Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 13, 2011, 02:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'iPhone 4S' Coming in September With Sprint and T-Mobile Support?

Forbes reports on a new research note from Jeffries & Co. analyst Peter Misek claiming that Apple's next-generation iPhone will be a relatively minor revamp known as the "iPhone 4S" and will debut in September. Misek also claims that Apple will be expanding carrier availability in the U.S. to include Sprint and T-Mobile by the end of the year, with China Mobile also reportedly coming on board.
Quote:
"According to our industry checks, the device should be called iPhone 4S and include minor cosmetic changes, better cameras, A5 dual-core processor, and HSPA+ support," he writes in a research note.

But he also says that "industry checks indicate Apple will likely announce Sprint, T-Mobile, and China Mobile as new carriers."
The "iPhone 4S" name first gained publicity last month in claims that Apple has been providing select high-level iOS developers with souped-up iPhone 4 devices, with the source citing an unofficial name of "iPhone 4S" for the device.

Misek's report goes on to note that the next-generation iPhone is not likely to bring compatibility with faster LTE 4G networks rolling out in some markets, as the required chipsets from Qualcomm are not yet available in quantity to support the inclusion of the technology.
Quote:
As for LTE, he says the Qualcomm LTE chipset Apple would have used "is currently not achieving yields sufficient for inclusion in the iPhone 5." He says Apple had hoped to have the LTE chipsets ready, but was planning a version without LTE called iPhone 4S.
The claim regarding a lack of LTE compatibility in the next-generation iPhone fits with earlier reports that the required chipsets won't be available to make their way into handsets until 2012.

Article Link: 'iPhone 4S' Coming in September With Sprint and T-Mobile Support?
MacRumors is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 02:56 PM   #2
spacehog371
macrumors regular

It's entirely possible Apple gave the game developers the newer chip, but none of the other features, including physical differences. This makes the most sense as that way developers have access to everything they need, but Apple doesn't have to risk the developers leaking other information.
spacehog371 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

I'd be interested to see if Sprint and/or T-Mobile's unlimited pricing would change with the inclusion of the iPhone. Or will they just up their rates as the big 2 have done, or even take away unlimited.
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Tones2
macrumors 65816

No larger screen, no 4G, no 64 GB. The Samsung Galaxy S 2 is looking sweeter and sweeter.

Tony
Tones2 is offline   -28 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:01 PM   #5
RonHC
macrumors 6502a

Im ok with that
As long as there is a 64GB Model
Old May 13, 2011, 03:02 PM   #6
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

I just cant get jiggy wit this rumor.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:03 PM   #7
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

No 4G?
Great, now we get to listen to the fandroid crowd for another year about LTE even if their phone gets 4 hour batter life.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:03 PM   #8
IconicM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tones2 View Post
No larger screen, no 4G, no 64 GB. The Samsung Galaxy S 2 is looking sweeter and sweeter.

Tony
Go for it, no one is holding you back...but yourself
IconicM is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:03 PM   #9
fabledsoe
macrumors newbie

Thank the lord if this happens for Sprint.
fabledsoe is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:04 PM   #10
corinhorn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHC View Post
Im ok with that
As long as there is a 64GB Model
I would be happy with that too, but I doubt it will happen.
corinhorn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:04 PM   #11
ckd
macrumors member

If the GSM (or dual-mode CDMA/GSM) version is available factory-unlocked in the US, I'm there. If not, time for another Canada trip....
ckd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:04 PM   #12
Tones2
macrumors 65816

I don't buy the "4GS" name. Once they committed to the generation numbering system, the next one pretty much has to be iPhone 5. Otherwise they'd have to go 4GS -> 6, which would be very un-Apple like to skip a number, as it will bring mass confusion amongst the non-techy Apple-ites.

Tony
Tones2 is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:04 PM   #13
IconicM
macrumors regular

Makes sense. But if apple would maintain a consistent naming convention, then we would be on iPad1S.
IconicM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:05 PM   #14
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysell View Post
No 4G?
Great, now we get to listen to the fandroid crowd for another year about LTE even if their phone gets 4 hour batter life.
If it was the other way round you can bet the 'fapple' crowd would be all over the fandroids...grow up buddy
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:06 PM   #15
Tones2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IconicM View Post
Go for it, no one is holding you back...but yourself
Well, except the fact that it's not available in the USA yet AND the fact that I don't REALLY know what the next iPhone will have yet.

Tony
Tones2 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:06 PM   #16
AppleDroid
macrumors 6502

iPhone on Sprint?! I don't have to switch carriers next May just to get an iPhone 5? Oh happy day!
Old May 13, 2011, 03:08 PM   #17
crisito
macrumors regular

Quote:
I don't buy the "4GS" name. Once they committed to the generation numbering system, the next one pretty much has to be iPhone 5. Otherwise they'd have to go 4GS -> 6, which would be very un-Apple like to skip a number, as it will bring mass confusion amongst the non-techy Apple-ites.

Tony
Did they go from 3GS to iPhone 5? No.
crisito is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:08 PM   #18
darrensmith016
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Makes sense. But if apple would maintain a consistent naming convention, then we would be on iPad1S.
Good point, because to be hoesnt the only real change for the ipad 2 was the CPU and a little thinner, would make sense fo apple to call it the ipad 1s. but if the design is the same they may call it iphone 4s because its only going to be a cpu upgrade....
Playing Tiny Wings and iSlash
darrensmith016 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Tones2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
No, because at the time of the 3GS they were not committed to generation numbers. That happened FIRST with the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2. Now they are stuck with it. Which is good because it makes the most sense and is the least confusiing to consumers.

Tony
Tones2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:08 PM   #20
juicedropsdeuce
macrumors 6502

Ok...

Analyst says...
juicedropsdeuce is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:09 PM   #21
millerb7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Tony
Sooo... am I missing something... or did Apple do 3G > 3Gs > 4 ?

What would stop them doing 4 > 4s > 5?

I don't think it'll be 4Gs... as well... it's not 4G... that's where the G came from for the 3.
Profession: SEO / WEB CONSULTANT
millerb7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 03:09 PM   #22
canderton
macrumors member

Quote:

Tony
There is no "4GS", it's just "4S" and S obviously stands for speed. It makes perfect sense, it is just a faster improved iPhone 4... granted it's taking them WAY too long to update it.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:09 PM   #23
d0mth0ma5
macrumors member

I don't think 4G was ever going to happen this time round, this is a global device, 4G isn't prevalent enough yet (they haven't even sold the spectrum in the UK yet).
Old May 13, 2011, 03:10 PM   #24
StuddedLeather
macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one that's mostly anticipating iOS 5 more than anything else?

I honestly don't care (as much) for the physical changes. Bring a better notification system is all I'm asking for. If the speed difference is significant, I'll upgrade as well. I just REALLY hope iOS 5 blows us all away.
Old May 13, 2011, 03:10 PM   #25
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabledsoe View Post
Thank the lord if this happens for Sprint.
If it lands on the Sprint network, any chance of Virgin Mobile reeling one in? $25 a month for unlimited everything on an iPhone would pretty much kill off android phones.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion