Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Last edited by a moderator:

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Thank god they're getting rid of that annoying download window in Safari.

The new version of Safari won't be Lion only, will it?

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Uh, I have this same build, and don't get that login animation. Instead, I get the traditional spinning cube. Why?

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I dislike the black and white icons on the left side of the finder, but I got used to them in itunes so I guess I will here too. However, ical and address book are fugly! Why is apple taking away subtle colors and making dramatic changes to everyday software that was fie as it was? Mail is a huge improvement, so why is ical so icky?

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
LaunchPad

Not really sure how I feel about LaunchPad. I didn't like the iPhone GUI when it came out - but I got used to it. Is LaunchPad the new Finder? I hope not - I like the whole nested folder thing in column view as it is now, but as I am a long time Mac user I know new ideas aren't necessarily bad.
:confused::eek:

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Thank god they're getting rid of that annoying download window in Safari.

They're not getting rid of it entirely. It's still available under the Window menu.

2yw8i09.jpg

EDIT: Just got this when I quit a Fluid-based app.

2igd2ko.png

Last edited:

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Apple Top Menu Bar...UPDATE!

Apple, PLEASE, for the love of God, UPDATE the top Menu pull down bar! It is a relic from Mac OS 9 & past & has no place in Mac OS X, let alone Lion ( Mac OS X + iOS )

Make it look like the menu bar on the opening Apple website. Grey, metal, slick, modern.

OR just a series of grey "capsules" with font inside of them like in Safari "bookmarks", pull down should be a stack vertical set of "capsules" in silver grey & translucent.

ANYTHING, just kill the "look & feel" of the 'Ye 'Ol Timey Menu'.

What happened to the 3D Cube based UI concept?

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Mac OS X "DOCK" AND Launch Pad iOS Desktop?

WHY BOTH?

Am I missing something here?

Mac OS X + iOS = BOTH? Not a Hybrid?
Too much. Can you shut off "Dock" & just have Launch Pad "Desktop"?
:confused:

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Gimmicky iCal and Address Book

I dislike the black and white icons on the left side of the finder, but I got used to them in itunes so I guess I will here too. However, ical and address book are fugly! Why is apple taking away subtle colors and making dramatic changes to everyday software that was fie as it was? Mail is a huge improvement, so why is ical so icky?

I think it's an inefficient use of space and gimmicky to make iCal.app and AddressBook.app look like their analog counterparts. Instead of making the apps look like cheap knockoffs of the original Apple should take design queues from the real ones and apply them to their digital counterparts.

Imagine a calendar with the close, minimize, and maximize printed on it...wait that might be interesting...;)

EatSleepMac

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
New York
launchpad thoughts...

I had a feeling there would be some iOS qualities added to the mix. I can't say i blame them, the global obsession with iOS devices is outstanding. Gotta give the people what they want.. Personally I think it's cool looking, but as LLIBSETAG said is there really a need for both the dock and the launchpad? I guess you could save yourself from overcrowding your dock and I imagine the launchpad can hold a lot more apps due to the folder system but who knows maybe its just a gimmick for iOS nuts.

calbear93

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
What exact date do you guys think Lion will be released?

Do you guys like how they've taken out Exposé/Spaces completely and replaced it with Mission Control? Do you think it's better than before?

As a prospective computer science major at Cal Berkeley, do you guys think it would be sensible to use Mac OS X Lion?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I'll say one thing about the new Mission Control compared to even Mission Control in preview 2 -- it's a total disaster if you have more than one monitor.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Are there any actual real advancements made in Lion, or is it just a minor facelift? Judging from these videos im going with the latter.

I see no benefit in updating.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Are there any actual real advancements made in Lion, or is it just a minor facelift? Judging from these videos im going with the latter.

I see no benefit in updating.

Depends on what you consider a real advancement. See http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/. I think Autosave, Versions, and Resume will have the most impact, at least for applications that are revised to use those features. The highly-hyped Mission Control is a step backwards, IMHO. Also Rosetta is gone, for anyone that still needs to run PPC apps.

I'm new. How do I post a new question?

Look at the top of the page where it says "FAQ/Rules" and click on "FAQ". Scroll down to the instructions.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Do you guys like how they've taken out Exposé/Spaces completely and replaced it with Mission Control? Do you think it's better than before?

Wait a minute, they're going to be totally gone? Is that right? I though Mission Control was in addition to Exposé and Spaces?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.