Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
The best thing about Microsoft stores

Is getting the occasional coupon. Xbox games never go on sale, I am sure from some sort of advertising agreement. So you can actually get games at sale prices at these stores.

Otherwise, not so much.

packetrier

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Check out Fashion Valley

This seems to be happening often...

At Fashion Valley Mall, San Diego, The Microsoft and Apple stores are in mirrored locations across the entrance from each other.

At the Mall of America, the two stores are directly across from and facing one another.

I say good job Microsoft! This is one of the best executed business decisions I've seen. Show people you can be fun too!.

I recommend all apple users go to the Microsoft store. Play with the Xbox on the big wrap around lcd wall.. oh.. and theirs Windows stuff there too.. if you are into that kind of thing.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
This seems to be happening often...

At Fashion Valley Mall, San Diego, The Microsoft and Apple stores are in mirrored locations across the entrance from each other.

At the Mall of America, the two stores are directly across from and facing one another.

I say good job Microsoft! This is one of the best executed business decisions I've seen. Show people you can be fun too!.

I recommend all apple users go to the Microsoft store. Play with the Xbox on the big wrap around lcd wall.. oh.. and theirs Windows stuff there too.. if you are into that kind of thing.

MS is desperate and pathetic...

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Good news - I can't stand the tiny little store they have here now.

It does smell a little bit like a locker room. Too many bodies for the small space. However, nothing compares to the dinky Apple store in Southcenter Mall. Small store size and gunshots always make me fear my visit. :)

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
Outrage

The article suggests that everyone leaving the Microsoft store, and implies thereby that everyone leaving the Apple store, will see the other store. The article makes a point of saying "every single person."

On behalf of the Society for the Blind, the blind are people too! Blind people use computers and walk around in malls like you do, thank you very much! :cool:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
is the headline writer certain apple was taking a "dig" at microsoft

Good point b/c appearances notwithstanding Apple probably moved for business reasons. Besides, these days it seems Apple's main rival is Google and Apple could not care less about MS. If anything MS is now chasing Apple when it comes to new tech.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I´m surprised Microsoft Store has wall after all
Aren´t they supposed to hate walls? :D

tlevier

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Littleton, CO
Colorado

I wonder if Apple might be considering a move in Park Meadows mall in Lone Tree, CO. Their store is as small as I've seen and last summer, Microsoft moved in to the center of the mall in a huge space across from the food court.

At New Year, a giant space was vacated by Restoration Hardware across from the current Apple location, which is not any closer to the Microsoft Store, but would be a large increase in space.

Only time will tell.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
I visited the Apple Store many times at that mall. The existing Apple Store size is 1/3 to 1/4 the space of the Microsoft location, but the Apple Store had 3 to 4 times the visitors.

Although the Bellevue Apple Store is not the busiest I've been to, it's not as big or shiny as many other Apple Store locations. The store needs a little boost and polish if it's to sit next to Microsoft's flash ship store.

I did find it interesting that the Microsoft has a wall of [bullet-proof?] glass in front of their service desk in the back.

That is hilarious. They probably need a bullet proof glass wall to protect them from all the people who were promised something that works better than XP. Their newest round of commercials are also cracking me up. I am beginning to pity Microsoft, they have fallen so far down that I just don't see them ever getting back up again.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I went to a Microsoft Store in San Diego and it was busy but probably mostly because of the X-Box thing demonstrating their interaction technology that was setup out in the open area in-front of their store. I went in to ask what I thought were some easy questions and was not able to get a single one of them answered. I can't remember now what they were, but they were all about 'calling the support lines, we just sell stuff. Buy this Sony notebook over a MacBook Pro".

Yeah.

Not impressed.

I don't go into an Apple Store, wait for sometimes over an hour, to be told to 'call the support line' (although it has happened once or twice, and I have called from the store and engaged the 'genius'). People generally know what they are talking about or can generally point me into a specific direction (or grab someone who does know) and I'm back on the road again.

The huge problem with Windows is that it runs on so much hardware and with so much software that is totally out of (or for Redmond's wishful thinking 'somewhat under') their control.

The Android market will experience the fragmentation that the Windows platform has experienced and that is why they are tightening up (trying to) the platform. Good luck. You don't win friends by professing to be the antithesis of Apple's strict control and then start exerting more control... There is that saying about eating and cakes...

Still though, like Jon Stewart said "There are people that will always vote republican" just like there are going to be people that will always buy Microsoft products and Windows...

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Once again, Apple is parked next to a Candle Shop? Waiting in line at those locations is just nauseating after a while. It must be common.

I like the current Apple Store in Bellevue Square. It's busy, and has a good energy about it - like a rock concert. I don't know if it is necessary to go larger than UVillage.

The MS Store is embarrassing to go into. The employees stand in their clicks (similarly to the Apple store employees), but they break into 'spontaneous dance' like it's a terrible sequel to to the movie 'Coyote Ugly'. They make all sorts of awkward eye contact while half-heartedly performing to medium volume music...It goes on for what seems like an eternity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

Just watching it again makes me cringe. How many employees quit their job after that one?

OMG... i am amazed..

Now I remember the parade again. It was for windowsphone... with weird costumes and death threads to other brands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icng5MHp7T4

Microsoft omg... pleas have some kind of bigger purpose for this...

edit: lol i just watched the movie again... and at the very end they describe it at best: Ford mustang... new paint.. same old ****.

Last edited:

Vizin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007

Attachments

• Photo Nov 10, 3 09 23 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 10, 3 09 23 PM.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
There was a Microsoft store at the Sony Metreon in SF

The Sony Metreon in SF used to have a giant Microsoft Store. It lasted from '99 to '01. Closed after barely more than 2 years.

Come to think of it, it's no longer called the Sony Metreon. And its Sony Style and PlayStation Stores both closed as well. The best thing left in there is Sanraku Sushi.

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
Once again, Apple is parked next to a Candle Shop? Waiting in line at those locations is just nauseating after a while. It must be common.

I like the current Apple Store in Bellevue Square. It's busy, and has a good energy about it - like a rock concert. I don't know if it is necessary to go larger than UVillage.

The MS Store is embarrassing to go into. The employees stand in their clicks (similarly to the Apple store employees), but they break into 'spontaneous dance' like it's a terrible sequel to to the movie 'Coyote Ugly'. They make all sorts of awkward eye contact while half-heartedly performing to medium volume music...It goes on for what seems like an eternity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

Just watching it again makes me cringe. How many employees quit their job after that one?

Absolutely hilarious! never seen this vid before...half expecting Monkey Boy to come leaping out from the back of the store at any moment.

(Did MS actually MAKE the employees do that? Sheesh! reminds me of the Jobsian dictum that "...MS just have no taste!!!!")

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Personally I don't care for these stores and their throngs of typically tech-ignorant users. I know it's very trendy to be at an :apple: store, but I've bought everything through the web site no problems.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
The Apple Store Bellevue Square is generally packed. Moving to a bigger location (and hiring more staff) seems like a good thing.

Of course it will be packed. You can only buy Apple's stuff from either authorized retailer, Apple Store, Best Buy (or Future Shop) And you can only repair your Apple devices on Apple Store or Apple authorized retailer. But you can buy Microsoft's product just anywhere in any computer store. If can buy essentially same thing at local computer store or even online, why would i even bother to go Microsoft Store? There just too many places you can shop around for Microsoft and PC related products, and just too few of place you can buy Apple's product. It makes sense that Apple Store will be packed where Microsoft isn't so.

P.S. I would like to check out Microsoft store anyway if Microsoft opens one in Canada.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
But you can buy Microsoft's product just anywhere in any computer store. If can buy essentially same thing at local computer store or even online, why would i even bother to go Microsoft Store?

"Hey guys, you know how our products are in every computer store in the world. What if... now bare with me... WHAT IF we were to spend top dollar and make our OWN stores and sell the EXACT SAME product there too!" :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.