Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LocoStrange

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
I heard some models actually have a count down of days before they self destruct. That number has been rumored to be EXACTLY 730 days starting with the exact second you turn it on in your house.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I still have my original 1.42GHz G4 Mac mini from 2005. The original hard drive died, which has been replaced and the optical drive is a bit funky at times.

pac

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
If your experience with the Mini is similar to mine, it will 'last' several months - until you realise it's rubbish and sell it on eBay.

Mind you, I didn't lose much money on it. I consider it a failed experiment that led me to the iMac.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I consider it a failed experiment that led me to the iMac.

My experience is the opposite, the iMac led me to getting a MacMini instead - dust inside the glass, high pitch noise and something dead in the backlight.

As with PacMania my original mini is still working fine and my current mini ('10 model) does everything I want it to do - plus I get a screen option that Apple currently refuses to offer.

bier-meister

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
I have a mini running for the last 3 years 24/7 as a HTPC (plex & eyetv). HD crashed once, replaced with a macbook drive that I had lying around. Couldn't be happier with it, never any issues with it.

SortKaffe

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 years? damn you guys are wasteful. I just restored an old 2006 Mini a while ago, took it apart, cleaned every little part and threw in a new 500GB Drive, 2GB ram, a CrystalHD card and a brand new 2.0Ghz Core2Duo chip. I'm expecting to get a good 3 years use out of this thing and I plan on using it until it becomes obsolete.

Why do you guys need ridiculous amounts of ram and CPU power? Most people just do schoolwork, watch movies listen to music and browse the web 9 out of 10 times on the computer. I can't see why people think this 5 year old Mini can't do that? My Acer 1810TZ subnotebook i bought last year in 2010 has less power than this thing.

josephebacon

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
I've had no problems with my 2 Minis

I have two Mac Minis, a Core Duo and Core 2 Duo. The Core Duo is 4 years old, the Core 2 is 2 years old. Have had no problems with either one. I mainly use the older one to play chess with (HIARCS, Shredder & Stockfish)and the processor goes full blast for several hours each time I play. Still plays a challenging game. And Mac Minis are easier to care for than my old G4 Power Mac, I was always opening the door on the old Power Mac and running my minivac to get the dust out of it...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
right

My experience is the opposite, the iMac led me to getting a MacMini instead - dust inside the glass, high pitch noise and something dead in the backlight.

... plus I get a screen option that Apple currently refuses to offer.

What you said. :)

I'd like my own screen option and hoping for a Mini that lasts at least 4.5 to 5 years. I'm over spending crazy amounts of money on Apple machines every 3.5 years or so.

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I still have my original 1.42GHz G4 Mac mini from 2005. The original hard drive died, which has been replaced and the optical drive is a bit funky at times.

pac

Exact same machine here. HDD still works. Recently my audio-out got 'a bit funky' but it still works. Have to fiddle the jack a bit otherwise I get a hum.

And I did put it to use: played WoW on it for about two years until the last xpac was released in november. It overheated at times (should have dusted more I suppose?) but was usually good to go very fast.

So yeah a Mac Mini can last until most people would find it obsolete. Depending on your use 'obsolete' may happen sooner or later.

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
Hello,
I have MacMini 1.1 updated to Core2Duo T7400 (2,16GHz) 2GB Ram (maxed out) ad cheap kingston 64GB SSD (No trim, no firmware update). It works with everything just fine, but sucks at playing 1080p movies (I have 24" LCD attached to mini). I wonder if changing to intel SSD x25-m G2 would stop dropping frames on HD movies ? I also use it with Eye TV software and tuner.

Take care.

P. G.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Hello,
I have MacMini 1.1 updated to Core2Duo T7400 (2,16GHz) 2GB Ram (maxed out) ad cheap kingston 64GB SSD (No trim, no firmware update). It works with everything just fine, but sucks at playing 1080p movies (I have 24" LCD attached to mini). I wonder if changing to intel SSD x25-m G2 would stop dropping frames on HD movies ? I also use it with Eye TV software and tuner.

Take care.

P. G.

What's the GPU? That is the issue probably.

Last edited:

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
It probably has Intel GMA950 integrated graphics; that's your bottleneck. Changing your SSD probably won't help in this case. Any Mac Mini with an nVidia GPU won't have this problem.

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
It is integrated Intel GMA950. I was hoping it is not graphics card. I guess its time to change the mini :( should i wait for four cores mini ? Should I buy used GF320 or GF9400m?

Last edited:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It is integrated Intel GMA950. I was hoping it is not graphics card. I guess its time to change the mini :( should i wait for four coraz mini ? I buy used GF320 or GF9400m?

I would wait for the new Mini at this point. It is definitely the Intel GMA950 card.

ralnar

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Bought an Intel 1.5 GHz Solo when it came out. Still running 24/7.
Upgraded memory to 2 GB and changed to an external FW drive as bootup with SnowLeopard, Tiger is still on the original HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.