Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gmeipod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Is this the real Beats by Dr. Dre Tour Headphones or is it a Replica?

I heard you can tell if there the replicas if the writing on the back is faded the only thing on the back that looks a little more faded then the actual official ones is the picture of Dre on the back he is a little bit more darker but everything else is actually brighter then the normal replicas that I have seen online.

The reason I ask is because I bought these for a total of $50 on amazon and he sent me the pictures of it.

Thank You

Attachments

• S__4A81 (4).jpeg
    S__4A81 (4).jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 5,169
  • S__3280 (5).jpeg
    S__3280 (5).jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 3,544

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Look real enough, there is someone in my area on craigslist selling beats really cheap with the exact same box so could be fake. I hate how we have to question everything now days.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I could tell you right now if I could see the top of the box...I bought a set off eBay that said "100% authentic" for around $60 I think. They arrived and I knew as soon as I seen the box they were fake, opening them up confirmed everything. Needless to say...I raped them via Paypal in return.

Here is what the ones I received looked like, excuse the bad image but all the white you see is some kind of dirt or something and the aluminum part was coming out of the plastic -
179330_1771229396506_1112377031_32034614_199682_n.jpg

Here is the big one, the bottom is real...if you open it after see the box that looks like the one two pictures down and encounter a box opening like the top one here, it is counterfeit -
DSC04235.jpg

Notice the recess in the box here at the bottom, the top is recessed the same but I couldnt find a picture - This is a real box -
1295659441_157295999_1-Pictures-of--Beats-by-Dr-Dre-Tour-hard-box.jpg

And here is a selection of fake boxes, if you see this you might as well just send it back. Notice how the top is smooth and not recessed in like the above picture -
monster-beats-by-dr-dre-headphones-noodle-brand-new-box-6e3b2.jpg

Here is a link that shows how to detect counterfeits -
http://liljetjennie.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/fake-beats-tour-dr-dre-headphones/

My guess is they are fake, sorry.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I didn't need to see any pictures to tell you they were fake. After I read $60 from Amazon, I could tell they will be fakes. Use your common sense, who would sell Dr. Dre Beats Tour, new in the box for $60, it doesn't make sense and screams SCAM, SCAM, SCAM to me.

Demand a refund from the seller/and or contact Amazon and the anti internet-fraud department of your country.

tjb1

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2010
Pennsylvania, USA
I didn't need to see any pictures to tell you they were fake. After I read $60 from Amazon, I could tell they will be fakes. Use your common sense, who would sell Dr. Dre Beats Tour, new in the box for $60, it doesn't make sense and screams SCAM, SCAM, SCAM to me.

Demand a refund from the seller/and or contact Amazon and the anti internet-fraud department of your country.

$60 doesnt necessarily mean fake...

macnewbbie

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2006
Has anyone bought the fake beats tour earphones that are being sold on dealextreme? If so, what do you think of them? I don't expect the same sound quality as the real ones that cost +100$ but they seem to be popular there and although im not the most exigent person when it comes to sound i do appreciate a good/decent sound. I was thinking of getting these because of the fact that they are in-ear and i do like them a lot.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Whats the big deal about these headphones, is the sound that good? I have the apple in ear ones, they are great to me? Anyone want to chime in on what I am missing? They have iPhone one's w/ mic???

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Whats the big deal about these headphones, is the sound that good? I have the apple in ear ones, they are great to me? Anyone want to chime in on what I am missing? They have iPhone one's w/ mic???

It's just marketing, and because the Beats look good. It's Monster, it's overpriced. The audio quality can be beat by other headphones in the $100 price range.

jambu

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
tried.

Ive tested the fake one. monster. Doesnt matter, both basses left right still blow my brain out!!

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I have the same one. Bought it from Best Buy. Real Beats have the "b" engraved on the earbuds. Box is bigger and embossed. The pull out box inside is very solid and sturdy. Earbuds don't have a serial number verification unfortunately.

I can actually believe that price. I just took a look and yours doesn't have Control Talk. That feature makes it cost more.

iAlwaysKnowIt

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Know where to buy them

I have 99% that these are fake. First, if you were to buy them, get them from a trusted retailer. Large ones such as Best Buy, Futureshop, Apple or directly from Monster.

Second, you will realize immediately from the price. No reasonable person would sell brand new unused Beats for less than $100.

Third, the pictures that they send you are all the same. If you ask any FAKE seller to send you pictures, they will send you the same ones. And so far, the pictures do look fake.

Hope this helps.
:cool:

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
It's just marketing, and because the Beats look good. It's Monster, it's overpriced. The audio quality can be beat by other headphones in the $100 price range.

But honestly, most people won't care. Monster and their celeb-branded line deliver great bass response with murky sound. If all you care about is bass, they're going to sound great, and most consumers have nothing to compare them to.

You know, The Apple Store will actually let you try every earbud they have before you buy. I didn't know this, and I'm pretty sure most people don't, but they keep a case of disposable foam plugs in the back of the store just for this purpose.

My suggestion to anyone in the market: Bring in your iPod with a bass-driven song with a lot of mid and high detail like Trentemøller's "Always Something Better" vocal dub, and listen to it with their highest end earbud, then compare it to the lowest end. You should notice a BIG difference in sound quality between earbuds.

Last edited:

mcdog

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
Fake Beats

i bought some from here http://allbeatsbydre.ecrater.com/ and they were amazing, i kinda knew they were going to be fake and bad quality, but these blew my mind i probably would've paid 100 for these things and the control talk works on my iPhone!!

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Do Tours have serial numbers like other Beats do? If so, you can enter the serial number into the Beats site to see if they're legit. If Tours are meant to have serial numbers but don't, then that's a clear sign there's something not right.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
how is the audio quality on the fake ones?

Do really think those counterfeit artists in China give a duck about the sound? For really real ones the sound quality is already mediocre at best. I prefer Sennheiser (but they are victims of counterfeiters too, you must buy them from a real first source.)

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I don't think it matters if it's fake or not. It's crap sound in an expensive package (and brand) anyways.

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
just go with it, whether they are legit or not they are still going to sound the same and hey maybe the build quality and sound are actually a little better. The headphones still have a B on them so everyone will still know you're listening to beats AND you got all this for only $50 = WIN

App King

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
I think the price is a dead give away. If it is too good to be true then it probably is fake.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
just go with it, whether they are legit or not they are still going to sound the same and hey maybe the build quality and sound are actually a little better. The headphones still have a B on them so everyone will still know you're listening to beats AND you got all this for only $50 = WIN

Wow, I can't imagine that a fake version (likely with .50 internals) would be the same as the authentic ones, unless they're both, real and fake poor earbuds with heavy marketing - a scam. I have a pair of Sennheiser buds I bought a few years ago for close to $80. They sound amazing, easily outclass the Apple buds.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
A buddy of mine played a joke on his son by swapping out his REAL tour's for a pair of chineese fakes he picked up while in Taiwan (a place he hated, oddly enough... I enjoyed the place minus the overt cruelty to turtles in all the marketplaces (since they eat them there haha)...).

At any rate, his son used the fakes for 2 weeks, and one day out of the blue his dad asked him what he though of them?:

"Dad, I don't know what happened, but I think I finally broke my beats in because all of a sudden they sound GREAT!!!"

Moral is, if you like the sound of crap already, you'll REALLY like the sound of cheaper crap...

Sorry, but there are NO reputable sources that rate beats model's higher than any number of their direct competitors. But the direct competitors don't pay Dr. Dre millions of dollars to pretend to like them, so the competitors just sell to people who can tell the difference.

Paying for brand is fine, as long as you realize you're paying for brand. Keep the fakes. You're just buying them for status anyway. No one will know =).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.