Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
I've had this problem on my iPhone for a couple of days now, thought it was probably a server issue that would be resolved but it doesn't seem to be going away.

Basically, whenever I try to send mail using the Mail App I get this error message:

Cannot Send Mail. The user name or password for "SMTP: john_doe@hotmail.com@smtp.live.com" is incorrect.

I've had this phone for 7 months now and this is the first time I'm having this problem. I can receive emails perfectly fine, its just sending them that is giving me this error. I haven't changed my details at all and I know my PW and username are both correct.

Someone please help. I don't want to restore my whole phone or anything like that if its avoidable.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
I've had this problem on my iPhone for a couple of days now, thought it was probably a server issue that would be resolved but it doesn't seem to be going away.

Basically, whenever I try to send mail using the Mail App I get this error message:

Cannot Send Mail. The user name or password for "SMTP: john_doe@hotmail.com@smtp.live.com" is incorrect.

I've had this phone for 7 months now and this is the first time I'm having this problem. I can receive emails perfectly fine, its just sending them that is giving me this error. I haven't changed my details at all and I know my PW and username are both correct.

Someone please help. I don't want to restore my whole phone or anything like that if its avoidable.

Hate to state the obvious but have you tried deleting and re-adding your account? Usually solves problems for me...

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Hmm.. I feel a little foolish now, deleting and readding the account sorted the problem :p Thanks for the tip guys. One more thing though, in my mailboxes it is displaying "inbox" and "sent messages". The outbox is no longer there. Any suggestions?

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
Hmm.. I feel a little foolish now, deleting and readding the account sorted the problem :p Thanks for the tip guys. One more thing though, in my mailboxes it is displaying "inbox" and "sent messages". The outbox is no longer there. Any suggestions?

Don't feel foolish at all bud :) Now you know!

I only use exchange accounts, so I am not sure if they work the same, but under my accounts I have an option to choose which folders to push and that is how I am able to see my outbox. I think that before I used push it may have just taken a bit to show the other folders within my email?

I didn't think hotmail ( sounds like that is what you have) allowed a pop3 connection anymore. Anyway you should be using an Exchange connection to set up your email. That way you can sync all the folders.

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/08/30/hotmail-iphone/

I'm not sure if this is exactly how a live.com address is setup. It might be the same.

^^^this

I would highly suggest using exchange. I have 2 gmail accounts and my school email pushed and it works great. And contrary to popular belief my battery life does not suck because of it. I have an iPhone 4 so YMMV

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast

You should use Exchange as that will give you instant notifications of emails and also your mailbox will be synced with the server so whatever you do on the phone will also be done on the serve.

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/08/windows-live-hotmail-gets-exchange-activesync.ars

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I don't have an "outbox" in my mail, but in my understanding that's for messages that have been sent to send but are delayed somehow, so you may not see the folder until there's actually a message in there.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm not really savvy when it comes to Mail on the iPhone, I didn't actually know what exchange was. I'll change it to exchange right away! Thanks again.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
It also happens to mine once in a while, both hotmail & gmail.

I was checking the passwords and all that but simply if you power down and then back on it should fix the issue... until it happens again. It has to be a bug in iOS. I have the verizon version if your wondering.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
I just changed it to Exchange and its so much better! I can see all the mailboxes now and it knows what has already been opened on the account. Thanks so much I can't believe I didn't have it like this before.

raviqp

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2016

[doublepost=1457333082][/doublepost]I had this problem after setting two step verification on. If all of you cannot login due
password error even your pass word is correct. download this file "wlsetup-all-14.exe"
(please search for it). Install it. Then delete your Email (xxxx@hotmail.com) Then go to
this link

" https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-your-Outlook-com-account-to-Outlook-2007-
5e906a34-9d3a-4e5e-bba9-c9dbcf0bdb1d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#BKMK_AddToUnsupported "

Though this is for outlook 2007, use some logic and configure these settings according to

your Live mail.
This will end all your problems

Pemsiri Ranaweera

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
[doublepost=1457333082][/doublepost]I had this problem after setting two step verification on. If all of you cannot login due
password error even your pass word is correct. download this file "wlsetup-all-14.exe"
(please search for it). Install it. Then delete your Email (xxxx@hotmail.com) Then go to
this link

" https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Add-your-Outlook-com-account-to-Outlook-2007-
5e906a34-9d3a-4e5e-bba9-c9dbcf0bdb1d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#BKMK_AddToUnsupported "

Though this is for outlook 2007, use some logic and configure these settings according to

your Live mail.
This will end all your problems

Pemsiri Ranaweera
Why would installing and configuring something in Windows would have something to do with someone having some issues sending emails from their iPhone (someone who very well might not have a Windows computer even)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.