Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_2_oblique.jpg

Digitimes reports that Apple has begun certifying components for the iPad 3 with many Taiwan-based manufacturers actively participating.
Taiwan-based component makers for backlight modules and light bars have received certification from Apple, however, the certification of panels is still in progress, added industry sources.
While there has been talk about Apple considering the use of OLED panels for the next iPad, Digitimes' sources believe that this is unlikely with the iPad 3 and that the next generation iPad will use 9.7" LCD panels.

The timing of the launch for the iPad 3 is in 2012 according to the component makers.

Article Link: Apple Begins Certifying Components for 2012 iPad 3, OLED Unlikely

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
OLED is poor in bright light... non-starter for Apple.

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_light-emitting_diode#Disadvantages

Power consumption: While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 60–80% of the power of an LCD – however it can use over three times as much power to display an image with a white background[69] such as a document or website. This can lead to reduced real-world battery life in mobile devices.

Last edited:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
The iPad 2 is an amazing product that has almost completely satiated my tablet needs. The only feature that could make me upgrade this time is a retina display while maintaining the $499 price point.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I personally don't think a quad core is necessary on a device like this, but thats just my opinion, I just don't think any task would make any use of all four cores..

I have no intention of buying an iPad :p, but I think a higher resolution screen is what would be a worth while upgrade.. 1024x768 isn't the best for todays web experience..

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Even if the iPad 3 is just a re-badged iPad 1 it will still sell in record numbers and Apple won't be able to fill the supply channels anyway.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
Probably the same form factor as the iPad2 with improved display and processor and camera with one or two surprises. I'll trade up for sure. Love my iPad2.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
For iPad 3 I'm going to need

Higher resolution screen.
Much Much better cameras. HD Facetime please.
Bluetooth 4.0
SD card slots
450Mbit 802.11n
4G LTE cellular
NFC

credit card reader built right in (joking)

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Hurry up with an E-ink ipad.

And also allow SIM cards to be moved from iphone to ipad and back so that only one need be carried at a time.

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
OLED is poor in bright light... non-starter for Apple.

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_light-emitting_diode#Disadvantages

Power consumption: While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 60–80% of the power of an LCD – however it can use over three times as much power to display an image with a white background[69] such as a document or website. This can lead to reduced real-world battery life in mobile devices.

What type of OLED are you talking about? Is what you are quoting the same for Super AMOLED? Or the recently updated Super AMOLED plus?

Shadow Runner

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
I hardly care if it has OLED. I think most of us here would much rather see doubled resolution.

Even if that is the only upgrade, if the prices stay the same, I'd buy one. I had the first iPad and thought it was just okay. I was not thrilled with the screen. My eyes are very good at seeing up close so those pixels stood out to me. (I can see iPhone 4 pixels if I look carefully enough)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
After skipping iPad 1 and hopping onto the iPad 2 bandwagon, I think I'd like to see in the next iteration:

• Retina Display (going from iPhone 4 to iPad 2 is noticeable)
  • HD cameras front and back (I Facetime my girlfriend and mother quite often)
  • Lighter (it's simply too heavy to hold in one hand for extended periods of time)
  • Faster CPU/GPU (the faster the better, right?)
  • More RAM (the more the better, right?)
  • Bigger storage options (the bigger the better, right?)
  • Some sort of stand would be nice (I don't like having to use a 3rd party case)

I like the prototypes other companies are showing off with phones that slide into tablets... that way all your apps, files, etc are all on one device. It's a pretty neat concept that I think Apple could execute perfectly. It's pretty annoying having to buy separate apps for iPhone and iPad, syncing them with different files/songs/movies, etc etc.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Hurry up with an E-ink ipad.

And also allow SIM cards to be moved from iphone to ipad and back so that only one need be carried at a time.

They can be moved, it's pretty easy to use an iPhone sim in an iPad and an iPad SIM in an iPhone. The barriers to SIM switching are carrier imposed, Apple has very little to no input.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The only 2 things that stand out as performance bottlenecks for me are the weak antenna (always a bar less than a nearby iPhone4), and the USB/30pin interface. Syncing 64GB of data... bleaaaaa. Thunderbolt would make that zip by, and even allow for some external touch-display functionality when used with a workstation or MBP as well. Would be awesomely awesome.

Lighter weight would always be welcome. ...and maybe an edge that's not so sharp to dig into you while you hold it. Maybe.

I'm not sure what a quad-core processor would do that this doesn't already do without a hitch. I can't think of a single time where I thought "shoot, if only this processor could process more faster." And I'd rather have a low-power, more visible display than a zillion more pixels to spend muscle & battery pushing. I like facetimes ability to run pretty low bandwidth, so I'm not sure how a hi-res vidcam would help.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
i can't see apple using OLED anytime soon. The technology still has too many issues for apple to choose it. you get things like burn in, and color balance issues.

As for retina displays on the ipad; I think it would be very costly for apple and therefore the customer. a larger screen allows more chances for defects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.