Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app_store_icon.jpg

Yesterday, we received word from Rob Gloess of Computer LogicX, the company behind the Mix & Mash and Mix & Mash LITE applications for iOS, that he had received legal documents threatening a patent lawsuit over the use of an "upgrade" button in the lite version of his application linking users to the App Store where they could purchase the full version.
Our app, Mix & Mash, has the common model of a limited free, lite, version and a full version that contains all the features. We were told that the button that users click on to upgrade the app, or rather link to the full version on the app store was in breach of US patent no 7222078, we couldn't believe it, the upgrade button!?!
The patent in question was filed in December 2003 as part of series of continuations on earlier patent applications dating back to 1992. The patent is credited to Dan Abelow, who sold his extensive portfolio of patents to holding firm Lodsys in 2004. Lodsys is indeed the company issuing the threats of a lawsuit regarding the patent in question.

Computer LogiX is not the only App Store developer being hit with threats of a lawsuit, as Cult of Mac notes that James Thomson, the developer behind PCalc, has been hit with a similar notice. While Thomson has not identified the company pursuing the action, the timing and details suggest that Lodsys is also responsible.
"Just got hit by very worrying threat of patent infringement lawsuit for using in-app purchase in PCalc Lite. Legal docs arrived via fedex," Thomson wrote.

"No idea what to do... They seem to be effectively claiming the rights to in-app purchase, but going after me, not Apple."
Thomson has reached out to Apple for guidance, and it remains to be seen how things will play out. According to Thomson, the patent holder is demanding that a license be negotiated within 21 days or a lawsuit will be filed.

At least one other developer is cited in the report as receiving similar notice of patent infringement, and that total will almost certainly grow as awareness of the situation increases, so it appears that the action is a relatively widespread one by Lodsys.

Notably, Lodsys cited the same patent, among others, when it filed suit against a host of major printer companies earlier this year.

Article Link: Lodsys Threatens to Sue App Store Developers Over Purchase Links

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
In whose errant daydream is the upgrade button to be construed as violating some nobody's patent?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I bet they think that going after small companies will make this easier for them.

But this is definitely something that will get Apple's attention. I wonder how well their shakedown plan will go once they have a billion-dollar company breathing down their neck.

Idiots.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I bet they think that going after small companies will make this easier for them.

But this is definitely something that will get Apple's attention. I wonder how well their shakedown plan will go once they have a billion-dollar company breathing down their neck.

Idiots.

The model seems to be the same as Righthaven's. Threaten to sue small time devs, and extort a license fee, as the cost of defending it court will be much higher.

arn

Caharin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Has anyone patented air yet? Now that I've mentioned it I better rush down to the patent office ...

You should all stop breathing until I get this matter settled or I may have to back-charge you for material consumed. :rolleyes:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The model seems to be the same as Righthaven's. Threaten to sue small time devs, and extort a license fee, as the cost of defending it court will be much higher.

arn

Unfortunately, this may end up working out well for them. If the patent is legally solid (I have no idea) then Apple may end up buying it and telling developers they won't enforce it just so they can keep using it.

So these clowns may actually get away with a big check.

But whether it's a buy-out or just legal-threats I can't see Apple staying neutral. I suspect they'll take some kind of action.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Hey Lodasys

Hey Loda(*****)sys... I got two middle fingers and they are pointed directly at you. Get a life and stop bothering hard working people. Idiots.

muire

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2004
Did you read the patent? It has a very early priority date, before people were thinking about this sort of thing.

I patented washing dishes with soap, before people were thinking about that sort of thing.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Sheesh. Each day it's becoming more apparent that the patent system simply hasn't yet adapted to industrialized society.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
normally these lawsuits are legit, but the 1990's and probably the 80's as well had a huge shareware fad. you download software and buy a key to unlock it

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I think the key to stopping this is not to be defensive, but for Apple to launch a war of total destruction. Stage one would be to show prior art. Programs distributed by BBS and disks handed from person to person were doing this as early as the 1980's. Just download the program, then enter your payment code to unlock the full version and remove the nag screen.

The next stage is to find something you can sue these guys for and run them out of business. If they have no vulnerabilities, find prior art on every patent they own, then out compete them in every market they are in.

companies that own real IP should have the right to protect their IP. Companies like this give patent holders a very bad name.

I vote for a spontaneous existence failure.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It reminds me of the EDGE trademark scam

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
I should have patented the 'OK' button, back before people even thought of acknowledging things that appeared on their screen.

ray648

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
This software patent situation is getting seriously out of hand, and the laws involved should come under serious review. How people can expect to be able to hold patents on things as obvious as an button that links to the premium version is beyond me. This has also been used by software developers for years before this patent existed.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Having actually read the patent, it doesn't look like it's the update button but rather the "If you like this app, rate it" functionality that's covered by the patent.

http://www.ptodirect.com/Results/Patents?p=1&r=2&query=Abelow-Daniel-H.INNM.

This is easy to remove and an annoyance besides.

The patent likely doesn't cover third party ratings OR external interactions like surveys, since companies like BizRate had been doing this since the late 90s.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
If this was Apple threatening a lawsuit over one of it's patents the tone here would be much different. Jus' sayin'.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow, I hope apple will destroy this patient and the holder.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
Actually, it looks like they patented questionnaires.

It looks like they've patented the act of buying things, what a fantastic idea :cool:

Performed remotely with information sent back to a central location.

The patent is so rambling and verbose and mis-guided, it is hard to see what they are trying to patent. It reads more like a users guide than a patent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.