Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Seems Hardmac.com has figured it out:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/05/14/it-is-currently-impossible-to-replace-the-hard-drive-of-the-2011-imac

Hardmac.com said:
chandd.jpg

It is the solution provided by Apple on the models coming with an SSD: short-circuit pins 2 and 7 on the power supply cable.

Here is also an explanation of the reasons that pushed Apple to introduce that system in the 2009 iMac. As we sais earlier, the iMac checks very often the temperature of the hard drive. If it was doing so with the SMART system, it would shrink the disk bandwidth and would freeze the disk for a very short time at every check.
Therefore Apple decided to do it with an Out of Bandwidth system, outside of the data channels of the disks. At first the company used connectors added to most hard drives and used for programming and testing the disk. That solution had one drawback as each manufacturer had its own connector. The 2011 model uses a new system. All the information now goes through pin 11 of the power supply connector, which is normally used to light-up a LED during disk activity. In prodder to change the use of that pin, a specific firmware was needed, which explains the reason that only disks sold by Apple in the iMac don't have any problem.

OWC has also posted a follow-up post, but it still doesn't address this discovery from Hardmac.com:

http://blog.macsales.com/10206-further-explained-apples-imac-2011-model-hard-drive-restrictions#more-10206

Alkohol

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2011
I'm gonna put in the same OCZ Vertex 3 SSD as you. Is it an easy install?
Im gonna follow the ChargedPC guide:
http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

As I can see I just need to do the first 3 steps and then I have access to the internal HD. Can I just then swap it out directly without touching the logicboard?

No you wont have to do anything with the motherboard. Just remove the two screws holding the harddrive, then you use the 3,5" adaptor for the Vertex 3. Unfortunately the adaptor isnt long enough, so you wont be able to use both scews thats holding the harddrive when youre mounting the ssd, but thats fine, just put some tape around the ssd/its adaptor and the metalpiece that was mounted on the original HDD.
Hope my explanation was good enough.
Good luck!

Hecro

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Denmark
No you wont have to do anything with the motherboard. Just remove the two screws holding the harddrive, then you use the 3,5" adaptor for the Vertex 3. Unfortunately the adaptor isnt long enough, so you wont be able to use both scews thats holding the harddrive when youre mounting the ssd, but thats fine, just put some tape around the ssd/its adaptor and the metalpiece that was mounted on the original HDD.
Hope my explanation was good enough.
Good luck!

Thank you!
I will be upgrading my iMac with SSD during the next week. If I experience any fan issues, I will just use the software method (HDDFanControl).

ecstacy2012

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
I wanted to know if anyone that has gotten the imac 27 inch 2011 model has gotten the sdd and hdd and then tried to replace both with ssd's such as sata III and another question, did they try to software raid them?

Dresevski

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2011
Minnesnowda
I wanted to know if anyone that has gotten the imac 27 inch 2011 model has gotten the sdd and hdd and then tried to replace both with ssd's such as sata III and another question, did they try to software raid them?

Apple hasn't shipped the iMacs with BTO SSD's yet...should happen in a month

Frostywinter

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
I just finished installing a 240Gig Vertex 3 SSD and also upgraded the factory 1TB WD Black Hard Drive to a 2TB WD Black Hard Drive in may brand new 27" i7 2011 iMac.
Took about 2 1/2 hours to get it all in place.

Just reinstalling OSX now and so far so good.. :)

Frosty
Australia

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
I just finished installing a 240Gig Vertex 3 SSD and also upgraded the factory 1TB WD Black Hard Drive to a 2TB WD Black Hard Drive in may brand new 27" i7 2011 iMac.
Took about 2 1/2 hours to get it all in place.

Just reinstalling OSX now and so far so good.. :)

Frosty
Australia

Sounds good. Let us know what the outcome is, besides the ludicrous speed.
Hope the fans don't go Mirror Drive Door G4 on you (ie. go stonking full speed.)

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Sounds good. Let us know what the outcome is, besides the ludicrous speed.
Hope the fans don't go Mirror Drive Door G4 on you (ie. go stonking full speed.)

The fans will not go full speed BUT the hdd fan now will not react to HDD temperature increase as the mac now thinks is an SSD and doesn't need cooling.

I highly recommend keeping an eye on the temperature and install HDD Fan Control to be on the safe side.

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
The fans will not go full speed BUT the hdd fan now will not react to HDD temperature increase as the mac now thinks is an SSD and doesn't need cooling.

I highly recommend keeping an eye on the temperature and install HDD Fan Control to be on the safe side.

At least they got that right. No moving parts = not as much heat generated by the SSD = no need to ramp up a fan to cool it.

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
At least they got that right. No moving parts = not as much heat generated by the SSD = no need to ramp up a fan to cool it.

This happens when you use a y-splitter SATA power cable and pin #11 gets grounded, effectively neutralising the thermal sensor as described above.

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
This happens when you use a y-splitter SATA power cable and pin #11 gets grounded, effectively neutralising the thermal sensor as described above.

Didn't Hardmac say something about if you did that, the Mac would report the drive bay as empty, even though it is populated?

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Didn't Hardmac say something about if you did that, the Mac would report the drive bay as empty, even though it is populated?

Yes, it says on post #78 I think. Not sure if it reports the bay empty since it clearly has and uses a drive in the bay but rather ignores the temperature signal and keeps the fan at low speed as it would do with a SSD.

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Cool, thanks for answering. 3rd party shop said it can do the upgrade without violating any applecare and have it installed within 24 hrs for roughly $100.00. What's the consensus about which SSD...OWC mercury extreme, OCZ Vertex 3 or the new Intel sata 3?

Someone had a speed issue with the Intel SSD and then swapped it to Vertex 3. I also use the Vertex 3 and some other users confirmed it too so I guess that is a popular choice now. I haven't heard any reports for the OWC ssd yet.

The are all new models so not many reports about their reliability but so far so good.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Honestly, I dont have the guts nor patience to rip apart iMac to install third party SSD inside, i might end up having my iMac broken and cant put things together back as it was. I really want SSD, but on smaller capacity (128Gb) since the price quite reasonable rather than 256Gb Apple offered.

But, does AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) willing to install third party SSD for my iMac? How much would it cost including installation fee? I don´t want to spend $600 for additional 256Gb SSD from Apple, they just cost too much, not overpriced ... but really, I dont want to spend that money for SSD only.

Any information regarding SSD (especially 128Gb) installation on AASP?

maxinc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010

Probably best to call your local AASP and ask them directly. Most likely they won't have the Apple SSDs since nobody has them yet so they may be able to add a 120GB SSD of your choice and charge you some labor. As far as compatibility goes, there are absolutely no issues installing an non-apple SSD into your iMac in addition to the original HDD.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Honestly, I dont have the guts nor patience to rip apart iMac to install third party SSD inside, i might end up having my iMac broken and cant put things together back as it was. I really want SSD, but on smaller capacity (128Gb) since the price quite reasonable rather than 256Gb Apple offered.

But, does AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) willing to install third party SSD for my iMac? How much would it cost including installation fee? I don´t want to spend $600 for additional 256Gb SSD from Apple, they just cost too much, not overpriced ... but really, I dont want to spend that money for SSD only.

Really, it's the local AASP's that can answer your question. My closest one (been doing it for years) will charge somewhere between $85-100 for the installation, and will continue to honor applecare. Best of all, he states he can have it done roughly by the next business day. Suh-weet!

Just wondering what kind of SSD apple will be installing? It would have to be sata 3, wouldn't it? Considering the ocz's and the OWC Mercury Extreme's are roughly $500, $600 to add a drive through apple wouldn't be outright rape if the drive was comparable or even decent.

Will the new intel chipset on the 11 iMacs allow the ssd and hdd to act together as a big honkin' hybrid drive?

If not, does anyone know of a good guide of how to configure your OS and apps to take full advantage of such a combo?

tsugaru

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Edmonton
Really, it's the local AASP's that can answer your question. My closest one (been doing it for years) will charge somewhere between $85-100 for the installation, and will continue to honor applecare. Best of all, he states he can have it done roughly by the next business day. Suh-weet!

Just wondering what kind of SSD apple will be installing? It would have to be sata 3, wouldn't it? Considering the ocz's and the OWC Mercury Extreme's are roughly $500, $600 to add a drive through apple wouldn't be outright rape if the drive was comparable or even decent.

Will the new intel chipset on the 11 iMacs allow the ssd and hdd to act together as a big honkin' hybrid drive?

If not, does anyone know of a good guide of how to configure your OS and apps to take full advantage of such a combo?

Z68 caching is only good in Windows via Intel Rapid Storage 10.5. Apple could make their own implementation, but I don't see it happening like that yet.

Not all new SSDs are SATA 6Gb/s though. The new Intel 310 series is SATA 3Gb/s. Hopefully they put a 6Gb/s SSD in. Who knows til someone gets one (and posts.)

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Probably best to call your local AASP and ask them directly. Most likely they won't have the Apple SSDs since nobody has them yet so they may be able to add a 120GB SSD of your choice and charge you some labor. As far as compatibility goes, there are absolutely no issues installing an non-apple SSD into your iMac in addition to the original HDD.

Thank you .. I was just trying to find a price reference and comparison about additional fees (labor, tools, cables etc). I want to go with 120Gb SSD, We don´t lose SuperDrive by installing SSD along with stock HDD, right? It´s 27¨ iMac i´m talking about

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Thank you .. I was just trying to find a price reference and comparison about additional fees (labor, tools, cables etc). I want to go with 120Gb SSD, We don´t lose SuperDrive by installing SSD along with stock HDD, right? It´s 27¨ iMac i´m talking about

Nope. I think (been reading so many guides in the last couple of days on this that I'm about to go crosseyed and insane) it's mounted beneath the SD. Think I'd much rather spend a benjamin rather than spend a good chunk of a weekend squinting and swearing during a DIY.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.