Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Is it just that SSD hasn't been miniaturized yet or it has but too expensive?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
128GB SSD models sell for, on average, $225. Prices are dropping, however. So give it a little time.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
The iPod Touch uses 2x 32GB, not a 64gb stick.

For the 128gb iPod Touch to be sold, it'd be 2x 64gb. And that would be either late this year or next year.

I am aware of that. Most 2.5" SSDs use either 8 or 16 NANDs depending on the capacity and model (you need many NANDs to populate the channels in order to get good performance). 64GB NANDs are already available too. My point was that NAND flash prices have gone down enough to make 128GB iPod Touch plausible.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
So it's at least a year away to 128GB iPod Touch. My music library is nearing 70GB so I'm definitely in the market for this.

MParrott

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
When a lot of people need it.
I don't think there are a lot of people that need 128 gb.

With due respect, I believe the added space would enable the device to be more versatile. Just as the original iPod taught people that they "needed" it, the added space would make it possible for the device to do more things that people "need."

For example, 128 gb paired with a high quality camera/camcorder would likely move some of the camcorder market onto the iPod bandwagon. Not all, but some. Not to mention more room for TV episodes or movies for the daily commute or dragging flight. Better games and applications were already mentioned in this thread. I just don't think the product is done growing yet and space is something that has been doubling without purpose for years, leading to new uses and better quality media. Not only does apple need to provide the space, they also need to consider slightly better sound quality. I know I would welcome it. The difference between the headphones jack and the actual quality of the file is noticeable.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I was hoping to buy a 128gb touch this year but, oh well!

I've had to convert my music to 128kbps (just for "on the go"). Can't carry/buy many apps if I want to also carry my photo and music libraries with me... and they take precedence over apps.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
I imagine they'd want to get the iPod Touch up to 128GB so they could consider quietly discontinuing out the iPod Classic (or possibly increasing the storage on the Classic to justify its existence).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.