Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mygoldens

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2005
I envision the day when the iPad will be used for everything. Can you imagine how speedy the checkout lines will be at WalMart on Saturday afternoon with iPads instead of cash registers?

Are you for real? iPad for everything:eek:

That is like we all drive the same car, live in the same type house, you ever heard of 1984?

The iPad has its merits, but it has reached its peak!

Let's move on, lot of Android tabs hitting the market, they blow away the iPad just with their stock FREE apps!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Credit card don't require PINs; you're thinking of debit cards. Credit cards in the US require a signature - the same is true with Square. Square is a VISA-backed financial business; let's give them the benefit of assuming they've actually thought through any scenario you think up in 5 minutes :)
Probably meant security code: 3 digits on the back of the card.

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
Until they get the full backing of one of the big three credit cards, there will be many people to include myself skeptical of this. My 2cents

Bwilky

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Why on earth do you think that?

I don't see how an iPad can replace an EPOS used by a company like WalMart.

Does the iPad weigh fruit?
Does the iPad scan barcodes?
Does the iPad have a cash drawer?
Is it Linked to a Conveyor Belt?

There isn't any convenience or benefit in using a tiny, portable device at a station where you're being served by someone who is sitting or standing in the exact same place.

The market Square is targeting is very different.

That's exactly what I was going to say. An Ipad is only good for table service where you could use it for input. But even the iPad is a little to big for that. You'd have to connect it to a computer to host the Cash drawer receipt printer etc etc. It's just not logical even for a small business. How are they supposed to print their receipts, use barcode scanner and cash drawer. Plus, in a few years their making it a requirement that all merchants are going to need to use chip enabled devices. It wouldn't work on an ipad

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: paperless receipts

My local Micro Center store offers the option of receiving a receipt via email instead of a paper one, or even both, if you so choose. (I know that's not exactly the same as Target or Walmart doing it, but just pointing out that someone besides just Apple is implementing it.)

This could be very neat. I'd been hoping that somebody (Walmart, Target) would move towards paperless receipts the way Apple Retail has. Maybe it'll be the smaller retailers leading the eco charge in this space, though.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am confused as to how one obtains Card Case functionality/app. According to the website:
Getting your Card Case is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Visit a participating business.
Pay by swiping your credit card.
2. Get a text message receipt.
It contains a link to set up your tab.
3. Download the Square app.
Your Card Case will be waiting for you.
So it's my understanding that Card Case is a separate app that can only be downloaded through a text message? The app does not show up on a search from the app store.

I find the process rather clumsy since the app has a directory functionality to help you find Square merchants.

jbenjamin

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Apple's 30%

2.75% fee seems unrealistic in Apple's world. I wonder how they get around Apple's 30% cut.

I am not a lawyer but Apple's legalese as I read it casts a very wide net around in-app purchases, subscriptions, and virtual currencies without any exceptions for third-party payments. If the item being purchased is recurring or funding a declining balance account for the Square client then it would fall under Apple's definition of a subscription or virtual currency.

And, if Square has a loophole then Rhapsody and others should just have a pay-with-Square button in their apps.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
That's exactly what I was going to say. An Ipad is only good for table service where you could use it for input. But even the iPad is a little to big for that. You'd have to connect it to a computer to host the Cash drawer receipt printer etc etc. It's just not logical even for a small business. How are they supposed to print their receipts, use barcode scanner and cash drawer. Plus, in a few years their making it a requirement that all merchants are going to need to use chip enabled devices. It wouldn't work on an ipad
An iPad could be used connected by wire to something in case of a static storefront, or wireless. Just depends on software. But this is specifically talking about diverging from paper receipts as the intent, so I'm not sure why that's an issue to you.

Many businesses do not use barcodes. Restaurants are an example. Hell, fast food joints now mostly have register systems that are touchscreen. The interface wouldn't be much different in an iPad. And for someone small, a POS system including a $500 iPad could be much cheaper than other hardware.

Square provides the magnetic cc scanning in separate hardware, they could provide NFC or whatever, also.

I am confused as to how one obtains Card Case functionality/app. According to the website:

So it's my understanding that Card Case is a separate app that can only be downloaded through a text message? The app does not show up on a search from the app store.
Maybe the app isn't out yet? I think the text message was just a thought about a specific business setting up a specific customer's account.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
2.75% fee seems unrealistic in Apple's world. I wonder how they get around Apple's 30% cut.

I am not a lawyer but Apple's legalese as I read it casts a very wide net around in-app purchases, subscriptions, and virtual currencies without any exceptions for third-party payments.
Sorry, nevermind. Not thinking this through.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Maybe the app isn't out yet? I think the text message was just a thought about a specific business setting up a specific customer's account.

That would be my guess, but if that is the case, CEO shouldn't tweet about "get yours today!"

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Having worked with various retail POS systems from IBM et al I hope this finally allows a departure from the draconian interfaces which look as if design and operator usability were not allowed to be discussed in the development phase.

Let's hope that Apple comes out with an iPad that can do all the retail functions needed... Credit Card scan as well as UPC scan....

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
im still waiting for them to release the credit card payment system in the UK.

Would be of great benefit to me.

Baumi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Users can initiate a payment by activating the business's Square Card on their phone when within range of the business and then simply giving their name at the register to have the purchase charged to their account.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but that sounds much more inconvenient than simply handing over cash or credit card. And since it still involves a 3rd party having control over my payment data, I'm not sure if it's any more secure than CC usage, either.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Heh. This thread has unintentionally revealed how ass-backwards U.S. credit card security is compared to Europe.

Hahah, a hundred times this. Funny seeing the confusion.

In the UK, we use a chip and PIN system. The card has a chip in it and we enter a 4 digit PIN code into the POS device to make the transaction.

It's been widespread for a few years now, my local pub was one of the last places to use the old style and thankfully they've recently upgraded.

There's no signature required for credit cards.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
This could be very neat. I'd been hoping that somebody (Walmart, Target) would move towards paperless receipts the way Apple Retail has. Maybe it'll be the smaller retailers leading the eco charge in this space, though.

That's not going to happen for 5-7 years at least. Don't expect NFC payment in the next 1-2 years from anything but upscale boutiques.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
Square is great for yard sales or minor artists, but the daily transfer limit to your bank is $1000. That renders it completely useless for most decent sized businesses or prominent artists. We could do an event that takes in 50k or a good artist could sell a painting that costs at least that. You'd never be able to get your money out. Not to mention the hacking problems that Square has faced with the insecure scanner. I am waiting for one of the big merchant providers to come up with something genuine for business and not holding my breath for Square.

Dr.Buzz

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
% removes motive

Having used square for one of my businesses, I will say the ONLY reason we did was convenience with initial start up and as a back up when the real point of sale system went down during our initial launch. The interface is top notch, though the tip issue does exist like someone else mentioned.

2.75% is A LOT. They are making it all sexy with these new owner features to sort through what you are selling and all, but nothing can change the fact that their rate is terribly uncompetitive at the retail level. This must be the Credit companies forcing them with this rate, once they have enough users, it will give them more bargaining power.

It was great on deliveries to be able to run credit for people at their front door on my iphone, and people were so impressed, but I felt dumb because the rate is high.

omnivector

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2003
San Francisco, CA
That's not true -- merchants do not have access to any of a customer's information, including email, phone, card details, etc. That is all kept private.

"Relationship" as in tracking what, when, and where you buy stuff so that companies can bomb you with ads on the assumption you'll buy more. (Actually not just you, but your known connections as well.)

What a great relationship... it's more like criminal stalking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.