Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Anyone know if Apple stores will still repair/replace the palm rest/trackpad/keyboard on the white MacBooks? Just picked one up that has a crack on it where you rest your palms. I know they fixed my other one previous at no charge.

clactonlad

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
An authorized repair centre replaced my top case for me free of charge under the program last month. Give it a go.

wedgeman

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
Yes the program is still in effect.

However (based purely on my own professional experience with apple) it will likely be closed for certain models in the next few months.....

Also beware if your machine shows any other signs of issues an AASP can/should (officially)deny you coverage for the flaking case.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Took it in to the Temecula Apple Store today. Said they would replace the palm rest no questions asked. The case was missing a couple of screws from when the LCD was replaced by an authorized Apple repair facility and they said they would replace those as well at no charge.

I have had nothing but great experiences with Apple Support.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
All the models that have this issue are no longer under the 1-year warranty. So, yes. That's the whole point of this program, it's an out-of-warranty fix. If it was an in-warranty fix this question wouldn't have been asked ;)

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Definitely covered for free :) I would have gotten my black palmrest fixed but the associate told me I would have had to make an appointment, bring it back the next day, and not know when I would get it back.

I asked him if he could just tell me if the palm rests were in and they couldn't disclose the information -_-

The closest store is about 1.2 hours away so I wasn't too thrilled... nor did I get it fixerd.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
All the models that have this issue are no longer under the 1-year warranty. So, yes. That's the whole point of this program, it's an out-of-warranty fix. If it was an in-warranty fix this question wouldn't have been asked ;)

Just making sure, I know even some of the newer ones still get the cracked plastic palm rests. Thanks!

I'll take mine in whenever I go to get a Mac Pro towards the end of the summer. A cheaper Pro, free ipod, and fixed cracks all in the same day!

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Just making sure, I know even some of the newer ones still get the cracked plastic palm rests. Thanks!

I'll take mine in whenever I go to get a Mac Pro towards the end of the summer. A cheaper Pro, free ipod, and fixed cracks all in the same day!

Mac Pro? I'm jealous. I wouldn't wait too long. You never know when they will close the repair program for the older laptops since they aren't under warranty anymore.

Ollie4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
I know this post is kinda old but is the program still going? I just picked up a macbook for $200 tonight and it has the palm cracks and discoloration. Will apple still fix this? I am making an appointment tonight and will bring it in tommorow.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I know this post is kinda old but is the program still going? I just picked up a macbook for $200 tonight and it has the palm cracks and discoloration. Will apple still fix this? I am making an appointment tonight and will bring it in tommorow.

Well a little over a month ago they fixed mine. I bet they are still doing it. GL.

Ollie4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Got an appointment at Genius Bar for 5:15 today. I have heard that some people even get there out of warranty battery replaced as well. Is there any chance that they would do that for me? I'm thinking of throwing in the old battery when I go that holds a -1Mah charge according to coconut battery.

Ollie4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
So went to the apple store today and their doing $150.37 worth of repairs for free! All I had to do was fill out some paperwork any leave it with them. Not 5 hours later they called me and said it is ready for pickup. I'm gonna go get it tomorrow.

Ollie4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Just got my Mac Book back today and the click thing on the thing below the trackpad does not feel like it has any click is that normal? if you push it it pushes but you can't feel it clicking. Is that normal? thanks

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Just got my Mac Book back today and the click thing on the thing below the trackpad does not feel like it has any click is that normal? if you push it it pushes but you can't feel it clicking. Is that normal? thanks

No. Mine is some years old and it has a very noticeable, albeit silent click when I press it.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008

It's not normal. I remember buying and returning two white MacBooks in a row because they had the same no-clicking problem that you describe. The third one worked fine. It never stopped working.

Don't listen to Apple fanboys who will tell you "deal with it" or who try to shame you by saying you have OCD. You paid a premium price, so you deserve a premium product. If Apple's quality control improves in the future, it will be in large part to people who return defective products and bring the defects to Apple's attention.

Ollie4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
It's not normal. I remember buying and returning two white MacBooks in a row because they had the same no-clicking problem that you describe. The third one worked fine. It never stopped working.

Don't listen to Apple fanboys who will tell you "deal with it" or who try to shame you by saying you have OCD. You paid a premium price, so you deserve a premium product. If Apple's quality control improves in the future, it will be in large part to people who return defective products and bring the defects to Apple's attention.

When I brought it back to them the next day I showed them and they said It wasn't normal. They replaced it again it worked great after that (sold it and bought a new mbp) they even through in a new battery for my trouble of having to get it repaired a second time.

cshel24

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
I've noticed that my replacement click button (or whatever it is called) is not as good as the original one. It works, but it isn't as easy to click or something. Seems like I have to push harder, and the click isn't as "satisfying" for lack of a better word. I also notice I have to pretty much push on the center of the clicker to make it work. It is not as easy to click w/my thumb and scroll w/index finger like I used to do. I guess with the two finger scroll option, it is pretty much a trivial issue.

I am using this as my "beater"/travel computer because I bought a new MacBook Pro this summer.

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
You guys are lucky. Apple US are great. One of the Apple stores in Los Angeles even replaced the palmrest on my mates 2007 Macbook this summer, even though it was both out of warranty and was originally sold abroad (Sweden).

Unfortunately Apple Sweden are not so nice. I have a discolored palm rest too, but quite frankly, I don't want a lecture about "kids trying to abuse warranty repair services..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.