Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

vanity_fair_golf_digest.jpg

Making good on its promise to roll out more titles on the iPad, Conde Nast today released in-app subscriptions and apps for Vanity Fair, Glamour, Golf Digest and Allure.

The monthly magazines will run $1.99 per issue or $19.99 per year on the iPad, with current print subscribers receiving the iPad issues for free. Print subscriptions are available directly through the magazines' websites for the same price as the iPad versions: $19.99/year, notably keeping Conde within Apple's pricing guidelines for in-app subscriptions.

From an internal memo by Conde Nast President Bob Sauerberg:
Today's rollout follows last Monday's successful debut of iPad subscriptions for The New Yorker, which was the top-grossing app for most of the week. We're clearly tapping into the enormous appetite consumers have for our award-winning content.

Thank you to everyone who worked so hard to bring this next important step in our digital growth to market on schedule. We should all be exceedingly proud of each and every milestone.
A Conde Nast spokesperson declined to comment when asked about iPad subscription numbers for The New Yorker.

With in-app subscriptions for five Conde Nast magazines now available for the iPad, subscriptions for the publisher's remaining three iPad magazines (Wired, Self and GQ) should be rolling out by the end of the month.

Article Link: Conde Nast Rolls Out Four New iPad Magazine Subscriptions, 'New Yorker' Launch Successful

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
I'm not too amazed by these magazines.

The only great iPad magazine adaption so far (imo) is from the Economist. With a normal subscription (i buy mine per 3 years for about £200,-) you get both the weekly print AND the FULL edition digitally, together with a spoken version of it (full). Great for in the car. Pop on the economist, drive, listen to quality articles.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Yeah, that attitude is why geeks never get catered to by society at large.

Considering the fact that it takes about an extra hour or two to back up my iPad after downloading a single issue of Wired, I really don't feel as though I owe them any sort of courtesy.

If they offer an option to disable library backup like in the Zinio app, then maybe I'll bite my tongue.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
So if you purchase the iPad subscription, it doesn't include the print copy? That's very clever on their part. A great way to absorb & circumvent in a round about way the 30% cut going to Apple. And a nice bonus for those buying the paper subscription.

In spite of seeing more magazines hit the iPad, I still think Apple is impairing innovation and the industry with the 30% cut. Giving away the digital versions to traditional subscribers but not giving a paper copy to digital subscribers shows the ouch of that fee as well as the lack of innovation going into the digital versions. I hate to say this, but I think the Android space as it blossoms will be what drives innovation in digital magazines with IOS users eventually benefiting. (Interactive magazines, not just a glorified digital print ala Zino reader like function.) I think once it's a proven business model, advertisers will embrace it and push it forward. Seeing a paper ad is one thing, but if it's an ad the reader is interested in, having an interactive element to learn about a product would be kind of neat. Like car ads. Not having to go to the car company's site to take a virtual tour of a vehicle, etc.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
New Yorker! Yes!

I'll be subscribing immediately. I've already got it on Flipboard, but I don't get the entire issue at that way.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
So if you purchase the iPad subscription, it doesn't include the print copy? That's very clever on their part. A great way to absorb & circumvent in a round about way the 30% cut going to Apple.

Printing and distribution has always been far - far more than a 30% cut. More like 50-60%. This is a great deal for publishers, a lousy deal for printers, distributors, and the post office.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
So if you purchase the iPad subscription, it doesn't include the print copy? That's very clever on their part. A great way to absorb & circumvent in a round about way the 30% cut going to Apple. And a nice bonus for those buying the paper subscription.

In spite of seeing more magazines hit the iPad, I still think Apple is impairing innovation and the industry with the 30% cut. Giving away the digital versions to traditional subscribers but not giving a paper copy to digital subscribers shows the ouch of that fee as well as the lack of innovation going into the digital versions. I hate to say this, but I think the Android space as it blossoms will be what drives innovation in digital magazines with IOS users eventually benefiting. (Interactive magazines, not just a glorified digital print ala Zino reader like function.) I think once it's a proven business model, advertisers will embrace it and push it forward. Seeing a paper ad is one thing, but if it's an ad the reader is interested in, having an interactive element to learn about a product would be kind of neat. Like car ads. Not having to go to the car company's site to take a virtual tour of a vehicle, etc.

Funny how now that Apple has made the pubs go through them, they are selling like crazy....Also, I don't want the paper copies, the whole reason I have been waiting for iPad version to come down in price which has happen now that Apple is forcing them to sell the iPad version for the same price or less.

Are these magazines like Wired was when it came out, 600 megs each?

The New Yorker seems to be around 100-150mg each week. I think it because of all the images....

Last edited by a moderator:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Personally I could care less about magazines anymore. I use to read them all the time. But instant and far more detailed reporting on enthusiast websites replaced the ole magazine for me years ago.

Also do these iPad magazines have ads? The ads are supposed to be there to offset printing and shipping costs. Since these costs do not exist with a e-magazine it makes sense that they should have no ads.

Now if only she'd do Playboy

Just not one of those artsy pieces with weird shading, coloring and body paint they seem to do with celebrities nor black and white. More like the normal lighting of college girls, cyber girls &c.

Though I'd prefer her to do Hustler or Club:p.

dvkid

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Print subscriptions are available directly through the magazines' websites for the same price as the iPad versions: $19.99/year, notably keeping Conde within Apple's pricing guidelines for in-app subscriptions.

It was my understanding that this clause only applied to digital subscriptions. For example, if Vanity Fair were to sell a digital-only subscription on their website it would have to retail for the same price as it does within the application.

Apple is seeking to keep publishers from undercutting the App Store as a way to circumvent the 30%.

That said, Conde Nast's decision not to charge more for the print+digital subscription means all but the most digitally-devoted will likely still subscribe via the website where they get the print+digital for the same price that Apple will sell them just the digital.

drewt

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008
Get the subscription process straight...

Paid my $$ for The New Yorker... got the first week ok, now can't get the second without having to sign in again with information they haven't given to me! Very frustrating.

Narial Taster

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
Here's some good news for those of you who still haven't subscribed to The New Yorker. The New Yorker website was still selling print subscriptions at the old price ($39.95/year or $69.95/two years) a day or two after the iPad subs went live and the prices got revised. I saved the links, managed to subscribe at the old price, and it looks like these links still work!

Subscription - http://goo.gl/Q19SP
Gift a subscription - http://goo.gl/6HV71

Last edited:

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Hi-yo !

Nothing Conde Nast publishes interests me enough to subscribe to their content. I am waiting for the Publishers Clearing House to offer iPad magazines and a chance to win a million dollars and have someone show up at my door with a giant cardboard check with my name on it. Just as soon as I win an iPad in a contest.

iMacx

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Is it just me, or did anyone else just stare at the vanity fair cover without reading the article? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.