Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's longtime camera sensor supplier for iOS devices, OmniVision Technologies, today announced the introduction of a new 5-megapixel sensor that could lead to thinner mobile devices while also offering the ability to shoot video at 1080p. The new sensor checks in at under 5 mm high, 20% thinner than other industry-leading sensors.
OmniVision Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: OVTI), a leading developer of advanced digital imaging solutions, today introduced the OV5690, the first 5-megapixel image sensor to use OmniVision's proprietary OmniBSI-2 pixel architecture. The new 1.4-micron backside illumination pixel allows for a full five megapixels in a 1/4-inch optical format, and combines best-in-class image quality with a 20 percent reduction in camera module height, making it an effective solution for slimmer mobile handsets, smart phones and tablet computers.
While Apple has been claimed by several sources to be planning to use an 8-megapixel camera for the next-generation iPhone, up from a 5-megapixel sensor in the iPhone 4, many of Apple's other mobile devices such as the iPad and iPod touch utilize camera with significantly lower resolutions of under 1 megapixel. With the non-iPhone devices exhibiting thinner form factors than the iPhone, Apple has had to sacrifice on the camera quality and resort to thinner, lower-resolution sensors on those models.

Article Link: OmniVision's New 5-MP 1080p Camera Sensor Opens Door to Thinner Devices

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are also factors like cost, the iPhone is 3x more than the iPod touch. I don't know how much you can copy and keep it the same price.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are also factors like cost, the iPhone is 3x more than the iPod touch. I don't know how much you can copy and keep it the same price.

1.) I was under the impression that the camera cost was quite small compared to that of the screen.

2.) Apple has a pretty large profit margin, they can afford to stick in better parts without worrying that much about cost.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
We dont want thinner! STOP THE OBESSION WITH THIN.

Especially when it handcuffs power.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
5 MP or 1080p means nothing to me. Let's hear about the sensor resolution, not how big photos it can shoot. Nothing there says it's automatically better than a 3-4 MP camera. If the photos are soft in 5 MP, it's just a waste of space.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Great so does this mean ipad3 gets 8mp cameras as well as improved screen resolution. Only ten months to wait to update my ipad1. Should be a good list of improvements by the time next March comes around

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
5 MP or 1080p means nothing to me. Let's hear about the sensor resolution, not how big photos it can shoot. Nothing there says it's automatically better than a 3-4 MP camera. If the photos are soft in 5 MP, it's just a waste of space.

Agreed. 3PM is ideal for me, though I’m OK with the current 5MP since the iPhone 4 camera’s optics do deliver good results. But let’s not climb towards 8MP and beyond! More MP often means a worse image (greater noise even when scaled down later) not better. It’s a marketing number akin to the old GHz. Reading a number in a bullet list is fun... but not fun enough to make my photo library 40% bigger, slower, and more expensive! I care about image quality more than bullet points.

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey

That is so right, sensor resolution is more important than MP.

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
Agreed. 3PM is ideal for me, though I’m OK with the current 5MP since the iPhone 4 camera’s optics do deliver good results. But let’s not climb towards 8MP and beyond! More MP often means a worse image (greater noise even when scaled down later) not better. It’s a marketing number akin to the old GHz. Reading a number in a bullet list is fun... but not fun enough to make my photo library 40% bigger, slower, and more expensive! I care about image quality more than bullet points.

Amen and amen. I think apple got it right with the iPhone 4's camera, and 720p video is perfect for a phone.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Keep 5MP increase quality

I dont think people want to replace their DSLR with iPhone or even need photo more than 5MP. BUT increasing the quality of the image sensor is really needed. iPhone 4 gives good picture. lets expect iphone 5 takes even better quality, less noise, more sensitive to low light.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
1.) I was under the impression that the camera cost was quite small compared to that of the screen.

2.) Apple has a pretty large profit margin, they can afford to stick in better parts without worrying that much about cost.

Let me amend that statement so it's more realistic:

They have so much money, they should give the iphones away for FREE!:rolleyes:

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Yes, I want to be carrying around an entire desktop computer because power shouldn't be sacrificed! :rolleyes::D

Once you get into the 10 mm pocketable range, a millimeter here or there makes less and less of a difference. The human hand and the size of our trouser pockets are the constants.

I'd rather have a bigger battery, better camera, and/or sturdier frame than shave down from 9mm to 7 mm.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009

5MP and 1080p IS the resolution. 5MP = 5 million pixels. It is also how big photos it can shoot. It's the same thing. It doesn't mean it will make better pictures, of course, though. Quality depends exclusively on signal-to-noise ratio, dynamic range, and the lens.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Softness has a lot to do with optics.

Interestingly if this sensor is thinner that would allow for more complex optics. Unfortunately I think they have terms mixed up as it looks like they are talking about the entire camera, not just the sensor. I do hate the quality of the reporting on this forum.

Sometimes just quoting a press release is a better idea. In any event I knida wish that Apple could manage a camera with 2X zoom in the next iPhone. Zoom is a far more useful feature than ultra high resolution.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
Did making the iPad2 thiner handcuff "power"?
Nope, it doubled the "power" and is the fastest tablet on the market.

Thinness and power are not ALWAYS mutually exclusive but they often do detract from each other. Your'e right, the iPad 2 is quite fast. But the iPad 2 also has a terrible camera. Apple made tradeoff because camera quality is not exactly the #1 feature of a tablet, but the end result is the same.

I own an iPhone 4 and it is plenty thin. There are 10 things I'd rather have (better camera, durability, longer battery, etc.) before shaving another mm or 2 off the thickness.

We dont want thinner! STOP THE OBESSION WITH THIN.

Especially when it handcuffs power.

Power isnt my primary concern...its battery life. Battery tech isnt keeping up with component manu processes.

But hey, I aint one to scoff at an iPhone 5 with an A5, 1 GB RAM, 32GB Base Storage, and TB...with the same battery life as the iP4.

I totally agree with what you're sayin' though...the obsession with thin causes more harm than good. Ive never said to myself, "Dammit, if only my phone were 8.1mm rather than 9.3mm...then my life would be easier"

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland

I was going to post the same thing. Thank you.

the iPad 2 is quite fast. But the iPad 2 also has a terrible camera.

Agreed. Thats the only issue I have with my iPad2.

IMHO, it wasn't incapability that forced Apple's hands in giving it such ***** cameras...rather laziness and perceived acceptability ("folks wont know the difference" attitude).

Sorry, but I'm tired of my "magical" FaceTime calls looking like Monet Paintings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.