Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
My friend bought his first mac (iMac) recently and during a screenshare to help him noticed he had Utilities folder on his desktop.

He had no idea how he accidentally got it there but wants to remove it. When I went to trash it though it came with a request for his password which made me worry that deleting this would delete his actual Utilities folder in the Go menu (and thus all the utilities on his computer).

Is this the case? If so how does he go about removing this folder from the desktop?

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Well when I saw the desktop he actually had an Applications folder, and a Utilities folder. 2 folders on the desktop.

I dragged the Applications folder to the trashcan and it dumped it straightaway, but when we emptied the trash it cleared 2.5k odd items. :S

The Applications were still there in Go>Applications. There is still a Utilities folder on desktop, and Go>Utilities exists too.

Is this clear? Not sure im explaining it very well.

EDIT: The Utilities folder on desktop has the same utilities that is in Go>Utilities.
EDIT 2: Friend just text Microsoft Office no longer appears in the Applications folder, so Im guessing by dragging the folder to the trash it has deleted his applications (iLife and other default Applications are still there though).

So how does he remove this folder from the desktop without actually removing it from his mac?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Well when I saw the desktop he actually had an Applications folder, and a Utilities folder. 2 folders on the desktop.

I dragged the Applications folder to the trashcan and it dumped it straightaway, but when we emptied the trash it cleared 2.5k odd items. :S

The Applications were still there in Go>Applications. There is still a Utilities folder on desktop, and Go>Utilities exists too.

Is this clear? Not sure im explaining it very well.

I understand what you mean, but you may not.
The Menu Bar item "Go > Applications" and "Go > Utilities" are not the locations of the Applications and Utilities folders, they are just shortcuts, thus my question, if the actual Utilities folder still resides in the Applications folder.
You can check via going to the Applications folder in Finder (either via CMD+SHIFT+A) or opening a new Finder window and selecting the Applications alias in the Sidebar (left side of Finder window) or going via Macintosh HD / Applications.
Then switch to List (CMD+2) or Column (CMD+3) View and see, if the Utilities folder is still inside the actual Applications folder and if the Utilities folder still has its usual content (compare the items in the Utilities folder found inside the Applications folder of your friend's Mac with the Utilties folder on your Mac).
You can also enable the Path Bar (Finder > Menu Bar >> View >>> Show / Hide Path Bar) to see, where you actually are on your Mac.

If the Utilities folder is still where and how it should be (Macintosh HD / Applications / Utilities), then you can delete the Utilities folder on the Desktop (via entering an admin password upon being asked to do so).

Have a look at the link I provided earlier, and maybe send it to your friend, to learn more about Mac OS X.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Cheers, will have to look at this tomorrow when my friend is back online.

I did notice he didn't have "Applications" on the left side of the window of Finder, like I have on my macbook, and you mention above. Perhaps he somehow dragged this onto the desktop?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I did notice he didn't have "Applications" on the left side of the window of Finder, like I have on my macbook, and you mention above. Perhaps he somehow dragged this onto the desktop?

That is not possible, as when you drag something out of the Sidebar, it gets removed (from 10.6.7 onwards you need to hold down the CMD key to drag something off the Sidebar). The same applies for the Dock.
The Utilities folder on the Desktop could also be an Alias* or just a copy.
That happens when one wants to apply Windows behaviour to Mac OS X, and now it causes confusion.

I recommend looking at all the basic stuff on navigating the OS and such.

In Mac OS X, what is an alias and how does it work?
Working with Aliases in Mac OS X

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Those links were a great help, thanks. Its funny ive had a mac for 3 years and really only used it sparingly so ive never moved folders (nor should I!) or gone into stuff like this. I have no idea what my friend did, but I understand now where to look to check where the actual folders should be.

Hopefully the Applications folder is where it actually should be. If the Utilities folder is not inside it, im guessing I can drag the Utilites folder he has from the desktop into the Applications folder on the hard drive and we can all stop sweating?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hopefully the Applications folder is where it actually should be. If the Utilities folder is not inside it, im guessing I can drag the Utilites folder he has from the desktop into the Applications folder on the hard drive and we can all stop sweating?

That should work, but you may be prompted to enter the admin password, which is okay.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Screenshared with my mate, found the actual app folder and utility folder was present.

Deleted the utility folder from desktop and from the sidebar (he made a folder there last night too lol) and made a new alias for applications and dragged to sidebar. The icon changed to what I recognise (sort of two rulers making an A).

Everything is all good in the land of my friends mac. Have linked him to the links u gave me, and I think he gets it too now.

Thanks for all your help, Ive learnt a lot myself ;)

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
Maybe Ive talked too soon. Got a ring from him today saying his missus saying the macs been running slow yesterday, and now just wont boot. Just goes to a blank blue screen.

He bought Applecare with his mac, ive told him to use it...

Nov 28, 2010
located

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008

Cheers but I tried some of them with him and none worked, he had Appleguy on the phone and they couldn't sort it, sounded bad to the manager who was on the phone as well (who seems to think it has something to do with the vodafone dongle he used, or the 3 dongle he used before which he had big problems with) so they've arranged for a replacement mac to be sent out and the current one picked up.

Felt bad recommending a mac to him tbh, because it was all based on my own experiences (and those of my sister who purchased one on my recommendation, with no issues) and then all this happening from day one, but his experience with Apple support has been excellent, so he actually sounded really chirpy about the whole thing on the phone. Fingers crossed the next mac will run flawlessly.

How do you get Screenshare on your iMac? how it work?

We simply added each other as buddies on iChat and did it thru there (right click buddy>ask to share his screen) you can use iChat if you have mobileme account, or get a free AIM (AOL) account name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.