Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z.zdtrouble.d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Hi guys and girls,

I am new here and wanted to pose a quick question. I hope I have put this in the right place.

I have a 15" mid 2010 MBP and I move from home to office a lot. When in the office I like to use my external monitor, mouse keyboard etc. However I am sick of having to unplug all the cables every time.

Does anyone know of a docking station for this model of macbook pro?

I await your reply.

skybolt.bolt

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Possible option

Hi Z,

I am new here to so hope to be of some help. I know of a couple of docking stations around at the moment and have owned a couple from different manufacturers.

The latest one I know of is the Byte-dock. Which I think is coming later this year.

The other I have used are hengedocks and bookendz.

Hope this helps

Sky

shreddertop

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Docking your macbook

Z,

I have checked out most of these apart from the Byte-dock as it is not out yet. Here is my 2 cents to try and help yo out.

Henge - Got this for my 13" MacBook Pro Looks good and priced good but do not be fooled by the price. Once you get it and then pay for the video output converter and the other cables you need for audio output etc it came to about $200 inc delivery.

Bookendz - Well expensive at circa $300. However it is made pretty solid but the price for me just killed it. Plus it's foot print on my desk was far to big.

Having looked at the Byte-dock website seems like they are on to something closer to a docking station as we know it but cannot say until it comes out.

Cheers

ShredderTop

gman6514

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Stay clear of hengedock

Z,

I have a 13" Macbook Pro also. I got a hengedock and found the following:

Setup was a nightmare and took me about 2 hours

Cost on the website is not what you pay it. It ended up costing me about $200 by the time I took into account the time I spent building it.

The screws are a nightmare. I think they have changed this now though.

Then to top it off the plastic snapped after about 3 months in the bottom where the macbook sits.

IMO I would stay away from them. I have gone back to just plugging stuff in but I did notice from Sky's post the Byte-dock I might have a look at that.

Done

Gman

dmarch

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Big Sky, MT
I've been using this setup for a couple of years now. Three seconds to disconnect and less than ten to connect. Also takes up hardly any desk space.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 835

z.zdtrouble.d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
dmarch,

Thanks for that pic what are you using to stand you MacBook on? While I like the way you have things I just want to have a nice single point where I can go drop my MacBook and know everything is connected without have to fiddle around with cables. I do wonder why Apple never made anything for this.

z.zdtrouble.d

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Thanks dmarch,

Don't suppose they have some sort of dock do they?

At the moment I am swaying towards the Byte-dock but as it si not out I do not know if I can wait.

iPostpone

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
My experience with the Henge dock does not match the others posted here. I bought the first generation model for a 2010 13" Macbook Pro, which I understand has been improved upon since. It only took about 30 minutes to setup, and has worked flawlessly ever since (almost a year). I love the space-saving vertical profile, and it's very easy to insert and remove the laptop.

The only extra you really need to buy with the Henge dock is another MagSafe power adapter, unless you don't need the one that came with your laptop for travel purposes. If you need other cables to attach your peripherals, you would have needed them even if you don't use a Henge dock, so I wouldn't say that this cost is additive to the Henge dock.

iPostpone

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
I took a quick look at the Byte-dock website. The design is similar to the Henge Dock (vertical), but the port connectors are built-in (saves setup time, and may be a bit sturdier). However, I hate the black color, the chunky look, and mostly, the fact that the ports come out both ends of the dock, with the USB and audio ports on one end and everything else on the other. This means that no matter how you position the dock, there will be visible cables running across your desk or table. Doesn't make for a clean looking installation. With the Henge Dock, all of the cables are completely hidden.

Also, they say it will cost 150 brittish pounds, or $250 in USD. No thanks.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
Interesting that Apple isn't weighing in on this front. Seems ripe for revenue to me.

Most of the solutions I have seen look ... well, let's just say I haven't seen anything that is really impressive.

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
Interesting that Apple isn't weighing in on this front. Seems ripe for revenue to me.

They have; the 27" ACD has power, USB, built-in audio (via USB), a camera, and a 3-port USB hub. Basically you hook up those three bundled cables (mini displayport, USB and Mag-Safe) and you are done.

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
They have; the 27" ACD has power, USB, built-in audio (via USB), a camera, and a 3-port USB hub. Basically you hook up those three bundled cables (mini displayport, USB and Mag-Safe) and you are done.

Well, you got me there. Seems elegant enough for most folks.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007

Steve would rather give up revenue than chuck a docking port on the bottom .

I think we may see some decent solutions pop up with thunderbolt. It has the technical capability.

gman6514

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Z,

I have a 13" Macbook Pro also. I got a hengedock and found the following:

Setup was a nightmare and took me about 2 hours

Cost on the website is not what you pay it. It ended up costing me about $200 by the time I took into account the time I spent building it.

The screws are a nightmare. I think they have changed this now though.

Then to top it off the plastic snapped after about 3 months in the bottom where the macbook sits.

IMO I would stay away from them. I have gone back to just plugging stuff in but I did notice from Sky's post the Byte-dock I might have a look at that.

Done

Gman

Just a quick update from my last comment on this post. Since I posted it I have actually been able to see a Byte-dock in the flesh and found the device to be pretty good. Allbeit a little outside the Apple design the device functions really well during the 20 mins or so I have to play around with it. So much so I have stuck my name down for a pre order.

With ports front and back it suits my setup perfectly as if I want to plug in my usb key I can easily. Something I could not do with the Hengedock (without a hub). Audio on the front make is perfect for setting up my external sound card on there as well. Just a little update in case anyone was interested.

Cheers

G

psuser

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
i wanna get a dock station too but worry about close the macbook will increase the heat

Heavertron

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2011
UK
I am waiting for the new ACD. Hopefully it will act as a dock connecting all devices via thunderbolt. That would be an elegant solution.

For now I have a bookarc dock. I hate the dance you have to do to power on/off the laptop, very annoying. Also, my machine (MBP 17" 2011) runs hotter in clamshell mode, even with the exhaust port orientated upwards. I think I will make space to run it open and lose the bookarc to be honest.

Last edited:

Graemeruk

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
New Dock for MacBook Pro

You should try the brand new KwikDock.. manages all your cables and there's an integrated iPhone , iPad, iPod dock and you can use your MacBook Pro open or closed . AND ITS PORTABLE http://www.kwikdock.com

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
I am waiting for the new ACD. Hopefully it will act as a dock connecting all devices via thunderbolt. That would be an elegant solution.

For now I have a bookarc dock. I hate the dance you have to do to power on/off the laptop, very annoying. Also, my machine (MBP 17" 2011) runs hotter in clamshell mode, even with the exhaust port orientated upwards. I think I will make space to run it open and lose the bookarc to be honest.

The ATD + BookArc does everything we need.

Works even better if you get a Hifiman HM101 USB DAC and plug that in to the back of the ATD, and then plug your speaker system into that. Sounds WAY better and the laptop will remember to switch the soundcard everytime you plug the ATD in via Thunderbolt.

Still have to do the dance to power on and off, but who does that these days anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.