Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GadgetsDNA points to a new Chinese case design found on Alibaba that claims to be for the "iPhone 5G".
1.100% brand new high quality crystal case for iphone 5g .
2. Provides a comfortable grip, added protection against accidental drops .
3. Perfectly fits the iPhone 5g, easy to insert and remove .
What's unusual about the case is that it seems to depict a very thin-bezel design as well as a distinct camera design. (It should be noted that their iPhone 4 "crystal" designs</a> also have little in the way of bezels") The camera flash appears to be on the opposite side of the case rather than adjacent to the camera itself.

While there's been talk of these more dramatic changes, the most recent reports have claimed that the next iPhone will actually only contain minor cosmetic differences over the iPhone 4.

In fact, the closest rumor that we've seen resembling this design is one from former Engadget editor Joshua Topolsky who claimed that there would be almost no bezel on the new iPhone and that the screen would be enlarged to 3.7 inches. Topolsky, however, had previously incorrectly predicted an SD card slot in the iPad 2 -- a feature that also found its way in early case iPad 2 case designs.

Our best guess at this point is that Topolsky and these case designs share a common source. And while it may represent prototype designs being tested at Foxconn, we believe the very next iPhone will likely share a similar form factor to the present design. It's possible we could see these design elements in the future, as the iPod Touch camera was found in case designs a full release cycle ahead of the ultimate release.

Article Link: 'iPhone 5G' Case Design Shows Redesigned Camera Flash and Thin Bezel

Last edited by a moderator:

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
This design which makes it look like zero bezel [where the screen is] makes the phone look really ugly and brick-like, in my opinion.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I swear, if Apple makes the new iPhone have a screen that looks like that, all stretched and too big... :(

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
That case however leaves a lot to be desired. And when I say that, I mean in the chromatic department.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Damn that looks ugly...I don't see what the fascination is with these larger screens...they look so tacky and cheap when they go all the way to the edge.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
When I said the chromatic department, I did mean the color (ie the blue hue you see above).

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
The more I read about the 4GS the more I think that for the first time in the iphone's history I'll take a break and wait for the true 5 (hopefully with LTE)

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
It's Topolsky, not Toplosky or Toposky.

I'm pretty sure Apple won't call it the iPhone 5G.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Someone in china makes a bad photoshop and poor jpg compression, throws 5G around and it makes front page on macrumors.

5G huh?

elamar

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
3d

To me by the wide spacing of the two this could be a second camera for taking
3D imaging, what do you think.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Trust China.

They make all sorts of crap that very often does not work. It would not be surprising if this was simply some failed idea or bullcrap.
This really does not have anything to back it up.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Someone in china makes a bad photoshop and poor jpg compression, throws 5G around and it makes front page on macrumors.

5G huh?

For whatever reason, a lot of the cases you look up from China use a number and "G" (i.e. xG) for Generation, not data speed. For example, a lot of the cheaper Chinese cases for the iPhone 4 are listed as "iPhone 4G". Same with the iPod touches. Current cases are often listed as "iPod touch 4G" compatible.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
The multitouch grip of death

The screen is so close to the edges, it can cause a the dreaded "multitouch of death". Grip the sides too hard, and your fingers appear as touches to the OS.

phluid13

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

iPhone 3D maybe? Probably not. And I kinda hope not.

Freshmixture

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
Coeur d Alene, ID
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8E401)

The other location is for a 2nd camera, for 3D. The flash/light will be surrounding the lens of each

wankey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2005
Look, you guys are the same guys who whined that the iPhone 4 looked like trash when it was leaked. When Steve Jobs comes on stage and gives the run through, there will be love in your eyes.

The edgeless screen will look spectacular since nobody has done one yet. It'll look amazing since it'll be edgeless and very well put together.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Look, you guys are the same guys who whined that the iPhone 4 looked like trash when it was leaked. When Steve Jobs comes on stage and gives the run through, there will be love in your eyes.

The edgeless screen will look spectacular since nobody has done one yet. It'll look amazing since it'll be edgeless and very well put together.

Not if the resolution changes it wont. Developers will be pissed if they have to have a 4th set of graphics. We already have to have:

- iPhone
- iPhone Retina (double resolution gfx)
- iPad

Apple needs to settle for a single resolution and leave it alone. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the 3Gs and iP4 resolutions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.