Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

core_location_map.jpg

Following up on testimony from Apple and Google representatives regarding mobile privacy, U.S. Senator Al Franken has sent out a letter (PDF) to Apple and Google requesting that the companies require developers to include "clear and understandable" privacy policies for apps available in their marketplaces.
At the hearing, I asked Dr. Tribble and Mr. Davidson whether Apple and Google would commit to requiring that all applications in the Apple App Store and Android App Market have clear and understandable privacy policies. I am writing today to renew this request, and ask if each of your companies would be willing to adopt this simple first step towards further protecting your users' privacy.
Franken notes that the action would not resolve privacy concerns related to mobile apps, but would be an easy and reasonable first step to ensure that customers have appropriate information about what information is being collected and how it is being used.

At a minimum, Franken requests that such privacy policies be required of location-aware applications, although he believes that all applications should be subject to the requirement.
Apple and Google have each said time and again that they are committed to protecting users' privacy. This is an easy opportunity for your companies to put that commitment into action.
Franken has been spearheading legislators' inquiries into mobile privacy since last month's high-profile disclosure of geolocation data being stored on users' devices and in backups on their computers. His initial letter to Apple kicked off congressional interest in the topic and led to the hearing earlier this month attended by Apple's Bud Tribble, Google's Alan Davidson, and several other experts and privacy advocates.

Article Link: Senator Asks Apple and Google to Require Clear Privacy Policies for Apps

shadygrove

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2010
What a joke. The politicians should force each other to write "clear and understandable" legislation that isn't 2,000 lines long the average isn't capable of comprehending. As always, hypocritical politicians getting in the way.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Al Franken (Senator Internet) is doing a commendable job of protecting consumers in the digital world. He's doing great work in terms of protecting net neutrality and keeping the internet open.

Apple and Google could save themselves a lot of future problems by agreeing on these standards early and through protecting the privacy of their consumers.

It's only going to take one good event involving a data breach or personal information breach due to lack of digital privacy/security before the public really starts demanding that something be done to protect them from malicious programmers.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Al Franken (Senator Internet) is doing a commendable job of protecting consumers in the digital world. He's doing great work in terms of protecting net neutrality and keeping the internet open.

Apple and Google could save themselves a lot of future problems by agreeing on these standards early and through protecting the privacy of their consumers.

It's only going to take one good event involving a data breach or personal information breach due to lack of digital privacy/security before the public really starts demanding that something be done to protect them from malicious programmers.

The problem is that Apple is actually right on this one when they were asked previously: It isn't enough. The issue of enforcement is one that Fraken is currently hand-waving away and ignoring. Enforcement won't catch all the situations where a developer may lie about the data transfer. How do I validate what an app sends back to the mothership through an encrypted channel, for example?

What Apple has been doing instead is allowing the user to mis-trust the developer and lock them out of the location information if the app asks for it. That is easy to enforce and puts the power in the hands of the user. Unfortunately, it doesn't help situations where an app with legitimate reasons to access the information also uses it for more nefarious purposes, but depending on how nefarious, a privacy policy requirement isn't going to stop it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm glad it's a question, not a demand, since it's a topic that deserves discussion and involves tradeoffs.

What information should be considered private? What are apps doing with our information? How should we be told about it? What control should we have?

For example, should our location data be shared with the world except where we opt-out or should it be completely protected and hidden to everyone else except where we opt-in? How should responsibility for privacy be shared among us the consumers, app developers, gadget vendors, and laws?

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
I think this is a good thing... but at the same time it doesn't seem like the most pressing issue they could be dealing with right now. I think our country has a few other things they could be working on.

There is also nothing stopping an app from putting out a privacy policy that says one thing and doing something else. Whenever I put my info online or in an app I don't expect that what I put in there is going to stay secret. If I am not comfortable having info known then I don't put it out there.

and +1 to the poster who talked about them writing there bills and legislation in plain English.

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
My Senator Franken is a joke and a hypocrite. Privacy? What about the "Patriot" Act dear Senator?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
What's next? A Federal Software Agency?

We did fine for decades without one, but I guess here it comes.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
The problem is that Apple is actually right on this one when they were asked previously: It isn't enough. The issue of enforcement is one that Fraken is currently hand-waving away and ignoring. Enforcement won't catch all the situations where a developer may lie about the data transfer. How do I validate what an app sends back to the mothership through an encrypted channel, for example?

What Apple has been doing instead is allowing the user to mis-trust the developer and lock them out of the location information if the app asks for it. That is easy to enforce and puts the power in the hands of the user. Unfortunately, it doesn't help situations where an app with legitimate reasons to access the information also uses it for more nefarious purposes, but depending on how nefarious, a privacy policy requirement isn't going to stop it.

Would you rather have Apple and Google address this situation, or the government?

All it's going to take is one major security scandal to have consumers demanding more protections in the digital world. At that point the government will fell compelled to step in.

I think it would be a good idea if Apple and Google took care of this problem themselves.

Apple, already, largely fulfills this function but there are ways around it. If everything has to go through an Apple cloud, it seems like Apple could have a pretty good handle on information flow.

Last edited:

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
The hypocrisy of my country is disgusting. We ask Apple and Google to tell users why their locations are tracked for FEATURES THEY SIGNED UP FOR, but then sign another 4 years of an unamended Patriot Act. Why are my politicians even paid to care about whether Angry Birds knows where I am? What a sad waste of tax dollars. Seriously, **** this place.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I like how a Senator can ask a company to simply be honest with their customers and it somehow sets off the MacRumors community as an unreasonable outrage.

What a place we got here, huh?

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
While I agree that clear policies are beneficial to users, this seems hypocritical. The obfuscation of policies is far worse in any government agency or legal system.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Would you rather have Apple and Google address this situation, or the government?

It's the same thing at this point. "We'll give you a chance to do what we want you to do of your own free will, but if you don't, we'll force you to do it." Doesn't sound much like it is in the spirit of free choice to me.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Google already gives CLEAR instruction on an apps function before you install anything.

Its apple that is lacking here.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Google already gives CLEAR instruction on an apps function before you install anything.

Its apple that is lacking here.

Can't we figure this out ourselves? Read reviews after the tech sites pick them apart? Use some common sense and be skeptical? Do we really need government doing this for us?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Are you kidding? Google is the king of data mining. What do they know about Android users? Who do they sell it to? Why are they SO insistant that all Android phones have Google Maps on them? Clearly they're making money from that being on your phone. How, exactly? Do they know what stores I'm visiting? I dunno, I've never seen them explain all that. Have you? Where do they list it all?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
It's the same thing at this point. "We'll give you a chance to do what we want you to do of your own free will, but if you don't, we'll force you to do it." Doesn't sound much like it is in the spirit of free choice to me.

Except when it's consumer driven because people are tired of losing information or money.

Then, due to a lack of action on issues of security/privacy, it will become regulated.

'Doing nothing' isn't a solution.

ktappe

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2003
Wilmington, DE
Privacy

If Franken is so concerned with protecting privacy, then why does he keep supporting the extension of the PATRIOT act that allows the government to invade the privacy of American citizens? Serious double-standard there. :confused:

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
What a joke. The politicians should force each other to write "clear and understandable" legislation that isn't 2,000 lines long the average isn't capable of comprehending. As always, hypocritical politicians getting in the way.

This!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It'll be easy for Apple to comply. Apple's goal is to make user happy to sell devices.

Google's goal is to sell user information to advertisers.

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
whatever

Oh goodie! Force everyone to write a policy. A policy will protect everyone - yea right.

I prefer Apple's approach to have a location services notification part of the API - so when an app wants to use location services it has to notify the user to accept the function. Simple.

Nobody is going to read a privacy policy before they click thru on the dialogue. If people want to read a mile long policy written by monkeys, the developer can optionally provide a link to such in the app's info section.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Consumer protection equals a few lines of text buried in a multi-page privacy policy that nobody reads?

If they want users 'protected' from this evil location tracking they should sound an air raid siren and pop up a few hundred confirmation dialog boxes every time an application asks for location information.

Then show video clips of kittens being eaten by hawks and some old lady without a voice box telling her story about how location tracking ruined her life.

yes... that ought to do it.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Franken notes that the action would not resolve privacy concerns related to mobile apps, but would be an easy and reasonable first step to ensure that customers have appropriate information about what information is being collected and how it is being used.

Definitely sounds reasonable to me. I don't understand why so many people here seem to be against a request for a clear, understandable contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.