Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
So here's the story, again at the genius bar in Opera Paris, he looked up serial, said it was 3rd iPad, it's the 4th but anyways (I swapped once at the Louvre, 1. Bezel lift 2.bleed 3.dead pixels, but more like pin prick in led layer 4.bleed) didn't even ask my name? Do they have my photo/credentials/firstborn?!

Genius: Camera app and hand over lens for black test screen, quick glance around the screen cupped hand, asked if it was in all corners, I said yes but more so it's left border visible from seating area for Genius bar even in safari page chooser but the bar itself is spot lit. So he tells me look it's a known issue, you can swap now, you can wait 2-3 months, if we give you one today it's highly likely it has same issue. So geniuses can see it with a cupped hand.

It's a known issue and unfortunately nothing we can do about it at this time, kept saying 2-3 months. This sounds like LGs new fiscal quarter rumored where defect would be corrected. I asked if it was LG screens he said he didn't know it could be Samsung/Sony/LG (Sony?). I was like look I know LCD's have their problems, he's like no no no it's a known issue. Replacement has bleed, we observed it under counter 100% brightness but not as bad as original, maybe ok take home and see. He asked if it was ok I was like dude look at the spotlights in here! He agreed.

What inspired confidence was he said look, it doesn't matter, we will change it until you're happy. Really surprised by Apples attitude here in France considering the problems some of you guys are having re returns. No one time only ******** change it now or never, just bring it back if you're not happy and that's every time I called in. But yea they noticed 3/4 change, I explained why. Rightly so he was delaying me 2-3months, its the only time they'll have this fixed, genius' words. Also I asked about worldwide warranty as I bought in France and reside UK, again no problem it doesn't matter (until I meet those a******s at Sheffield Apple Store UK, worth the cost of the flight to France).

But equally when you've bought the smart cover, hdmi adaptor and a ******** from iTunes well yes they should be accommodating! The shopping doesn't end with the iPad purchase, and I'm not inclined to download from iTunes with yellow spots all over the shop. They're only getting away with this as it's hush hush, it's defective and they admit it (should record genius appointment) just not everyone notices, cutting their losses I guess. It would seem every ipad2 has bleed to a varying degree and recall would be horrendous, basically all of them.

Serial ipad No.5 is DLXFFK they're all as bad!!!*

Incidentally there was another dude getting ipad2 replaced. Brown boxes aplenty, drawers full behind G bar.

Yes I know, cool story bro, but it's good to hear what's happening at store return level.

Thanks for taking the time to post. We all help each other out here by sharing our stories. It is SO hit-and-miss with these iPads...unbelievable.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
My launch day iPad had bleed around the edges and to the right of the home button. Had it sawpped today as I was near an apple store and got the speech about one time replacement yada yada. New one thankfully has no bleed, DLXFK serial.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
My launch day iPad had bleed around the edges and to the right of the home button. Had it sawpped today as I was near an apple store and got the speech about one time replacement yada yada. New one thankfully has no bleed, DLXFK serial.

DLXFKs seem to have the best luck. I was amongst the first to report a good DLXFK on here (5/13) and it seems to be holding true with few exceptions.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
Good, I'm going to pick up an AT&T iPad 2 64GB tomorrow and I'm going to ask for an iPad with DLX as the first 3 letters in the serial number (these seem to be the best) and they have done this before when I got my 4th generation touch (I'm sure all of us remember the other type of light leak)

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Returned my launch iPad 2 64Gb w/ Verizon a couple weeks ago, waited a while to find an AT&T model, 16 or 32. That one had a fair amount of visible bleeding.

Found a 16GB ATT black one today at Best Buy, and it has pretty bad bleeding, worse than my first. Going back before return policy.. sigh.

JM2-uk

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
I was in a large Apple store yesterday. Of all the demo units I saw, every one had BLB. About 10 of them.

Nothing has changed it seems :)

rylandk

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

Note to all of you who have gone through 4-5 replacement units due to light bleed / stuff under glass / dead pixels:

1. Call your local Apple store and ask to speak with a manager. Complain until they say that the best solution would be to refund your money because your "standards are too high".

2. Hang up and immediately call AppleCare and ask for Customer Relations. Next, inform them of the conversation you just had with the store manager. Tell them that you don't want to return the iPad but instead want a working one, and "pledge your allegiance to Apple". (I just told them I had spent about $20,000 on their products in my life and wasn't afraid to stop). I told them that the cost of my time / gas / phone minutes far exceeded the cost of the 3G model and that I would like to be compensated. You will be put on hold and they will tell you that they can't do anything. Demand that they call your local store an threaten to buy a Xoom.

3. Customer relations will call the retail store on your behalf and upgrade you to a 3G model at no cost.

4. Return again if bleed persists, but enjoy your shiny 64gb wifi+3G model!

It's the least they can do... I have gone through 6, this being the 7th (still has minor bleed, serial - DN6F). What's also cool is they can't do a direct exchange so they actually return yours and give you the upgraded one. I argued and got the AppleCare termination date moved up to two years from the date of said return.

Your mileage may vary, but if you are good on the phone you can get something for your troubles. I think it is more than fair.

Good luck.

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
You guys are a bit crazy. It's just light bleed?! Can't be seen in normal usage!
My TV has light bleed too - it's pretty common. Going through 6-7 exchanges is downright obsessive.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
a friend of mine bought one with backlight bleeding

he's been told to use for a few weeks in order for the glue to be absolutely dry

then the info was true, after a few weeks of intensive use, there is no more bleeding

being patient should be useful for a lot of you ;)

i guess that the ipad being out of stock everywhere is also because people are claiming defective products asking for an exchange

Kiersten

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Note to all of you who have gone through 4-5 replacement units due to light bleed / stuff under glass / dead pixels:

1. Call your local Apple store and ask to speak with a manager. Complain until they say that the best solution would be to refund your money because your "standards are too high".

2. Hang up and immediately call AppleCare and ask for Customer Relations. Next, inform them of the conversation you just had with the store manager. Tell them that you don't want to return the iPad but instead want a working one, and "pledge your allegiance to Apple". (I just told them I had spent about $20,000 on their products in my life and wasn't afraid to stop). I told them that the cost of my time / gas / phone minutes far exceeded the cost of the 3G model and that I would like to be compensated. You will be put on hold and they will tell you that they can't do anything. Demand that they call your local store an threaten to buy a Xoom.

3. Customer relations will call the retail store on your behalf and upgrade you to a 3G model at no cost.

4. Return again if bleed persists, but enjoy your shiny 64gb wifi+3G model!

It's the least they can do... I have gone through 6, this being the 7th (still has minor bleed, serial - DN6F). What's also cool is they can't do a direct exchange so they actually return yours and give you the upgraded one. I argued and got the AppleCare termination date moved up to two years from the date of said return.

Your mileage may vary, but if you are good on the phone you can get something for your troubles. I think it is more than fair.

Good luck.

that won't work for folks like me who bought the 64GB 3G AT&T(or Verizon) iPad 2.... what is the Apple Store going to upgrade it to? :D

Extract0r

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
DN6FQ (#2 from Sam's Club) - Bad (dust + lint under the screen)

I am officially done looking for a perfect iPad 2. Good luck to all.

MayorQuimby

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
You guys are a bit crazy. It's just light bleed?! Can't be seen in normal usage!
My TV has light bleed too - it's pretty common. Going through 6-7 exchanges is downright obsessive.

I'm fine with negligible bleeding but my iPad had a good 2 inch globe of white emanating from the edge which was obviously a deal-breaker. I'll just wait until good pads are coming out en masse and hold onto my money until then. To each his/her own!

trollied

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2009
Sheffield, UK
I picked up a 64Gb wifi model on Friday. There's bleeding in all 4 corners.

I can't see it/don't notice unless I look for it, so I'll not be returning it.

Loving it though. Pleased I upgraded from an iPad 1.

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
I'm fine with negligible bleeding but my iPad had a good 2 inch globe of white emanating from the edge which was obviously a deal-breaker. I'll just wait until good pads are coming out en masse and hold onto my money until then. To each his/her own!

Hm, could you post a picture? I am just a bit curious how many of these cases are people overreacting and how many are a genuine problem. I think this has gotten a bit out of hand (at least in this thread). Probably some cases ARE too much, but many of those complaining here simply have light bleeding similar to how it is in many other devices. Not great that it is like that but hardly something worth exchanging 7 or 8 times...:eek:

Just to reiterate: if it's not a problem in normal usage, then it's not a problem. And I would not consider being able to see small spots of light in the black bars of a 16:9 movies a problem...a small nuisance perhaps, but not something worth the hassle of exchanging the device that many times. I am surprised Apple allows it actually. They should simply offer the customers their money back - but not keep exchanging it. Of course, the customers could just keep buying new iPads then, I guess, so maybe it doesn't matter for them.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I have just got my second iPad 2 at best buy, this one is better but still has it.
Read it as: week-(factory-user-condition).

---

iPad2 BACKLIGHT BLEEDING issue forum reports:

7 week 07 (seems none manufactured before week 7, well maybe... (X-stevejobs-OK))

8 week 08 (X-xaldafax-OK)

9 week 09 (X-jps1012-OK)

C week 10

D week 11 (X-danito85-bad) (X-thisisfunah-bad)

F week 12 (X-mvp2206-bad) (X-KevinM2-bad) (X-HardLuckStories-bad) (X-Hello-bad)

G week 13 (X-kiko-OK) (X-roflc0pter-bad)

H week 14

J week 15 (X-ClairebearZac-OK) (X-boraxatude-bad) (X-Macdude2010-bad)

K week 16 (X-nickbarbs-OK) (X-sword28-OK) (T-hughmann-bad) (T-jaikob-OK) (X-built-OK) (X-built-OK) (X-hughmannVendor-OK) (X-chinit0-bad) (X-Satdude-bad) (X-jbud72-OK) (X-bcterp-OK)

L week 17 (X-Tobster3-bad) (6-tehstk-bad) (6-gkarris-bad)

M week 18 (6-ryxsolo-bad) (X-Jrfowlessc-bad) (6-blarivee-bad) (6-rummelx-bad) (X-iSamurai-bad) (X-HardLuckStories-OK) (X-BearsFan34-OK) (X-vicenturri-bad) (X-pinkmechanic-bad) (6-jrolson-bad) (6-headhoncho123-OK)

N week 19 (T-hughmann-bad) (X-RossMc-OK) (6-jogales-bad) (6-awjvail-bad) (6-catalyst6-bad) (6-rummelx-bad) (6-Clusty-bad) (X-jason910-OK) (6-doubledown7d-bad) (6-tYNS-bad)

P week 20 (X-alexwai-bad) (X-dquek123-bad) (X-chaicka-OK) (X-ryxsolo-OK) (X-Tobster3-OK) (X-catalyst6-bad) (X-gusnyc-bad) (6-smokingmonkey-bad) (X-corvus32-bad) (X-satdude-OK) (6-catalyst6-OK) (P-bcterp-bad) (6-Extract0r-bad) (6-Extract0r2-bad) (P-blarivee-bad) (6-syclick-bad) (6-Hardway-bad) P-(X-HoriZonUK-bad) (X-teatang-bad)

Q week 21 (X-corvus32-bad) (X-GadgedtAddicted-OK)
R week 22 (X-Macdude2010-bad)
T week 23
V week 24
W week 25
X week 26
Y week 27

(*) X-user-bad, means 'X' is factory DLX, '6' is factory DL6, 'T' for factory DQT and 'P' for factory DMP, all taken from the first 3 of the serial.
(**) 4th character is half of the year. Will be 'F' for first, 'G' for second half.
(***) 5th character is week of manufacturing from previous table.

ps.- If your serial# starts with DLXFP. You have an iPad2 made at (DLX) factory, is made in the first half of the year (F) and on week 20 (P)
ps2.- post your first 5 characters of your serial and if you have a good backlight or the bleeding problem.
ps3.- any error in the table?, let me know.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Hm, could you post a picture? I am just a bit curious how many of these cases are people overreacting and how many are a genuine problem. I think this has gotten a bit out of hand (at least in this thread). Probably some cases ARE too much, but many of those complaining here simply have light bleeding similar to how it is in many other devices. Not great that it is like that but hardly something worth exchanging 7 or 8 times...:eek:

Just to reiterate: if it's not a problem in normal usage, then it's not a problem. And I would not consider being able to see small spots of light in the black bars of a 16:9 movies a problem...a small nuisance perhaps, but not something worth the hassle of exchanging the device that many times. I am surprised Apple allows it actually. They should simply offer the customers their money back - but not keep exchanging it. Of course, the customers could just keep buying new iPads then, I guess, so maybe it doesn't matter for them.
This maybe ok to you. But no small LCD I have ever owned had light leakage like my iPad2. I paid $600 for this and the QC is awful. I have had mine since launch and have waited for this to be fixed.
Apple has too many people like you who except a defective product.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
This maybe ok to you. But no small LCD I have ever owned had light leakage like my iPad2. I paid $600 for this and the QC is awful. I have had mine since launch and have waited for this to be fixed.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you see it), people like mmo does not think that these backlight bleeding iPad 2 units are defective. :( To them, these light bleeding issues being discussed in this thread are just a bunch of BS & that none of the iPad 2 has got any issues at all whatsoever. :eek:

However, one thing for sure is that Apple will definitely love them as they're very accommodating, understanding, but most importantly, loyal! :p :D

Last edited:

MayorQuimby

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011

Mine was close to the worse examples posted on this thread.

As for nuisance - I was unable to watch videos without my eye focusing on the white blob. So I returned it. If you're cool with your blobs or have no blobs or think consumers are being too fussy that's your opinion but I disagree entirely. You might be comfortable driving a new car off the lot with a dent in it as well.

I'm not.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Mine was close to the worse examples posted on this thread.

As for nuisance - I was unable to watch videos without my eye focusing on the white blob. So I returned it. If you're cool with your blobs or have no blobs or think consumers are being too fussy that's your opinion but I disagree entirely. You might be comfortable driving a new car off the lot with a dent in it as well.

I'm not.

If said dent is only viewable under extreme conditions in which no one would ever see or use their vehicle that way, then it's fine.

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
I do not accept a defective product, and if there's something I am not it is an Apple fan boy. Generally, I really dislike Apple, actually, for all their ridiculously closed ways of running things. But the iPad 2 is still the best tablet on the market so I bought that.
The light bleeding can not really be seen as a defect, I think.
I am not saying that SOME of the light bleed cases are not pretty bad. But lots of it is OCD, pure and simple. It means NOTHING in real usage.

If said dent is only viewable under extreme conditions in which no one would ever see or use their vehicle that way, then it's fine.

Excatly! I have yet to see a picture of the iPad 2 where the light bleeding is visible in normal conditions. All picures are in the dark, on a black backgrund with light at 100 %.

PS: I also am not HAPPY with the light bleeding, I would prefer that it was not there, but I CAN accept it as something that should never bother in normal usage.
I guess some of you do have a point in the fact that returning them might pressure Apple to perform better QA, but on the other hand, perhaps the bleeding is just a consequence of the technology used and if it should be eliminated, all iPads would have to be QUITE a lot more expensive.

I am just trying to put things in perspective. Why waste THAT much time on such a relatively minor "problem".

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
I do not accept a defective product, and if there's something I am not it is an Apple fan boy. Generally, I really dislike Apple, actually, for all their ridiculously closed ways of running things. But the iPad 2 is still the best tablet on the market so I bought that.
The light bleeding can not really be seen as a defect, I think.
I am not saying that SOME of the light bleed cases are not pretty bad. But lots of it is OCD, pure and simple. It means NOTHING in real usage.

Excatly! I have yet to see a picture of the iPad 2 where the light bleeding is visible in normal conditions. All picures are in the dark, on a black backgrund with light at 100 %.

PS: I also am not HAPPY with the light bleeding, I would prefer that it was not there, but I CAN accept it as something that should never bother in normal usage.
I guess some of you do have a point in the fact that returning them might pressure Apple to perform better QA, but on the other hand, perhaps the bleeding is just a consequence of the technology used and if it should be eliminated, all iPads would have to be QUITE a lot more expensive.

I am just trying to put things in perspective. Why waste THAT much time on such a relatively minor "problem".

it depends on what conditions you use the iPad2. when viewing movies in a bright room no issue. But I watch movies in low light condition and use 35-50% brightness depending on the movie and I see the the leakage on the bottom and left corner.

its annoying, is it unusable no, distracting YES. I hate when a company gets so pompous to think there products do not have to be QCed properly.(I won apple stock, so as stockholder love the company).

As a consumer not real impressed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.