Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
South Florida
I have had the Defender on my phone since I got it in February, in order to keep the IP4 PRISTINE. Well, I opened it up recently and found a couple tiny "pits" on the face of the phone. One near the Home button and the other in the top right I believe. As of now, the screen appears to be unaffected. I examined the case and actually saw a tiny piece of plastic protruding from the case where one of the pits was. Why put felt liner on the back side of the case and straight plastic to phone on the more important part, the front?

Anybody else have this issue? I'm debating contacting Otterbox. Now I'm just waiting for the LifeProof to release so I can get rid of this thing before it does anymore damage. I don't think I've dropped it once since I got it. There's a small scratch on the screen protector from our boat's glovebox so I guess the case did its job there.

I am overall disappointed and should have stuck with a Case-Mate and stick-on screen protector.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
That's strange. Sounds like you have defective case. I preordered a defenders case for my iPhone 4 when it first came out, so my iPhone 4 pretty much had a defenders case on it for as long as I owned it. I recently took my iPhone 4 out, to replace the old beat up defenders case with a new white and black defenders case. I wiped it down before putting the one on, and my iPhone 4 looks as good as it did out of the box. I just recently changed my wife's defenders case to the commuters case, and it didn't have any scratches either. I made sure hers was clean because I had to put front/back screen protectors since commuters case doesn't protect is as well as the defenders case. I'm a phone dropper, so I need the protection. In fact, I dropped my iPhone 4 with a bumper case... when I got out of the car... the day before my otterbox defenders case arrived in the mail.

EDIT: You got a little worried, so I just took it out to examine my iPhone 4. Not a single scratch.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
South Florida
That's strange. Sounds like you have defective case. I preordered a defenders case for my iPhone 4 when it first came out, so my iPhone 4 pretty much had a defenders case on it for as long as I owned it. I recently took my iPhone 4 out, to replace the old beat up defenders case with a new white and black defenders case. I wiped it down before putting the one on, and my iPhone 4 looks as good as it did out of the box. I just recently changed my wife's defenders case to the commuters case, and it didn't have any scratches either. I made sure hers was clean because I had to put front/back screen protectors since commuters case doesn't protect is as well as the defenders case. I'm a phone dropper, so I need the protection. In fact, I dropped my iPhone 4 with a bumper case... when I got out of the car... the day before my otterbox defenders case arrived in the mail.

EDIT: You got a little worried, so I just took it out to examine my iPhone 4. Not a single scratch.

I did some Googling and I don't think I was the only one. Lucky for you though :)

The only reason I'm iffy about contacting Otterbox is I had to cut the side of my case to compensate for the Verizon mute switch, but the part that damaged the phone had nothing to do with my alteration. Whether they would believe that or not who knows.

I just don't think it's worth the trouble. They spots are very tiny but a little noticeable when the phone is perfectly clean. I mean what would they do, pay for me to go to Apple and wait for them to replace the screen?

I'll take a pic or 2 later.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
South Florida
Here are the pics. It's super tiny but I'm "OCD" and it's just upsetting that a case actually "scratched" my phone.

I'll just post the links since the pics are kind of big.

Here is where I modified the case.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1513.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1512.jpg

This is the worst pic. At this angle the marks are pretty noticable.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1520.jpg

Here you can kind of see a couple small marks at the top right of the phone.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1524.jpg

Notice these are all where the plastic of the case contacts the glass.

Here is the inside of the case near the Home button.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1528.jpg

And some misc. pics of the phone as a whole. Kind of hard to notice but it bothers me because I know they're there lol

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1522.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1515.jpg

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Yah... I'm pretty odd on how i handle my iPhone. I never put my phone in my pocket to avoid dust (plus it's pretty bulky), and I'm probably one of the few that actually uses the belt clip, even if I don't clip it to my belt. It's usually on/in my backpack... or I'm holding it in my hand. As for my wife, maybe her iPhone is clean because she keeps it in her purse. I'm pretty anal, but maybe lucky.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
South Florida
Yah... I'm pretty odd on how i handle my iPhone. I never put my phone in my pocket to avoid dust (plus it's pretty bulky), and I'm probably one of the few that actually uses the belt clip, even if I don't clip it to my belt. It's usually on/in my backpack... or I'm holding it in my hand. As for my wife, maybe her iPhone is clean because she keeps it in her purse. I'm pretty anal, but maybe lucky.

I hate putting it in my pocket because the rubber gets caught on everything. I don't like the belt clip though either so it's always in my pocket. I just pray that nothing like that happens to the screen. The rest isn't that big of a deal.

Hopefully I'll have a LifeProof case this month. 100% sealed from all the elements. Then I can ditch this thing.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I honestly don't see the point of the otterboxes unless you're working in a construction zone. It's overkill and I knew cases like that will collect dirt/grime inside and scratch it up anyways. Plus, the iphone is so beautiful I think the less "case" the better. I'm rocking a white iphone 4 with bumper and crystal front/rear protectors and it's all good :)

guccigucci88

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
I honestly don't see the point of the otterboxes unless you're working in a construction zone. It's overkill and I knew cases like that will collect dirt/grime inside and scratch it up anyways. Plus, the iphone is so beautiful I think the less "case" the better. I'm rocking a white iphone 4 with bumper and crystal front/rear protectors and it's all good :)

Thats what I used to think, but after using the otterbox for 3gs the look and the feel has grown on me. Out of the 40+ cases I have I go back to the otterbox defender the most and it stays on the longest too lol If i had an iphone 4 it would prolly be a different story since the white one is sooo sweet a case would take too much away from it ;)

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
South Florida
Yeah I regret it. I take good care of my belongings but I was just paranoid about a $700 phone without warranty. If I could go back I would have got something a little less bulky. The Otterbox hides the pleasing aesthetics of the phone and reduces the clarity of the retina display.
Oh well, it survived so far so I won't complain. LifeProof needs to hurry up.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
I'm guessing when you took a dremel to the case, the shavings got into the case from the vibrations - that is if you did so while the phone was in the case.

Those stupid bumpers offer no drop protection. I've dropped my iphone 4 onto pavement a good dozen times and the phone is still mint whenever I remove to clean out any dust.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Otterbox Defender has never done any type of damage to my ip4. I work on the field as an engineer in all types of crazy conditions, plus I use it as a flashlight often. The case does a great job protecting against dust, moisture, dirt, and minor drops.

The only issue I thought I was having was that I felt the rubber was getting a bit to loose. But it seems normal now, just a case of OCD.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Otterbox Defender has never done any type of damage to my ip4. I work on the field as an engineer in all types of crazy conditions, plus I use it as a flashlight often. The case does a great job protecting against dust, moisture, dirt, and minor drops.

The only issue I thought I was having was that I felt the rubber was getting a bit to loose. But it seems normal now, just a case of OCD.

The rubber definitely gets loose over time, but a simple email or call to Otterbox and they will ship you a new one free of charge.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The rubber definitely gets loose over time, but a simple email or call to Otterbox and they will ship you a new one free of charge.

Yea I was about to do that, but it just got loose up to a certain point. Didn't continue to get any looser. It's still fits perfect, just a big differ from how tight it fit in the beginning.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2011
South Florida
I'm guessing when you took a dremel to the case, the shavings got into the case from the vibrations - that is if you did so while the phone was in the case.

Those stupid bumpers offer no drop protection. I've dropped my iphone 4 onto pavement a good dozen times and the phone is still mint whenever I remove to clean out any dust.

Lol there was not a chance in hell I was dremeling the case with the phone in it. I blew the case out afterwards, and the piece that ruined my case was physically attached to the case, near the home screen. Even so, It would be difficult for a shaving to work its way down, past the screen, and over to the home button. I'm afraid that's what Otterbox would say though. I distinctively remember picking off the piece that was protruding out of the case where the "knick" is.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
That sucks TC but you aren't the first. There are a couple videos on youtube showing people with broken iPhones after using the Defender.

While I like the Defender, I noticed over the course of the month that I used it everyday that the case started to creak and just become loose overall. This questioned the structural integrity for me so I removed my phone from and went to the Ballistic case for a while. While I loved holster and protection the screen protector sucked and the silicone on the outside was way too loose making it hard to remove from the holster after a week.

The Griffin Survivor is what I use currently for my rugged needs. Awesome case with an amazing screen protector and basically an impenetrable wall around my phone. While I hate the clip it comes with, the actual case is awesome.

I just ordered a Griffin Explorer (https://store.griffintechnology.com/iphone/iphone-4/explorer) which looks to be essentially the Defender for the 3GS but obviously built for the 4. I loved the 3GS Defender and felt it was the perfect case. Not too big, but ultra protective and the silicone was awesome around the case making the phone pocketable.

The iPhone 4 version of the Defender has such loose silicone that it is tough to keep in place and the holster it came with has the belt clip portion centered on the back so it never would sit right when clipped to my pants.

I'm going to try the Explorer, but will ultimately stick with the Survivor if it stinks.

guccigucci88

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2010
The defender silicone definitely gets loose after a while but I think the wear is most likely from taking it on and off (I do it all the time) and its actually still held up pretty good. Customer service is excellent with otterbox so anytime you need a new skin or even case they'll send you one no questions asked (personal experience).

after looking at some reviews im not going to lie the sharkeye actually looks pretty cool lol Im impressed that screen which honestly looks kinda crappy can withstand a 1 pound ball... If its not any bigger than the defender for iphone 3gs i might buy it.

tsolt

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Nevada
Here are the pics. It's super tiny but I'm "OCD" and it's just upsetting that a case actually "scratched" my phone.

I'll just post the links since the pics are kind of big.

Here is where I modified the case.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1513.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1512.jpg

This is the worst pic. At this angle the marks are pretty noticable.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1520.jpg

Here you can kind of see a couple small marks at the top right of the phone.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1524.jpg

Notice these are all where the plastic of the case contacts the glass.

Here is the inside of the case near the Home button.
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1528.jpg

And some misc. pics of the phone as a whole. Kind of hard to notice but it bothers me because I know they're there lol

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1522.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/Otterbox Defender/IMG_1515.jpg

It looks like you never cleaned out the case every once in awhile.

ethan13597

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
The case is not defected we'll actualy it is because you Tampere with it you caused the damage to your phone if you look around where you modified the case you can see small plastic particles similar to the ones around the bottom of the front part of the case you have put your phone in with those particles there and the have over time stuck to the case due to the pressure of the phone there fore don't go crying to otter box the make the best case for a iPhone it's just idiots like you that decide the will tamper with the design of them it is no ones fault that your iphone is damaged but your NOOB

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I know this is an older thread, but it's related to a question I have posted regarding my iphone screen.

I really wish I had not purchased or used the otterbox defender case with it's built-in screen protector. I just didn't know any better and I naively assumed the otterbox would afford complete protection. I didn't think to clean the back of the screen protector first.

I guess it didn't help that the case wasn't actually new but was obviously used.

--

The problem for me is, I don't know if the glass screen on the phone has been scratched or whether I'm simply seeing normal variation in the grain/crystal structure of the glass itself. After all, I am viewing the screen with a flashlight, with my nose literally to the screen.

Would appreciate some insight from experienced iphone users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.