Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Multiple news outlets are reporting that an explosion has occurred at Foxconn's new manufacturing facilities in Chengdu, China, a plant that opened last year in large part to support increased iPad production. M.I.C gadget has more information and several video clips, and while the extent of the damage remains unclear, reports have indicated that at least ten fire engines and ten ambulances are on the scene.
At around 19:00 in China, Foxconn Chengdu manufacture plant got an explosion, we are not sure actually what cause the explosion and how many casualties had resulted. At the scene, there are currently more than 10 fire engines, ambulances and 10 police cars had arrived on the scene.
According to the report, the explosion occurred in building A5, which is said to house iPad 2 production.

While the potential human toll is obviously the primary concern at this time, it is also unclear just how much of an effect the incident may have on Foxconn's iPad production capabilities. Apple has been struggling to keep up with demand for the new tablet device, seeking to improve component yields and production output to address stock shortages and lengthy shipping estimates.

Update: According to The Wall Street Journal, at least two people have unfortunately been killed in the explosion. At least sixteen others have been injured, with three of those in serious condition.

Article Link: Explosion Reported at Foxconn's iPad Production Plant in Chengdu, China [Updated]

Last edited by a moderator:

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
It looks awful. I hope everyone's okay.

Are any kind of volatile materials are used in iPad production?

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
But seriously; take some time to think about the risk people go through just to make your Apple Magic (or any tech) happen. What the industry needs is a Fair Trade standard! :D

Optimus Frag

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
North Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Who cares about a delay in production??!! Hope everyone is alright.

Philoman

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2003
I must say, that is one of the worst videos I've seen. There has to be a better source than this considering all the spectators.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It is obviously unclear at this point just how much of an effect the incident may have on Foxconn's iPad production capabilities.

Seriously????

How about "it is obviously unclear at this point HOW MANY PEOPLE MIGHT HAVE BEEN MAIMED OR KILLED and our hearts go out to them and their families"

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Joining everyone before in wishing people working there will all be fine.
That Foxconn company really seems to be complacent when OHSE and corporate responsibility are concerned.

orz

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
My thoughts go out to the workers and their families.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
A CCTV reporter who is at the scene now said, a witness told the reporter that the explosion happened at 19:10. And, doctor said he had already received 6-7 people injured, and more injuries are coming. The reporter was told to stay away from the building, because there might be a second explosion.

According to Ji Qing Ling’s weibo said,
“the explosion occurred in the A05, at 7 pm, the explosion caused many materials casted out from the building, and there are at least hundreds or more of workers inside the building. The whole building did not collapse yet, I do not know what is going on inside. Now there are more than 10 fire engines, 10 ambulances, many police cars.”
In addition, Sina Tech had made a call to Foxconn’s spokesperson, however his phone is on, but no one is answering. Please stay tuned on us for the latest news.

The explosion is happened in A5 building (A05), and we heard that building is also the production line of iPad 2! 2nd, 3rd and 4th floor are affected as well. The explosion is likely to cause by super-light dust.

Source

Serious situation for the people in the plant. Much prayers are needed.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
This is terrible. I've got an iPad 2 yesterday and it came defective. I'm currently waiting for a replacement. If I do get the replacement I'll be haunted by the idea that the iPad was put together by people who died in this accident (assuming that there were fatal victims). Heck, I might just try to get a refund it that's the case...

Pro31

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
This is terrible. I've got an iPad 2 yesterday and it came defective. I'm currently waiting for a replacement. If I do get the replacement I'll be haunted by the idea that the iPad was put together by people who died in this accident (assuming that there were fatal victims). Heck, I might just try to get a refund it that's the case...

If it haunts you I will take it.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA

The scene is very chaos. All we can hear is the noise of people shouting, fire engines, ambulances and police cars. The video just uploaded for one hour.

At 21:00, there are 6 men and 1 woman were sent to the Sichuan Provincial People’s Hospital. Those seven people are young adults, including two of them are seriously injured, two of them are slightly injured and the other three were minor.

Allegedly, the explosion was occurred while the workers’ transition.

At the moment, there are more people injured and even killed. Two people were killed and 16 injured, 3 seriously injured. After the Chinese police initial investigation of the explosion, they suggested the cause ruled out human factors.

Source

dreamworks21

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Seriously????

How about "it is obviously unclear at this point HOW MANY PEOPLE MIGHT HAVE BEEN MAIMED OR KILLED and our hearts go out to them and their families"

I thought this at first, but then I remembered this is MacRumors, and this story was posted as it pertains to Apple, so all angles are considered - not just harm to people, but harm to production. It might seem heartless, but it is the point of the site.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
The explosion is likely to cause by super-light dust.

Like a flour mill explosion perhaps? I am curious about what they use to create such an explosion: you'd think manufacturing such a product wouldn't have explosives, just flammables. That's horrible.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
If it haunts you I will take it.

I'd sell it to you at a higher price and donate the money to the victims dude.

Without hypocrisy here. We all know that work conditions in China factories aren't the greatest, and we buy their gadgets anyway. But when people get killed or permanently disabled it's a totally different level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.