Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFENDER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hi all, I am taking a 10 day plane, train, and car trip through multiple countries next month and have been researching cases a great deal.

I am considering all the types and styles but was wondering what others use for travel?

I want to have it for down time while traveling. I was considering the otterbox and a back pack but it may be too bulky. I like the Timbuk2 messenger as an option and have searched extensively here about the bag and opinions (size etc).

I also thought a portfolio may work as it protects both sides should the ipad slide down in a bag or get moved around during transit.

Thanks for looking.

SFENDER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
How about this.

So if you were on a plane and wanted to use your ipad, what case would you use?

Also, does the XS timbuk2 look like a purse? I think it might. :eek:

aznbballerno1

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
I suggest checking the Joy Factory's Folio 360 case, with this case, you can basically adjust the iPad any way you want almost any angle and orientation. The interior case is also removable so if you dont want to hold a bulky case while using it, you can detach it as well. It is also a portfolio type case. I think right now they only have it for the iPad 1's but I heard the new ones for iPad2 are coming out soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Factory-F...H0RO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306869574&sr=8-1

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
I am doing a similar trip and I've bought a Timbuk2 slip case, along with my SmartCover, for my iPad 2 itself. It's snug and seems very secure. I also have the Timbuk2 classic messenger Small. It's a perfect bag: just big enough for my ipad 2 with slip case, and a camera, rain jacket, and assorted cords. It's perfect imho. :D

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I would ask the question- do you want to carry a bag for just your iPad or do you want to streamline your luggage? It would depend on how much you expect to have to lug around yu own luggage. If you are carrying it yourself then a separate bag just for you iPad might get in the way and your "folio/backpack" option might be easier. On the other hand what will you do with it when not using it? Do you intend to carry it all the time? If yes, then some type of hands-free messenger bag might work best.

Having travelled extensively I can attest to the fact that the less weight and/or bulk the more enjoyable you trip will be.

SFENDER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks for the great replies. I don't need to carry it everywhere during the day but I may if I can find a good map application.

I would like to avoid the backpack during the day as I agree with the weight issue especially during the Summer but would like a small non purse like bag for lunch, a camera etc. This is a separate issue tho.

One option is a ipad 1 like case and the timbuk2.

Last edited:

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I am about ready to go on the road for two months straight to do BMW training in the Northeast at dealers. We are releasing/training the new 650i. I have a myriad of schemes ready as some days will be diff than others. But overall, I will be moving and traveling to diff hotels every other night. So here's how it breaks down:

1. BMW backpack with a PC compartment in it. This holds a Epson LCD proj too some days.
2. A Cargo case from Waterfield - for short day trips that will house the MacBook Air and Ipad2 along with cables. These days MBA will do event registration, the ipad - on floor video playback
3. Thin sleeves from waterfield for both for inside the backpack
4. Treegloo case for Ipad2 for business presentations with dealer owners - about 2 x a week
5. Smartcover and Xgear shell for in hotel room on the bed work, casual starbucks days off, etc
6. Two Nattal styluses, Logotech usb mini mouse
7. BookBook book cover for Air in-dealership to go stealth mode when on the front table.

So we'll see.....some will scream "anal" and fine with me....

Last edited:

SFENDER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I am about ready to go on the road for two months straight to do BMW training in the Northeast at dealers. We are releasing/training the new 650i. I have a myriad of schemes ready as some days will be diff than others. But overall, I will be moving and traveling to diff hotels every other night. So here's how it breaks down:

1. BMW backpack with a PC compartment in it. This holds a Epson LCD proj too some days.
2. A Cargo case from Waterfield - for short day trips that will house the MacBook Air and Ipad2 along with cables. These days MBA will do event registration, the ipad - on floor video playback
3. Thin sleeves from waterfield for both for inside the backpack
4. Treegloo case for Ipad2 for business presentations with dealer owners - about 2 x a week
5. Smartcover and Xgear shell for in hotel room on the bed work, casual starbucks days off, etc
6. Two Nattal styluses, Logotech usb mini mouse
7. BookBook book cover for Air in-dealership to go stealth mode when on the front table.

So we'll see.....some will scream "anal" and fine with me....

Thanks for the great reply. Also, I am looking forward to the redesign of the 3 series. The 6 is outta my league, for now. Now, one of those BMW backpacks seems cool though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.