Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaone

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
I had to turn off my SB box for the week since I'm away from home on business, so that's probably another reason it dropped. This will probably be happening more often now, unfortunately for folding (but fortunately for me because I love my job).

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Just started folding, only running it on one computer right now though. It's running on my 2.66GHz 12 core Mac Pro. Every little bit helps though, right? :)

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Just started folding, only running it on one computer right now though. It's running on my 2.66GHz 12 core Mac Pro. Every little bit helps though, right? :)
Absolutely! Did you get a passkey? You'll start reeling in the points after ten work units. Especially when bigadv returns to OS X.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Absolutely! Did you get a passkey? You'll start reeling in the points after ten work units. Especially when bigadv returns to OS X.

Wow, I just found about passkeys and bigadvs. I never realized that they were tied to your passkey until today when I was skimming some other forums and wondering why my 12 core box wasn't reeling in tons and tons of points.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Wow, I just found about passkeys and bigadvs. I never realized that they were tied to your passkey until today when I was skimming some other forums and wondering why my 12 core box wasn't reeling in tons and tons of points.

Get crankin' out those WUs with a passkey now! :D Run standard units (they are much quicker) with a passkey until you meet the 10 WU requirement for bonus points. After you start getting the bonus, run Bigadvs. Bigadvs are only on Windows for now, is your 12 core machine a PC?
What is your F@H username?

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Ordered a 3.4 iMac, not sure when it will show up with the SSD BTO... Now where are the bigadvs for OS X????????

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Anyone familiar with Ubuntu? I got it all downloaded and installed, 10.04. I also have the latest 11.04 downloaded too. Which would be better suited for SMP folding for bigadv?

This is my first time dealing with Linux and I must say I really like this OS. I think I read that 10.04 wasn't compatible with the SMP client, but that might be old news?

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
Anyone familiar with Ubuntu? I got it all downloaded and installed, 10.04. I also have the latest 11.04 downloaded too. Which would be better suited for SMP folding for bigadv?

This is my first time dealing with Linux and I must say I really like this OS. I think I read that 10.04 wasn't compatible with the SMP client, but that might be old news?

I'm not exactly familiar with Linux, but have got it running on all my folding boxes.

The 6.34 client should run fine on 10.04. (I'm using both 10.04 and 10.10 OK) I think you'll need 11.04 if you're planning on using Sandy Bridge integrated graphics.

The earlier incompatibility between folding and Ubuntu 10 was easily fixed by installing and enabling nscd host caching, but that shouldn't be necessary anymore.

Hope that helps

Rob

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Thanks Rob. Hopefully I will have time tonight to work on it and get the SMP client up. I'm trying to pick up a couple more gtx 460s :D... Then I think I'll be done for a bit ;)

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Hey guys, I don't want to hijack this thread and promote my signature but now that seti@home is about to stop, some of you with powerful machines might want to join the milkyway@home project where macrumors has a team? :D

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Heres my next project I'm working on.

7463165c.jpg

Progress as well as more pictures are found here, http://www.overclock.net/case-mods-...oductive-while-drunk-custom.html#post13558039.

Sadly my main rig is down one GTX-460 as I'm using it on this for test fitting.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Hey guys, I don't want to hijack this thread and promote my signature but now that seti@home is about to stop, some of you with powerful machines might want to join the milkyway@home project where macrumors has a team? :D

Seti isn't going anywhere. I'm about to start up again.

I used to have an 8 core Mac pro that I used but when my power bill doubled in one month from using it, I stopped and never used seti@home since.

I only have two duo core Macs now but at least it won't kill my power bill.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
it's been awhile, but i thought since it's getting colder, and we have some newer members, that this would be a good time to see what everyone is folding with.

anyone got any new systems they are folding with? new members? let us know!

rwh202

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2010
UK
anyone got any new systems they are folding with? new members? let us know!

Sorry I've been a bit quiet with my MacRumors folding lately.

At the moment I'm just running a 2600k and an i7 860 for around 55k ppd.
My other systems are still crunching, but have been hijacked by other DC projects and folding teams.

However, just this morning I got a shiny new Z68 board, 2600k and 8GB to replace an ageing C2Q in an Antec Skeleton:

P1000204.jpg
P1000184.jpg

Also fitted a pair of GT430s so might just get these helping out MacRumors as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.