Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougeefresh

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
People complain way too much these days...
After I read the post I probably won't do this to make my phone faster just because I don't feel the need and I don't want to reset the phone every day to reclaim the memory(if I did I would still have my Storm 2).
However, I think Ace134blue has done a great job and this is the kind of post that will make me come back to the forum. Think about his own time he spent to share the info before criticizing. I am sure it will help someone and perhaps when my phone slows down I will come back and try a few things listed here.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
After I read the post I probably won't do this to make my phone faster just because I don't feel the need and I don't want to reset the phone every day to reclaim the memory(if I did I would still have my Storm 2).
However, I think Ace134blue has done a great job and this is the kind of post that will make me come back to the forum. Think about his own time he spent to share the info before criticizing. I am sure it will help someone and perhaps when my phone slows down I will come back and try a few things listed here.

Thanks, i appreciate it. And btw, where are you getting "reset everyday" from? :rolleyes:

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

+1. I agree. It's nice to see some one post something so helpful.

And btw, I find just keeping the amount of apps running in the multi task bar limited makes a huge difference of speed in my iphone 4. If I leave it up to Apple's auto task manager, it does a horrible job and my phone starts lagging. That in itself makes my phone very unlaggy.

Thanks, i appreciate it. And btw, where are you getting "reset everyday" from? :rolleyes:

I think it's the reset every 2 days. People are exaggerating some but I'm pretty sure I saw you write every 2 days. It's still resetting a lot honestly. Not sure how much good you get, I reset mine from time to time for various reasons and I've never really noticed much of a speed increase after resetting it to tell the truth.

But, I will echo thank you for posting this, it's a very good guide.

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
find / -type d \
-name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" \
-not -iname "zh*.lproj" \
-exec /bin/rm -vrf '{}' \;

There you go.

Who said anything about doing a hard reset everyday?... Btw, keep your sarcascm/negativity to yourself.

thank you

the hard reset gave me 317 MB of ram to start!

i was at 294 MBs

we need more raM!

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
People are exaggerating some but I'm pretty sure I saw you write every 2 days. It's still resetting a lot honestly. Not sure how much good you get, I reset mine from time to time for various reasons and I've never really noticed much of a speed increase after resetting it to tell the truth.

But, I will echo thank you for posting this, it's a very good guide.

Thanks alot, and btw i said reboot at least every 2 days not do a hard reset :)

dougeefresh

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011

Sorry, I meant "reboot" from:

5.) Reboot your iDevice at-least every two days, preferably once a day. This helps the iOS stay maintained.

I just used SBSettings to close unused apps and it seems to work very well. I don't find myself rebooting for at least a couple of weeks.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Thanks alot, and btw i said reboot at least every 2 days not do a hard reset :)

Ok, what is your definition of reboot (vs. reset) cause maybe that's the issue here on why you are confused people are taking you wrong?

When I see reboot, I think powering off the phone and powering it back on again. And really I see reset the same way.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Thanks for the post. I deleted all language packs except English and Japanese (for emoji) and also the extra carrier bundles. My iPhone 4's RAM is 340MB after a reboot. Also, after using a few apps and closing them with RemoveBG it seems to be staying around 290MB-300MB. Before this it would be down around 260MB. I'm not sure this will have too much of an impact for iPhone 4 users but 3GS and earlier may see noticeable improvements.

Kflik

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
OP

I will perform some of these on my 3GS, I check my ram usage constantly so I will be able to tell how the ram was affected.

Thanks for the information! You have spent time on this and that is appreciated!

As for fakeclockup, I hate that app because it takes away from the natural feel of the iOS. it feels cheap and screwy and I do not feel as if I am on a smooth running apple device so I really do appreciate your post!

treichert

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Aachen, Germany
Thanks for the post. I deleted all language packs except English and Japanese (for emoji) and also the extra carrier bundles. My iPhone 4's RAM is 340MB after a reboot. Also, after using a few apps and closing them with RemoveBG it seems to be staying around 290MB-300MB. Before this it would be down around 260MB. I'm not sure this will have too much of an impact for iPhone 4 users but 3GS and earlier may see noticeable improvements.

Why do you want the bigger part of your RAM sitting around doing nothing?

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Why do you want the bigger part of your RAM sitting around doing nothing?

If the RAM was doing something useful I couldn't care less. It's when a system eats resources for things I'll never use that bothers me. The only spoken language I know is English and I won't be on another carrier in the foreseeable future.

I do the similar things to my computer when installing a new OS version.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Ok, what is your definition of reboot (vs. reset) cause maybe that's the issue here on why you are confused people are taking you wrong?

When I see reboot, I think powering off the phone and powering it back on again. And really I see reset the same way.

"To turn completely off:
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, then slide the slider. Note: When iPhone is off, incoming calls go straight to voicemail.

To turn on:
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears. "

This is rebooting, turning off and turning back on.

"To reset, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears. "

This is apples definition of reset

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
"To turn completely off:
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, then slide the slider. Note: When iPhone is off, incoming calls go straight to voicemail.

To turn on:
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears. "

This is rebooting, turning off and turning back on.

"To reset, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears. "

This is apples definition of reset

Ah, Ok, now I understand why you're upset people think you are saying to reset the device every two days (I read it as you meant it btw) and why some people are saying they aren't going to do something so drastic (rebooting is a tiny pain but I could see where some one would think resetting the device every 2 days is ridiculous).

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
Could someone who has used this guide post a video with their results so we can see how fast the iDevice actually gets?

Thanks.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Decently well put together post. I'm lazy as hell, so I won't be trying any of this. But, I'll give you +1 for the nice post and maybe if I ever need this, I'll know it's around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.