Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scozzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
So. Cal
Having moved several thousand photos from my old p.c. to my iMac (10.6) I find MANY photos visible as thumbnails but when I try to bring them to full screen or to print them I get a full screen (grey) exclamation mark. The photo in question is 173K so should be large enough to show full screen. Please explain the exclamation mark and tell me how to access the photo so that I can print it/edit it.
scozzer
So.Calt

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-21 at 11.06.09 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-21 at 11.06.09 AM.png
    445.6 KB · Views: 741

dj-anon

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Try on the menu bar "Photos > Revert to Original."
You can also try rebuilding the library by pressing and holding "command + option" while you open iPhoto.

scozzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
So. Cal
Thanks for the response DJ,
While the 'Command/Option/Boot iPhoto' did make some significant changes in the photos I can now see, the photo that I particularly wanted still converts to an exclamation mark when I bring to full screen.
"Revert to original" is greyed out both in the thumbnail and full photo.
Scozz

dj-anon

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
In iPhoto select the problematic picture, then on the menu bar go to "File > Export...", on kind select "Original", send it to the desktop, and trash the corrupted pic within iPhoto, then drag the copy on the desktop to the iPhoto window.

scozzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
So. Cal
Thanks for your attention and patience, DJ.

Your suggestion to export to desktop results in pop-up that says:

Unable to create : User/m****/desktop/**
This issue is annoying but so much so that you should spend anymore time on it. I did find that some of the exclamation mark photos can be emailed and the picture there is bigger. I suppose I could take a screen shot of the one I want and enlarge the email.
What does the Exclamation Mark icon mean ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.