Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

wwdc2011.jpg

Apple seems to be quietly inviting overseas journalists to the 2011 Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) Keynote. With only one and a half weeks until the event, Apple isn't giving that much notice to international journalists. Earlier this week, we heard that Apple's iPhone PR team was approaching British journalists to attend WWDC in San Francisco.

Now, iTechReport.com.au has spotted a tweet from Australian technology editor Charlie Brown revealing that he had been invited to San Francisco on June 6th, the first date of WWDC.

The tweet has now been removed, but Brown said that he expected something big at the event. Apple commonly invites journalists to the WWDC, though this year Apple has been particularly quiet about the details of the keynote. By this time, Apple has usually announced the time/date of the keynote as well as the host. The WWDC keynote typically takes place at 10am Pacific on the first day of WWDC. This year that would fall on June 6th. Steve Jobs is the usual keynote speaker, but due to his medical leave of absence, it seems likely that role will be filled by someone else.

In the original WWDC announcement (see above), Apple has already revealed that they will be talking about the "future" of iOS and Mac OS X. So, we expect iOS 5 and Mac OS X Lion to be the focus of the event as well as a possible music cloud service that has been heavily rumored.

Article Link: Apple Also Inviting Australian Journalists to June 6th WWDC Keynote

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Steve presented at last event despite being on medical leave of absence. So why say "it's unlikely he'll be there". I'd say, it's likely he WILL be there.

biallystock

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
I hope it's to tell the Journos that Apple will now double the price gouged from Australian MAS and iTunes customers.

We really appreciate how generous you were letting us have that old Australia-USA "Free" Trade Agreement.

Or maybe they are finally going to finally include some Australian words in the Australian dictionary!

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I think that Lion demo with a release date and the new cloud services are big enough to get a lot of journalists there. Especially the cloud services as the success of these relies on as many people seeing it through the media as possible to gain traction.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Looking forward for both OS', this is Apple's time to deliver.

I can see it now, after WWDC ends, it'll be all iPhone 5, with a little bit of the iPods, until September.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Probably the icloud announcement and demo, since they got the licenses. It would be nice if the new iphone was there, too.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Sign that the cloud music service will be international from the get-go? That would be an impressive feat.

nofunsir

Suspended
Dec 30, 2009
Reno
Visual effect. So was the "Tunnel" in the "App Universe" thingy last time.

Yeah. I just googled it too.

Though it would be nice to have some depth to the interface (please not 3D though), the closest thing of which we have is the reflection on the mini app dock.

jhvander

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2006
I WANT an iPhone nano. i don't watch the screen. I want a small phone that does everything without a big screen there!! gimme!!!

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Among all the things that could be announced, I wonder if there's any possibility that an iBooks for OSX could be one of them. I don't know what's been preventing that, so I've been wondering lately if Apple's deals with various publishing companies extends to iDevices only.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
It must be something really big, Think on the scale of the iPad, maybe even bigger.

No. No no no no no. PLEASE don't start thinking this way otherwise we'll have a week and a half of unrealistic expectations followed by a tsunami of moaning when Apple doesn't deliver a 1mm thin iPhone. Apple inviting tech writers to WWDC isn't that surprising surely and while it does suggest there'll be something worth reporting on it's far more likely to be Lion / iOS 5 / Cloud Music than anything else (and I wouldn't place bets on Cloud Music at this point either, they may hold that back for September as it'd be a better fit there).

Sure, think everyone would like to see the new iPhone rollout in June / July as it has done previously but wouldn't it be good to be pleasantly surprised if it does rather than let down if it doesn't?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
No. No no no no no. PLEASE don't start thinking this way otherwise we'll have a week and a half of unrealistic expectations followed by a tsunami of moaning when Apple doesn't deliver a 1mm thin iPhone. Apple inviting tech writers to WWDC isn't that surprising surely and while it does suggest there'll be something worth reporting on it's far more likely to be Lion / iOS 5 / Cloud Music than anything else (and I wouldn't place bets on Cloud Music at this point either, they may hold that back for September as it'd be a better fit there).

Sure, think everyone would like to see the new iPhone rollout in June / July as it has done previously but wouldn't it be good to be pleasantly surprised if it does rather than let down if it doesn't?

What if there is some new product that hasn't been leaked at all? Something to totally catch everyone off guard? Not the iPhone 5, or Lion or iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.