Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4_side_shot.jpg

Though not a particular surprise, Digitime's sources claim that the LTE-enabled "iPhone 4S" is unlikely to launch until 2012.
Apple is likely to delay the launch of its LTE-enabled iPhones to 2012, said the sources, noting that the industry had also long been skeptical about the launch of LTE iPhones in 2011 as the implementation of LTE networks has not yet matured.
LTE is the next generation data transfer technology beyond 3G and is frequently labeled 4G. Both AT&T and Verizon are supporting LTE as their next generation data protocol.

Digitimes' report confusingly refers to the 2012 iPhone as the "4S" which is the name also given to expected 2011 iPhone. In a separate report Digitimes says that Apple is already lowering iPhone 4 orders in the second quarter of 2011 in anticipation of the new model in September.
Production of iPhone 4S will begin in August and the earliest launch may be in September. All the 3G and CDMA chips for iPhone 4S will be supplied by Qualcomm and the rear camera will be upgraded to a 8-megapixel resolution model with OmniVision Technologies and Taiwan-based Largan Precision to supply image sensors and lens kits respectively, the sources indicated.
Apple is widely expected to launch a new iPhone around September this year, but most have expected that support for 4G networks would likely wait until 2012. Other reports have also said that the proper LTE chips simply won't be ready for production this year.
Article Link: Apple LTE-enabled iPhone Likely Due in 2012

Last edited by a moderator:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Duh! Finally glad this board has caught up to the word of the iPhone 4G / 4S / 4GS this summer and the iPhone 5 next year.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
Great another reason to give the sheep something to complain about. I can just see these forums lighting up with issues because of lte non-problems.

Lets just start now and call it LTE gate and demand free cases from apple.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Don't really care about LTE yet (3G speeds are fine for me now) so I'll probably just go for the 4S or whatever the hell they call it. I think one line on my account should be eligible for an upgrade every year anyways so I could take advantage of that if the iPhone LTE is that good.

EatSleepMac

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
New York
really?

Duh! Finally glad this board has caught up to the word of the iPhone 4G / 4S / 4GS this summer and the iPhone 5 next year.
You sound pretty sure of this, what makes you think they're not going straight to the 5? I mean there's been massive talk about the iPhone 5 being next I'm wondering if them going with the 4S instead will be a let down to some people. Then again the 3GS is what, something like the 2nd most profitable phone ever sold.. idk

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I don't really care about the LTE network, I just really want a bigger screen. Why do I feel like I won't be happy come September?:(

canderton

macrumors member
May 25, 2010
I'm actually glad the 4S won't be LTE enabled. For one, less battery life, but the main reason being I want to keep my unlimited data. And you better believe that once you step up to LTE, they'll force you into a tiered plan. If AT&T could just beef up their current 3G network, I'd be completely fine. 3G speeds are more than adequate for a phone.

If the 4S came with a slightly bigger screen, the A5 chip, more RAM, and possibly a 64GB version, I'd be a happy camper.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm calling 4S: A5 proc, 8MP camera, slightly bigger screen (same resolution), higher capacity. Probably NFC.

iPhone 5: A5, LTE, NFC for sure, bigger screen, higher capacity. MAYBE Thunderbolt (but I doubt the chipset will be low-power/small enough).

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm actually glad the 4S won't be LTE enabled. For one, less battery life, but the main reason being I want to keep my unlimited data. And you better believe that once you step up to LTE, they'll force you into a tiered plan. If AT&T could just beef up their current 3G network, I'd be completely fine. 3G speeds are more than adequate for a phone.

If the 4S came with a slightly bigger screen, the A5 chip, more RAM, and possibly a 64GB version, I'd be a happy camper.

I have to agree with everything you said here. Especially what is bolded.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I don't really care about the LTE network, I just really want a bigger screen. Why do I feel like I won't be happy come September?:(

I just bought the samsung infuse 4.5" screen its nice work well but don't have the iphone finish
but if I look at the iphone 5 picture I better stay away.
the only think that I see for the future is my blackberry for work and iphone for play.

rfahey

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2009
Everytime you guys post a "4s" rumor i want to virtually slap you 'cross the face.

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

What's for lunch?

DeanSolecki

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011
I predict:

...people with iPhone 4's will say it's a lame upgrade and they're glad they'll be getting the LTE release next year...

...the 3G and 3GS crowd will say that the 3G network is the greatest thing to ever happen to man and anything beyond it would just be shameless excess...

...this year's model will be called the same number as the iOS that comes pre-installed on it... Hmm...

...oh and there will be some (mostly) irrelevant manufacturing issue that will get blown completely out of proportion.

For the record I've got an iPhone 4 and I'm glad I'll be getting the LTE model next year... I hope they call it an iPhone Pro just to piss you 3GSers off! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.