Brook store was one of the original stores to open. A little history - there used to be a HUGE Disney Store which eventually moved to a smaller store space. After that they split the space between Apple and some crappy clothing store (J. Jill?) I think they just need to buy out the rest of the space. I don't think it gets a lot of business. Yeah, that Apple store is tiny, its hard to get from the front to the back with the amount of people and the big tables in the way. And also I've never seen the Microsoft store with more than like 4 people in it :p

There were rumors a couple holidays ago that they were supposed to move to a much larger store, with access to being able to pull your vehicle up to load your larger purchases.

I guess with the Economy and supposedly the Mall Owner filed for Bankruptcy changed their plans.

Who knows what is going on - there's a lot of new stores opening, but they're all in those smaller shops.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Well, put it this way, no matter what Apple does, Microsoft's sales (from that store) can't get much worse. :)

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
What!? People actually go into the MS store. :confused:

I for one don't. I'm less of a Microsoft hater than most on this forum but I still refuse to go to a store that's a blatant rip-off of the original. I shake my head when on the rare occasion I walk past one. The one at the mall I typically go to try to lure people in there by having X-boxes set up with Kinect and the dance game.... does a reasonably good job at luring in teenagers.

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
It's news to me that Microsoft even has stores.

I wonder how the service is at both stores when comparing them? Does anyone know if the employees at the Microsoft store are as welcoming and kid as those at the Apple store?

VashonOz

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Apple Store at University Village Seattle

The Apple Store at University Village in Seattle is kind of mid sized for an Apple store and *always* packed to the gills. Microsoft just tore down a sizable building right across the parking lot from Apple and is busily building a new store. Like the auto dealership strips in the days of yore maybe MS feels computer buyers need to do comparison shopping for PCs--kick the tires on a few Macs or PCs before making that big decision. I have never visited a MS store but I will be curious to see how much traffic it gets at U Village. The University Village Apple store could definitely be bigger given the traffic but it's hard to imagine where they could get a bigger space in this "life-style" complex without buying out surrounding stores.

vicorly

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Why people don't go to the Microsoft Store...

Because nobody wants to visit the Excuse Bar.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Anyone whose ever been to the bellevue store knows that it is the worst experience one can possibly have at a mall, ever. The previous rendition looked more like a cramped shoebox/closet that was understaffed.

The Apple Store at University Village in Seattle is kind of mid sized for an Apple store and *always* packed to the gills. Microsoft just tore down a sizable building right across the parking lot from Apple and is busily building a new store. Like the auto dealership strips in the days of yore maybe MS feels computer buyers need to do comparison shopping for PCs--kick the tires on a few Macs or PCs before making that big decision. I have never visited a MS store but I will be curious to see how much traffic it gets at U Village. The University Village Apple store could definitely be bigger given the traffic but it's hard to imagine where they could get a bigger space in this "life-style" complex without buying out surrounding stores.

I think it would be interesting to see but honestly I don't think uVillage is really the scene for an M$ store. The traffic at the uvillage store is certainly exacerbated by the large UW population who consume apple products en masse.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Once again, Apple is parked next to a Candle Shop? Waiting in line at those locations is just nauseating after a while. It must be common.

I like the current Apple Store in Bellevue Square. It's busy, and has a good energy about it - like a rock concert. I don't know if it is necessary to go larger than UVillage.

The MS Store is embarrassing to go into. The employees stand in their clicks (similarly to the Apple store employees), but they break into 'spontaneous dance' like it's a terrible sequel to to the movie 'Coyote Ugly'. They make all sorts of awkward eye contact while half-heartedly performing to medium volume music...It goes on for what seems like an eternity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

Just watching it again makes me cringe. How many employees quit their job after that one?

james90755

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
... 'spontaneous dance' like it's a terrible sequel to to the movie 'Coyote Ugly'. They make all sorts of awkward eye contact while half-heartedly performing to medium volume music...It goes on for what seems like an eternity.

Just watching it again makes me cringe. How many employees quit their job after that one?

That is about the lamest thing ever. Even Walmart only does this kind of stuff in corporate meetings... never in public.

Another possible positive for Apple. I was in an Apple Store in Houston a few weeks back and caught an employee in a strange moment. He was telling me how MS is hiring away Apple Store people with bonuses and higher pay. This might help to purge the non-effective store employees??

Sad that MS is doing all these things. I don't miss the PC world at all...

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Only Mac cultists would see this as a "dig" at microsoft. It's just business.

VashonOz

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
The MS Store is embarrassing to go into. The employees stand in their clicks (similarly to the Apple store employees), but they break into 'spontaneous dance' like it's a terrible sequel to to the movie 'Coyote Ugly'. They make all sorts of awkward eye contact while half-heartedly performing to medium volume music...It goes on for what seems like an eternity.

That IS hilarious and a bit painful to behold. I'd call this yet another Microsoft innovation except that Johnny Rockets hamburger chain already does a similar song and dance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.