Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aihna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2011
I have a CD of PDF files, is there a way I can convert them to ePub files?
Is there an online/tool that will allow me to do that?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
None of them are very good, though. PDF to ePub usually results in awfulness.

Yup. PDF is a really awful format. It's main purpose is to replicate the printed page exactly. So among other things, it has page numbers. And fixed line length. So let's say we have a paragraph in PDF like this, with a page break in the middle of the paragraph. So in PDF it looks something like:

There was never a more amazed
little boy than Cedric during
the week that followed; there
was never so strange or so

-23-

unreal a week. In the first place,
the story his mamma told him was
a very curious one. He was obliged
to hear it two or three times
before he could understand it.

Convert this to epub, and you get:

There was never a more amazedlittle boy than Cedric duringthe week that followed; therewas never so strange or so-23-unreal a week. In the first place,the story his mamma told him wasa very curious one. He was obligedto hear it two or three timesbefore he could understand it.

:mad:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Let me take a step back and ask: What is it you need to do with the documents that are in PDF format?

My point is to suggest starting from your end goal and determining if conversion is actually required, or if there's a way to satisfy the goal with the PDFs as they stand. Perhaps you've already done that, but if not there are a variety of tools to work with PDF's allowing annotation, bookmarking, and highlighting.

For example, in my grad school program I have to read a lot of documents in PDF format. I use PDF Expert to highlight/annotate these files quite effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.