Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 28, 2011, 06:39 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung's Lawyers Demand to See iPhone 5 and iPad 3

Thisismynext points out that Samsung has filed a motion Friday night asking Apple to turn over the iPhone 5 and iPad 3 as part of the discovery process in the ongoing Samsung/Apple legal feud.
Quote:
Samsung claims that it needs to see Apple‚€™s future products because devices like the Droid Charge and Galaxy Tab 10.1 will presumably be in the market at the same time as the iPhone 5 and iPad 3, and Samsung‚€™s lawyers want to evaluate any possible similarities so they can prepare for further potential legal action from Apple.
The demand comes after Apple's lawyers were granted access to Samsung's upcoming devices.

To be clear, access on each side is restricted to the lawyers involved and not any of the engineers from either company. Thisismynext believes this is just a calculated gamble for additional leverage, and that the whole motion sounds strange and based on many assumptions.
Quote:
That means talks have been at a standstill for a long time now, and I wouldn‚€™t be surprised if Samsung was trying to put some additional heat on Apple to try and kick negotiations back into gear.
Apple filed suit against Samsung over its Galaxy line of hardware and similarities to the iPhone and iPad lines.

Article Link: Samsung's Lawyers Demand to See iPhone and iPad 3

Last edited by arn; May 28, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:42 PM   #2
TheOrioles33
macrumors 6502

Show me yours and I'll show you mine!! LOL!!
TheOrioles33 is offline   65 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Mjmar
macrumors 65816

This is getting juicy
Mjmar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:49 PM   #4
iJays
macrumors regular

wanna bet that Apple will now drop the initial charges
iJays is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Glideslope
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrioles33 View Post
Show me yours and I'll show you mine!! LOL!!
ROFLMAO. You are Soooo correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJays View Post
wanna bet that Apple will now drop the initial charges
Want to loose some $?

Last edited by annk; May 29, 2011 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Post merge - please use the multi-quote function
Glideslope is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:52 PM   #6
*LTD*
Banned

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Weak.

Really, Samsung?

You were already ordered to produce your knockoffs to Apple. THIS is your response??
*LTD* is offline   -40 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Cartaphilus
macrumors 6502a

I can understand that Apple needs to see what Samsung is going to be releasing to determine if those products as well infringe on Apple's IP rights, but what could be Samsung's legal argument for seeing what Apple is working on? I assume the judge accepts, tacitly or otherwise, that Apple has a plausible case that Samsung's current products infringe, but Samsung hasn't made concomitant allegations against Apple. Any practitioners have any thoughts?
Cartaphilus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:53 PM   #8
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

getting childish ... from both sides ...

Apple could be confident enough and a bit proud of to be the master template for others.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:54 PM   #9
hlfway2anywhere
macrumors 6502

Haha. Good for Samsung. Very smart response. Obviously I still side with apple here, but i think they could use a taste of their own arrogance once in awhile.
hlfway2anywhere is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:54 PM   #10
dreamworks21
macrumors newbie

Honestly, we just want it for legality's sake. Trust us!
dreamworks21 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:55 PM   #11
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Haha .. good luck with that Samsung. You are really going to need it. Apple doesn't show their stuff under any circumstances.
Old May 28, 2011, 06:55 PM   #12
barberio
macrumors regular

Hard for them to push for this, since Apple were seeking disclosure access to announced and advertised devices, while Samsung are seeking access to devices they are theorising must exist. Basically, Apple can say they are working with various prototypes, but have no set device yet, and no one can say anything otherwise. Apple's tight-lipped refusal to confirm they're ever working on a new model works in their favour here.
barberio is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:58 PM   #13
javaGuru
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Was this request before or after samsung's lawyers searched local bars close to Apple?
javaGuru is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfway2anywhere View Post
Haha. Good for Samsung. Very smart response. Obviously I still side with apple here, but i think they could use a taste of their own arrogance once in awhile.
Is it a smart response? Apple requested hardware that was already publicly demoed. Samsung is requesting non public hardware.
Matthew Yohe is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:58 PM   #15
iJays
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
Want to loose some $?
you win some...you loose some
iJays is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 06:58 PM   #16
maclancer
macrumors member

Samsung is a loser... Bunch of morons.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:00 PM   #17
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberio View Post
Hard for them to push for this, since Apple were seeking disclosure access to announced and advertised devices, while Samsung are seeking access to devices they are theorising must exist. Basically, Apple can say they are working with various prototypes, but have no set device yet, and no one can say anything otherwise. Apple's tight-lipped refusal to confirm they're ever working on a new model works in their favour here.
So, Apple is going to say to judge (under oath) that they do not have a prototype of iPhone 5 yet, right? They are not stupid. They may try to refuse on some other ground but not by lying.
lilo777 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 07:00 PM   #18
shigzeo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to shigzeo
This is the same Samsung that hires its ex-CEO who resigned after tax evasion. Samsung don't do things legally in Korea, so maybe they try to pull their sox up whilst abroad.

The show me yours stuff? I don't like it, but it's the way it is. I wish someone would be able to break Samsung's haughtiness. But no company is large enough to tackle every breech of trust that Samsung have set up.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Nemokrad
macrumors newbie

Apple could potentially really lose out here because even though just the lawyers will see the future products, they would still relay the info to Samsung's people and they could gain a competitive advantage by being to market with the same features as Apple at the same time. Hopefully the court sees it this way too.
Nemokrad is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 07:01 PM   #20
Repo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Samsung's lawyers want to evaluate any possible similarities so they can prepare for further potential legal action from Apple.
Come on Samsung, don't be so obvious. >_>
Repo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 07:01 PM   #21
MH01
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Weak.

Really, Samsung?

You were already ordered to produce your knockoffs to Apple. THIS is your response??
Yup, predicatble and very weak response as per every thread since 2009....
MH01 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 07:02 PM   #22
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Doesn't make sense. Apple doesn't sue because Samsung makes phones that look like an iPhone. Apple sues because Samsung makes phones that look exactly like the Apple's design patents. Either there are design patents, then Samsung needs to look at those, or there are none, then Apple hasn't protected their design and it is free to copy.
gnasher729 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 07:03 PM   #23
barberio
macrumors regular

This is akin to putting "The President of the United States on January 21st 2013" on your Witness list. Sure, it's quite likely that person will be Barack Obama, but there's no way the court can accept such a submission because it can't predict the future.

Apple simply have to say they have no set plans for an iPhone 5 or iPhone 4GS yet, and the court isn't in a position to say otherwise.
barberio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 07:05 PM   #24
Kentochan
macrumors 6502

Kinda defeats the purpose of Apple suing Samsung in the first place...
Old May 28, 2011, 07:07 PM   #25
joeviddy
macrumors newbie

Actually the pool of people that will have access to said devices could, most likely would, be more than suggested.

At the very least Samsung's pool of experts witnesses will have access to review and examine the devices. Depending on how the judge rules, it could be produced and stored at opposing counsel (with the potential for hefty security) or just examined at Apple's facilities.

Also, if stored at opposing counsel, the likelihood that paralegal and support staff having access to the device increases significantly.
joeviddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion