Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
wow that is rather nice bonus. Any way I could get that back when I fork out 1500 a year ago for my dell laptop. That is WELL over the limit :D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Hey thats pretty sweet.

Edit: OFF TOPIC - id love to see the next 360 (720?) rolling out before too long.

I am not so sure 720 would be the best name. I am still sadden by the fact when MS named the 360 they did not just go with X^2. I think that would of been a much cooler name.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great deal!

iWinning

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Too bad Im not in the market for a new computer and already have a 360. Way better than an iPod Touch though

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It just shows how desperate Microsoft is. They're clinging to the PC era [/*LTD*]

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Yeah I'm sure MSFT shareholders are really pleased at this throwing away of profits.:rolleyes:

and Apple ones are when they throw away profits in free iPods? It more than likely not costing them that much per PC sold. I would not be surprised if the OEMs are eating a good part of it.

Plus it more than likely does not cost MS a huge amount of money per 360.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Nice deal... although, how far will it cut into margins and effectively into what little profit Entertainment Division has at Microsoft... (considering it barely breaks even)

and Apple ones are when they throw away profits in free iPods? It more than likely not costing them that much per PC sold. I would not be surprised if the OEMs are eating a good part of it.

True Apple throws away some profit. However, take into consideration Apple's margins vs Microsoft's margins. Microsoft will obviously loose more money than Apple.

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Most PC's priced 699 or higher have descent margins.

I know I was about to buy a $600 pc... Looks like I'll upgrade it to the $900 gaming PC and get a 2nd Xbox thrown in for free :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Yes but Apple is still getting a PC sold and the associated profits. What does Microsoft get? $20 for a Windows license and the market gets flooded with cheap xBoxes for sale.

iWinning

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
Yes but Apple is still getting a PC sold and the associated profits. What does Microsoft get? $20 for a Windows license and the market gets flooded with cheap xBoxes for sale.

Game sales

Typed on a Tiny Keyboard

iWinning

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
I bet a lot of the xBox get sold costing Microsoft 2 xBox sales per unit.

I dont understand what you are saying.

but game sales+XBOX Live gold+getting them into Microsoft ecosystem+advertising for XBOX (People see more XBOX's and if friends dont have one they get what their friends have)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I dont understand what you are saying.

but game sales+XBOX Live gold+getting them into Microsoft ecosystem+advertising for XBOX (People see more XBOX's and if friends dont have one they get what their friends have)

Many will resell the free xBox they get thereby costing Microsoft 2 sales per unit. The free xBox and the lost sale due to the unit being resold.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Plus $60/year of XBL (or whatever it is now), game sales, and hardware - have you seen the price of the HDD's - will more than make up for any lost profit.

iWinning

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
No, it's hardly sarcasm.

Students don't need additional motivations for wasting time in college. A free XBox is the equivalent of saying "don't study, play Halo instead!"

It's what weeds out the losers and keeps our degree system in check.
Microsoft: "Sorry for giving away something people want to actually use. Here's a ****** iPod Touch. Enjoy!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.