Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
im contemplating getting a refurb and doing this vs a 2011 imac. my only hesitation is that the entry level sandybridge mac pros will probably be extremely faster when they come out so I dont know if I should hold off or not. my hackintosh still works fine.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
tough call lots of people think you will need to wait until dec for a new mac pro. since you say your hackintosh works i would wait.

It could be that the 2010 quad gets as low as 1700 after the sandybridge comes out. Making a hex 3.2 cost as low as 2100 after sale of the 2.8 cpu. Also the new machine could be killer fast even the base model!

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
Just wanted you to know that I did the installation step by step and so far everything seems great.
I'll be watching the temps and performance to make sure that everything is stable. I read that it can take up to 200 hours for the thermal paste to set correctly.
If there are any hiccups I'll report back, but I want to thank you again for your patience and sound advice, one and all.

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Just wanted you to know that I did the installation step by step and so far everything seems great.
I'll be watching the temps and performance to make sure that everything is stable. I read that it can take up to 200 hours for the thermal paste to set correctly.
If there are any hiccups I'll report back, but I want to thank you again for your patience and sound advice, one and all.

good I am glad it is working. remember to keep a clone of your osx offline in case of any software update issues.

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
good I am glad it is working. remember to keep a clone of your osx offline in case of any software update issues.
Thanks for the advice. I did make a clone of my osx and data (everything because I don't keep that much on the ssd) when I first bought the computer and installed the ssd.
Has it ever happened that suddenly the system with the new cpu wouldn't work after an update? I see there was a debate earlier in the thread about the possibility, though it sounds remote.
I guess if something suddenly happened I would just have to boot from the install DVD or from the clone with the earlier system on it. What would the symptoms be if one did a software update and there was a problem?
I suppose if there turns out to be an incompatibility between the cpu and an update either I would have to leave an earlier dated system on the computer or re-install the stock cpu to confirm the problem.
Thanks again

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Thanks for the advice. I did make a clone of my osx and data (everything because I don't keep that much on the ssd) when I first bought the computer and installed the ssd.
Has it ever happened that suddenly the system with the new cpu wouldn't work after an update? I see there was a debate earlier in the thread about the possibility, though it sounds remote.
I guess if something suddenly happened I would just have to boot from the install DVD or from the clone with the earlier system on it. What would the symptoms be if one did a software update and there was a problem?
I suppose if there turns out to be an incompatibility between the cpu and an update either I would have to leave an earlier dated system on the computer or re-install the stock cpu to confirm the problem.
Thanks again

My hex 3.2 has always worked.

The only other cpu upgrades in macs that I know much about were done to mac mini's.
The 2006-07-08 intel models were cpu upgradable to a mac of a c2d 2.33ghz t7600 cpu from intel. They all work to this day. I know of 7 owners. Saving a clone is just a precaution.

You are welcome.

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
My hex 3.2 has always worked.

The only other cpu upgrades in macs that I know much about were done to mac mini's.
The 2006-07-08 intel models were cpu upgradable to a mac of a c2d 2.33ghz t7600 cpu from intel. They all work to this day. I know of 7 owners. Saving a clone is just a precaution.

You are welcome.
So far so good. My Geekbench score is 15400 with 64 bit, and 13700 with 32 bit.
I have a question about the Memory performance. On the Geekbench test my Memory Performance result is around 5500 and the Stream is 7736.
However, when I compare a Xbench test to around to one I did one month ago, it is approximately the same in general, except the Memory Test was 490 before and is now around 460. The Allocate, Fill, and Copy results are slightly lower than before as well. I don't know if this is significant, or whether it would be the same result even with the original Quad Core cpu that came with the computer. The computer has the same SSD and the 12GB OWC RAM (1066ghz) that I installed originally. Out of curiosity, I performed the Xbench test several times, but the result, though varying, is always a bit lower than the test from last month.
I really don't understand all of the meaning behind the details of the results, but was a bit curious about this.
I think with the Geekbench results--I looked at their results browser for similar spec machines--the memory and stream results are in line. I think they compare approximately to the Geekbench results you posted originally as well.
Any thoughts?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
So far so good. My Geekbench score is 15400 with 64 bit, and 13700 with 32 bit.
I have a question about the Memory performance. On the Geekbench test my Memory Performance result is around 5500 and the Stream is 7736.
However, when I compare a Xbench test to around to one I did one month ago, it is approximately the same in general, except the Memory Test was 490 before and is now around 460. The Allocate, Fill, and Copy results are slightly lower than before as well. I don't know if this is significant, or whether it would be the same result even with the original Quad Core cpu that came with the computer. The computer has the same SSD and the 12GB OWC RAM (1066ghz) that I installed originally. Out of curiosity, I performed the Xbench test several times, but the result, though varying, is always a bit lower than the test from last month.
I really don't understand all of the meaning behind the details of the results, but was a bit curious about this.
I think with the Geekbench results--I looked at their results browser for similar spec machines--the memory and stream results are in line. I think they compare approximately to the Geekbench results you posted originally as well.
Any thoughts?

xbench weighs ssd/hdd a lot geekbench weighs cpu a lot. My xbench score did not improve much my geekbench went way up. neither really reflect ram that well.

for real life my handbrake times are much improved. 40 minute jobs are now 24-26

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
xbench weighs ssd/hdd a lot geekbench weighs cpu a lot. My xbench score did not improve much my geekbench went way up. neither really reflect ram that well.

for real life my handbrake times are much improved. 40 minute jobs are now 24-26
I repeated a Handbrake test that I did on the Quad Core 1 month ago. It was a small job used for a test on another thread. My time went down from 5 minutes 2 seconds and 45 fps to 3 minutes 49 S and 62.5 fps. Not bad.

Two Questions:
1. The temperature of the cpu by the end of the encoding was between 52 to 54 C (125-129 F). I presume this is normal. Idle temps are around 31C to 32C (87 to 89 F). Don't know what would happen if the job was for hours. As far as I know the fans had not kicked in by the end of the job.(Only a 4 minute job) I did the encoding twice and the temps and times were the same. I didn't look at the temps on the Quad Core one month ago. (I realize that you have customized your control of temps and I could do the same to lower temps eventually.) But are these temperatures within the norm and ok?
2. I mentioned that when I did the XBench test a few times that one test was now just a bit lower than with the Quad Core one month ago: the Memory Test was 490 before and is now around 455-460 (today 472). The Allocate, Fill, and Copy results are slightly lower than before as well. I presume this is a test for RAM performance. Not a big change and perhaps it has no meaning and they might have been lower now even with the old Quad Core left in. Just wondering why.
If as you say Xbench doesn't really reflect RAM performance that well, then probably the variance is meaningless..

You certainly are right about cpu usage. I used Activity Monitor during both tests and the Xbench hardly uses cpu at all.
Thanks Again

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I repeated a Handbrake test that I did on the Quad Core 1 month ago. It was a small job used for a test on another thread. My time went down from 5 minutes 2 seconds and 45 fps to 3 minutes 49 S and 62.5 fps. Not bad.

Two Questions:
1. The temperature of the cpu by the end of the encoding was between 52 to 54 C (125-129 F). I presume this is normal. Idle temps are around 31C to 32C (87 to 89 F). Don't know what would happen if the job was for hours. As far as I know the fans had not kicked in by the end of the job.(Only a 4 minute job) I did the encoding twice and the temps and times were the same. I didn't look at the temps on the Quad Core one month ago. (I realize that you have customized your control of temps and I could do the same to lower temps eventually.) But are these temperatures within the norm and ok?

Keep clocking the cpu temps prolonged (More then an hour) 67 c and above is bad. If you do enough intensive cpu work they will approach that number. BTW they would also get that high with the quad core. This is why some of us use special software to control the fans. Apple fan controls tend to push quiet over cool.

2. I mentioned that when I did the XBench test a few times that one test was now just a bit lower than with the Quad Core one month ago: the Memory Test was 490 before and is now around 455-460 (today 472). The Allocate, Fill, and Copy results are slightly lower than before as well. I presume this is a test for RAM performance. Not a big change and perhaps it has no meaning and they might have been lower now even with the old Quad Core left in. Just wondering why.
If as you say Xbench doesn't really reflect RAM performance that well, then probably the variance is meaningless..

{I have never quite understood this drop off,but when I use the system everything is faster so I don't worry so much.

(xbench is an old program no updates in years.)}

You certainly are right about cpu usage. I used Activity Monitor during both tests and the Xbench hardly uses cpu at all.
Thanks Again

Just keep an eye on the cpu temps your numbers are great 15 c under danger.

If you get too much heat i would help you install the imenus software that allows up to 6 speed settings. cost is 16 usd

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
Just keep an eye on the cpu temps your numbers are great 15 c under danger.

If you get too much heat i would help you install the imenus software that allows up to 6 speed settings. cost is 16 usd

I just wonder what would have happened if I had been encoding using Handbrake for hours. I presume it is normal for temps to rise like that during encoding. Eventually I will have to test it on a longer project.

Any ideas on the Memory test with Xbench being slightly lower now than before or is this test, as you say, not very accurate or RAM specific?
The Imenus software that you refer to sounds interesting. Eventually I will go for this. I am curious at what cpu temperature my fans would have kicked in with the default Apple system I'm using. Certainly not at 52-54C. Idle or low usage temps remain at 31-32C. Skype with video both directions around 44C. Seems ok.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

sjordan

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
I was wondering if it would be ok to get one of those engineering sample versions of the w3680 or w3690 and do this upgrade on the 2010 mp

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I was wondering if it would be ok to get one of those engineering sample versions of the w3680 or w3690 and do this upgrade on the 2010 mp

well I tested a real w3680 vs my machine a w3670 it is not much better.

I know the temptation to buy an 800 dollar w3690 is powerful, but even if it works perfectly you don't gain a lot. over the safer cheaper warrantied w3670 mod.

10000 base quad 15500 my hex mod a 55% percent jump.

you will get a score of 16655 with the w3690. a 66% increase

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=278853&d=1301474509

DasShrubber

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
Nice thread. I already own a 2009 4.1 Mac Pro, so I'm going to update the processors to two W5590's with 24GB of memory. I'll keep the old processor, board plate, memory, etc while testing the new one.

All in it should run me about $2700.00

A couple of questions

1) When I swap out the processor board, will I need to rebuild the computer?
2) Is there a market for the old board/processor/memory?

Thanks

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
the 2009 2 cpu upgrade is more complex then the 2010 single cpu upgrade. selling off the old cpus should be doable , but you only need swap cpus the rest stays put and the oem board gets flashed. there are some threads on it. maybe someone will help with a link.

DasShrubber

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
I think what I want is in here. I've already purchased the 2mm thermal pad, so should be ok. Washers... Home Hardware here I come... micrometer in hand.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/781908/

now question about memory.

1) If I upgrade the firmware to 5,1 will it accept 1333 modules in place of 1066?
2) Can it use Registered memory, or should I stick with Unbuffered memory?
3) Is the Max memory 64GB, or 32GB?

Last edited:

hammten

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
I think what I want is in here. I've already purchased the 2mm thermal pad, so should be ok. Washers... Home Hardware here I come... micrometer in hand.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/781908/

now question about memory.

1) If I upgrade the firmware to 5,1 will it accept 1333 modules in place of 1066?
2) Can it use Registered memory, or should I stick with Unbuffered memory?
3) Is the Max memory 64GB, or 32GB?

If my memory serves me correctly, the 2009 can take 1333 modules, it is the CPU that determines if the 1333 is seen as 1333 or 1066. One of the mac pro vets can correct me if im wrong...

You can use unreg memory or reg, but i would suggest going with reg

I think max is 64, phil found some massive capacity modules, but i dont think anyone reported back with any testing results

DasShrubber

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
Thanks Phil,

I ordered 6 sticks. No Tax, No shipping.

Do the processors have to be matched? And is 1400 a good price for a pair of processors?

Last edited:

hammten

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks Phil,

I ordered 6 sticks. No Tax, No shipping.

Do the processors have to be matched? And is 1400 a good price for a pair of processors?

They do have to be matched, and we need the model cpu to tell you if that is a good price.

Btw, that is a great price on that ram!

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Thanks for the guide, about to do this to a base 2.8 quad that I just purchased. I ordered the chip off Amazon, since there's no tax, I'm a Prime member, plus I can use my American Express awards points. This is the chip I ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80613W3670-Xeon-W3670-Processor/dp/B004O4XPQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1309189787&sr=1-1

Model/SKU matches, but just want a second pair of eyes to make sure I got the right chip. Plan to do this simple but amazing upgrade sometime this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.