Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
I can charge my iPad totally fine over USB when running OSX. However, when I am running Windows 7 using BootCamp it does not charge. I've tried both USB ports but the iPad comes up with Not Charging on both.
Is there any way to fix this?

caderousse

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I can charge my iPad totally fine over USB when running OSX. However, when I am running Windows 7 using BootCamp it does not charge. I've tried both USB ports but the iPad comes up with Not Charging on both.
Is there any way to fix this?

I am having the exact same problem. Is there any way to fix this? I use windows 7 about half the time I'm on my iMac. I want to be able to charge it...

whotony

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
The USB port on those devices probably isn't compatible. I have an old MacBook and while it keeps from losing battery it will not charge. You have to plug it into a wall and also use the big charger plug not the small square one.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
The USB port on those devices probably isn't compatible. I have an old MacBook and while it keeps from losing battery it will not charge. You have to plug it into a wall and also use the big charger plug not the small square one.

Did you not read? The OP states that the Mac works fine with OS X, but not with Windows 7 (the same machine). My G5 tower does not charge the iPad through its USB port, so there is probably something specific in 10.6 that allows it to charge through the computer.

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
iPads require more power to charge... the adapter is a (10Watt) adapter and will not charge from an iPhone or ipod charger (5Watt)... usually computers dont offer enough power from the USB ports to charge any of the iPads (ver 1 or 2), so it is surprising that it was charging it at all...

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It's a problem with the Windows USB driver. The iPad says "not charging" but if you keep the iPad screen off, it will charge, albeit slowly.

caderousse

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Guys I have a 2010 iMac. When I boot into Mac OS X, I can charge the ipad via the USB ports.

But when I run bootcamp (Windows 7), suddenly I can't charge the ipad even though it's through the exact same USB port.

So I know it's not a hardware issue, it's a software issue. Any ideas?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I still don't know why you'd even want to charge an iPad over USB. It takes long enough with the wall plug.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
iPads require more power to charge... the adapter is a (10Watt) adapter and will not charge from an iPhone or ipod charger (5Watt)... usually computers dont offer enough power from the USB ports to charge any of the iPads (ver 1 or 2), so it is surprising that it was charging it at all...

The iPhone chargers work just fine on the iPads. I've used mine numerous times.

OP: That's pretty strange that it will charge on OS X but not Win 7. For what it's worth, I can't charge mine on a custom built Win 7 machine.

EDIT*

Hi,
I am using a software called Asus AI Charger to charge my iPad 2 under windows. Hope this helps. That software can be downloaded at http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/ai_charger/

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

whotony

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
Did you not read? The OP states that the Mac works fine with OS X, but not with Windows 7 (the same machine). My G5 tower does not charge the iPad through its USB port, so there is probably something specific in 10.6 that allows it to charge through the computer.

I missed that one word, bootcamp but I did read. do you have anything helpful to add or are you just being a jackass to show off.

yohaniv

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
Using front USB port on my 5 yo Dell Precision I can confirm, that it can charge iPad, even if it say it does not. But it takes around 20 hours from about zero to 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.