Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Absent

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2010
Can't find any that are worth a sh. Griffin makes one that's stupid thick, with stupid fat plugs that won't fit through any case, so who wants that garbage. Obviously ohm's law gives us some problems so keeping the same gauge wire while maintaining the necessary current may not be possible.. but I don't buy it yet. 2 amps .. is kind of considerable, but 16 gauge has to be overkill, i.e. the griffin.

Does anyone have a 2-3 meter cable, identical to the 1 meter Apple cable save for length, that charges the ipad at full speed? I would love you if you point me to it.

P.S. ..I guess I should explicitly say that I am using the ipad charging brick, and I already have a third party extra long cable that does not charge at full speed. I'm seeing lots of other similar complaints from others about this too.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
The only one's I've seen are the thick Griffin one's that you've mentioned. Instead of spending $30 on a cable I decided to spend $1.99 on a walmart extension cord and use my normal cable.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Can't find any that are worth a sh. Griffin makes one that's stupid thick, with stupid fat plugs that won't fit through any case, so who wants that garbage. Obviously ohm's law gives us some problems so keeping the same gauge wire while maintaining the necessary current may not be possible.. but I don't buy it yet. 2 amps .. is kind of considerable, but 16 gauge has to be overkill, i.e. the griffin.

Does anyone have a 2-3 meter cable, identical to the 1 meter Apple cable save for length, that charges the ipad at full speed? I would love you if you point me to it.

P.S. ..I guess I should explicitly say that I am using the ipad charging brick, and I already have a third party extra long cable that does not charge at full speed. I'm seeing lots of other similar complaints from others about this too.

i am also looking for a longer cable that can be used with the ac adapter the ones on ebay give the impression they only work on computer usb

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
be careful some of the 'regular' 3 meter cables aren't able to handle the current. Expect to spend at least $14 US for a cable.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
You might try trying a 3rd-party power brick.
The iPhone looks at the voltage coming in on the two data pins and that's what sets the charging rate -- 1A when powered from AC, 500mA when powered from USB.
I assume the iPad works similarly -- 2A vs 1A.
Given Apple's precision their own power brick is probably calibrated for their own charging cable and any difference in cable could be triggering the lower charge rate.
Again, we're talking about the voltage on the data wires, not the charging wires, and with the iPhone, a difference of less than 1 volt is enough to trigger the change.
A different power brick might have a little more 'slop' on the data wire output that the difference in cable won't trigger the lower charge rate.
Something to try anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.