Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
very smart

I hope this eventually knocks some sense into Apple and that whole $1.29 per popular song bit at iTunes is. It won't but...I can hope right? ;)

That's a great deal for Gaga fans. I respect her (bought the Judas video) but am not enough of a fan to jump. And I agree about mp3s. Way too compressed to even want to make the jump.

As for this cloud stuff, not interested right now. The one thing I'd like to change at iTunes is function the App store has. Being able to download and/or install the app you purchase on all the machines you own. That would be nice to do with the songs/movies/etc.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Ah-mar-rarara-ah
Ammar-doo-laa-laa
Ah-Ma-Za-za-za-ah
Amazon Hits iTunes Again

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

adrian.oconnor said:
Nice marketing move. This is how to grow a new service and win some loyal fans. Wonder what it's costing them?

Plenty. Once Apple inks the streaming deal with Universal it's over for the non Apple Eco System.

This type of gimmick is unsustainable for more than 6 more months tops.

Apple has too many revenu streams. It's the Ivy growing up your tree. Can't kill it without killing yourself.

Too little too late. "The Assimimilation Continues"

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Pretty sure he's basing it on Apple fanboy ignorance. Just my two cents. Nothing to be scared of. Cloud storage is cloud storage. Believe it or not, some people hate apple and wouldn't use the service whether it was free or not. Sometimes I hate coming here and reading all the ignorant drivel.

Then why come to an Apple site that is full of us Fanboys? BTW... we're far from ignorant. Obviously, you love having your anti-Apple blinders on.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Isn't selling products below cost in an attempt to gain market share an anti-trust situation?

canadan

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
So they pretty much have to nearly give the music away for free to draw people to buying on amazon then? The record companies are gonna make a fortune selling an album for 99 cents? Hmmm

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
don't even know why people buy music on iTunes anymore... Amazon has been the way to go ever since apple decided that "top" tracks are worth $1.29....

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No one should be excited/looking forward to/wishing for Apple to become a media monopoly.

No one.

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain
She writes all of her own songs. She sings live every time. She's a classically trained pianist and dancer. She endlessly tours, appears, and promotes her songs and brand. She plays instruments on stage. It's pretty safe to say that, regardless of if you buy the albums or listen to it on the radio, she's about 1000x the musician that most "artists" out there are. Who exactly do YOU listen to that you call a "musician?" :cool: That's why she made $90m last year and has fans lining up to get a photo with her (which she spend hours accommodating for people), and why you're here acting like YOU are too good for HER. Just sayin'.

All very fascinating, but it doesn't change the fact that her music is, at best, watered down third rate late 90s soft pop-trance. Truly dreadful.

sbrhwkp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
Lake George, NY
I'm not a fan of her music either, but really it's not fundamentally any worse than most other modern popular music.

It's worse because it's got an act to go along with it.

I don't like any modern popular music. It's all machine processed garbage.

The real musicianship lies outside of the top 100 billboards.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Geez people, Amazon is only doing the $.99 gaga album just for today. No need to spin this into some major anti-itunes campaign.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
No one should be excited/looking forward to/wishing for Apple to become a media monopoly.

No one.
agreed, can't believe iTunes is the number one music retailer...

I guess its still too much for the general public to buy music from other places (amazon) and import them to iTunes, so they buy from iTunes for the convenience?

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
All very fascinating, but it doesn't change the fact that her music is, at best, watered down third rate late 90s soft pop-trance. Truly dreadful.

She's not really my 'cup of tea' but there's no denying the Lady can shift music - and all this promotion means is that she'll shift shed-loads more.

As far as us mere consumers are concerned, this move by Amazon means everyone wins ;)

RTP.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
That image just made my day!

Lady Gag vs Biker gang: Biker gang wins! Chop head off, mount on handlebars & fork as decoration. Hooray!

She may technically be a musician by definition, but like most pop "artists", after the obligatory 20-year rolling nostalgia wave, no one will refer to her and her work as "classics by the musician lady gaga", as they would anyone deserving of the title "musician". Same goes for 99.999% of the DJ's in the world.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
This is a great deal on a great album.

As for the haters: I'd rather listen to this than that bland hipster bs that the internet armchair haters like. :rolleyes:

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
I am not understanding the strategy behind such a feature in the cloud storage where you can stream tonnes of data, but ultimately, you end up stopping at 500MB/month. :(

What am I gonna do with 20GB storage of music in the cloud when I can only stream 500MB of it?

It's better I transfer 5-6 of music to my phone and then keep it on a regular sync and so on... :|.

If there needs to be a revolution in cloud storage, there's gotta be two things.

1. Unlimited Data
2. Revolutionary Cloud Capabilities.

I don't know who would do that, but I just fail to understand how people are going to benefit from something like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.