Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Monday I had my final test in my Pascal class and got an over all C grade in the class which I am happy with. I am very happy with the help I got here from you folks and that I took the class. I would have gotten a better grade but I lost my book 5 weeks ago and the replacement book was the wrong one so it took a few weeks to get it back. By that time I was kind of lost in the Multi Dimensional Arrays and Records (Data Structures). I still think I could have learned more from that class but I am happy.

I signed up for the Java class for the fall season to get an introduction to object oriented programming. But this summer I want to start with Objective-C and I was thinking one of these 2 books

1. Learn Objective-C on the Mac
or
2. Cocoa Programming for the Mac (Hillegass)

I read Learn C on the Mac end of last year so it is a natural step to the second book. But I also want to get some Cocoa under my belt.

Which is best do you think?

Thanks again for all your help!

-Lars

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Monday I had my final test in my Pascal class and got an over all C grade in the class which I am happy with. I am very happy with the help I got here from you folks and that I took the class. I would have gotten a better grade but I lost my book 5 weeks ago and the replacement book was the wrong one so it took a few weeks to get it back. By that time I was kind of lost in the Multi Dimensional Arrays and Records (Data Structures). I still think I could have learned more from that class but I am happy.

I signed up for the Java class for the fall season to get an introduction to object oriented programming. But this summer I want to start with Objective-C and I was thinking one of these 2 books

1. Learn Objective-C on the Mac
or
2. Cocoa Programming for the Mac (Hillegass)

I read Learn C on the Mac end of last year so it is a natural step to the second book. But I also want to get some Cocoa under my belt.

Which is best do you think?

Thanks again for all your help!

-Lars

Start with Objective-C first. Learn Objective-C on the Mac is decent but I like Steve Kochans book better. Cocoa Programming is a hard book, as is any Big Nerd Ranch book (although excellent). You will want to get good at Objective-C before you touch Cocoa.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Start with Objective-C first. Learn Objective-C on the Mac is decent but I like Steve Kochans book better. Cocoa Programming is a hard book, as is any Big Nerd Ranch book (although excellent). You will want to get good at Objective-C before you touch Cocoa.

I agree with chrono1081, even though you tried Kochan before, it may make more sense to you now why he approaches things in the way he does.

I haven't been through the whole book, but from what I have seen "Learn Obective C 2.0 on the Mac" presents much less material in a more superficial way than Kochan. You could certainly try that and then come back to Kochan after "Learn Obj. C."

I would only recommend Hillegass once you can master the first part of Kochan.

B

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I am somewhat distressed to hear the Pascal is still taught, much less in existence.

Hopefully things are better now, but Pascal managed to give me something like 10,000 warnings/errors on a single typo in a 20-line program. A very harsh mistress indeed with few redeeming qualities.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
One of the things I liked about the Learn C on the Mac was it was straight forward and fun to read. I years ago I try to start with Kochan book and I found it long, wordy and really dry. When I got to Self and Pointer's I put the book down.

The Pascal class was great. Instead of learning at my own pace it gave me structure and pushed me every week. I am surprised that it is so obsolete and frowned upon. Turbo Pascal is an object oriented language and it seemed to very close to C with different syntax. I remember reading about Functions in C but Pascal had Functions and Procedures you could use. Data Structures, MD arrays. If someone could tell me the big difference from C to Pascal that would be great.

You guys talked me into it. I will start with the Learn Objective-C on Mac book. Like Balamw said, things might make more sence to me now after reading the C book and taking the Pascal class. Plus, if I get lost I got you guys!!!

-Lars

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
There's also Learn Cocoa on the Mac (2nd ed) if you like this series. You might want to consider it before Hillegass and/or Kochan.

Note that Learn Objective-C on the Mac only covers Objective-C 1.0. You'll miss out on learning about garbage collection, properties and fast enumeration, which were all introduced in Objective-C 2.0 with Mac OS X 10.5. But you'll pick those up pretty quickly, I think.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I did not now that it only covered OB-C 1.0, thanks. I started the book last night but maybe I will look around. I know that I do not want the Kochan book.The beautiful thing about the Apress Learn C book was it was short and to the point. This made it easier to learn in less time since I also work a 9 to 5 job.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-Lars

dasein

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007

Kochan's current edition is getting out of sync with upgrades in the SDK. He's got a newer third edition due out around June or July.. same name I think. It is a good text and he has a website/forum as well.

certsoft

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
John Day, OR
Hopefully things are better now, but Pascal managed to give me something like 10,000 warnings/errors on a single typo in a 20-line program. A very harsh mistress indeed with few redeeming qualities.

That's a function of the compiler, not the language. Pascal and C provide the same utility, C is just Pascal's retarded cousin.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
... C is just Pascal's retarded cousin.
I think you are confusing Developmental Disability with Asperger Syndrome. Autistic people may be a challenge to train, but once you do, they are usually far better at a specific task than normies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.