Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
My wife dropped her iPhone (8gb 3G) and it now has a smashed display and the bottom half of the touchscreen doesn't work (you can turn it off but not unlock the screen as the sliders are at opposite ends of the display).

I am not sure quite what my options are. I know I can:

a) buy the repair kit off ebay and try to fix it myself
b) pay fixmyiphone.co.uk (who are round the corner from my work) to fix it for £85
c) buy a 2nd-hand identical 8gb iphone 3G off gumtree/ebay for £120-£150

The problem with (a) is that I can't figure out which ebay items are just the glass (digitizer?) and which are just the screen and which are both.

The problem with (a) and (b) is that I know from trying to replace the glass when she first smashed it that one of the 6 screws you need to unscrew is unusable. I probably wore the head off it by trying so hard. I am not sure if I need to unscrew those same six screws to replace the whole LCD as all the videos I have found on the subject seem identical to the videos on repairing the glass.

The further problem with a/b is that it could involve a load of outlay for a phone that turns out to be beyond redemption in the end anyways (it has been severely dropped at least twice, after all).

The problem with (c) is that the iPhone 3G's are so old and so cheap that you have to wonder how working and legit (i.e. not stolen) they are.

Any ideas? I don't usually mind buying 2nd hand but I can't really figure out which option doesn't involve an annoying degree of risk that I'll be wasting my money.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can get a new screen and digitizer for about $100 or so. It's really easy to install. Just be sure you have all necessary tools, a steady hand, and a lot of patience. You can do it.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Cheers for the encouragement. I went on ebay and figured out that the touchscreen assembly includes the six screws I couldn't unscrew. This may be helpful to know for anyone struggling with the digitizer replacement. The digitizer was £8, whereas the touchscreen digitizer assembly was £32, so it was a good deal more expensive, but it was also a lot easier.

Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.